rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Asura

Planetside 2 - Epic online FPS battles with armies of players (F2P)

OK, just put in a 2 hour session. It helps my crappy laptop to run it in Low settings (although it still looks good). I wish I could articulate just how staggeringly epic this game is, even with only a small beta population. I don't even know where to start describing it all, but the last 15 minutes probably sums it up well. I get cut off from the main action and I'm not sure how to use the warp hub, so I grab an ATV and go exploring. Eventually I chance upon an empty, 1 capture point red base and figure hell, why not. And the bit of the map lights up blue! Sweet. So I go looking for other places I can pick off, miles from the action. I find a massive, 5 point base spread out over something akin to Texas, and I lose track of my bike, so I spend ages legging it around on foot. After a while, someone on my side starts flying CAP above me, which was a nice touch. I get all 5 capture points and I'm twiddling my thumbs, waiting for the capture. Nowt. (was I doing something wrong?). Anyway, for some reason the ! thing lights up for this area on the map, and a couple of bad guys turn up picking off the capture points slightly quicker than I could re-capture. About a minute later, all sides start piling in, so I'm frantically getting the captures when the tide starts turning our way. There's a couple left, and as I'm sprinting toward one in the melee, expecting purple to pick me off, I'm just about there and a ship swoops down in front of my, a dozen of our lads leap out and it swooshes off again. I was like :wub:! And then we eventually took the base.

Totally hooked.

edit - oh, not sure if it's changed since I last played, but there's a blue carat above the head of team mates. It's still almost impossible to know WTF is going on in a melee (and you'll need a hella PC for these), but out in the wild you quickly start to spot the other side. Even vehicles started to get familiar after 2 hours.

Yeah, you're getting it now :)

In the first game, one of the main skills was learning to be able to make sense of the absolute chaos you saw onscreen. That may seem pretty obvious but it's very much something you learn. You also learn how to approach locations, quickly or unseen, and most importantly, you learn how to move so as to avoid situations of friendly fire - either where you get fired upon or where you end up firing upon enemies. Plus, when you're in a squad, you tend to move as a unit, so then it's even less of an issue.

Oh, and you'll need a pad or stick for flying, it's total bobbins on the mouse.

In Planetside 1 I had a Top Gun Afterburner. It made a huge difference because it had a throttle, which you just can't really have on the keyboard. Also, the hat switch and rocker allow you to strafe as well as ascend or descend straight up or down. You had 9 control axes at the same time, which actually was practically unfair; you could figuratively dance around people who were using the mouse in dogfights.

FUCKS SAKE I'VE JUST CHECKED MY EMAILS IM RIGHT THIS NOW DOWNLOADING THE BETA.

omgomgomgomg.

Slightly annoyed that message has been in my inbox for a week, but still. Guild Wars 2's fault.

Zomg it runs amazingly. Super smooth. Looks incredible. Crashed twice in the five mins I played :lol:

Zomg it runs amazingly. Super smooth. Looks incredible. Crashed twice in the five mins I played :lol:

Yeah, crashed on me once too. It's still a little bit unstable, then again, it is a beta.

Yeah, there's graphical quirks. Mine hasn't crashed, but I have everything dialed down. I have had clipping issues though, particularly while sitting in the gunnery position in the drop ship.

Noticed things like "invalid name" above a teammate's head, too. That said, I found it pretty robust for a beta.

This will support clans, right?

Yeah, there's graphical quirks. Mine hasn't crashed, but I have everything dialed down. I have had clipping issues though, particularly while sitting in the gunnery position in the drop ship.

Noticed things like "invalid name" above a teammate's head, too. That said, I found it pretty robust for a beta.

This will support clans, right?

Yeah, almost certainly. In Planetside they're called "outfits". You have Squads, which are like parties, Platoons, which are a group of squads with a nominated Platoon Leader, and Outfits, which are more permanent organisations of players.

Awesome, sounds like EVE fleet ops.

By the way, I agree about the group thing in a melee. If in doubt, follow someone else. Safety in numbers innit. More than one occasion in transpired the guy I followed was as clueless as me, but at least together we stood a better chance against random MAX suits.

Man I just ran around for ten minutes, watched the sunset as I ran around a base takeover which had no opposition. I had no idea what was going on. :wub:

Never going to need another game once this is out.

The graphics are incredible too. Well, the textures and models are a little shonky, but its got brilliant lighting which makes everything just look so solid! The shadows stretching across the floor as the sun dipped past the horizon were amaze. I've cranked everything to max for lols and so far its running about 40-60 fps! Excellent.

Does this have a release date?

Yeah, I fought so long I went through most of a day cycle. It's surprising how it changes the mechanics. During the night, I went crawling through the bushes picking off people with my rifle.

And I only learned this morning, after many drops to my death, that the light assault guy has a bloody jet pack.

I created the curse account normally, then did the proxy thing for the code. Once the code is up you can just copy it out and go to SOE normally

I created the curse account normally, then did the proxy thing for the code. Once the code is up you can just copy it out and go to SOE normally

Yay! worked. Thanks.

Thanks so much for this! Can't wait to try it. Are rllmuk people on any particular server?

Sorry guys, being a bit thick - where do you actually download the client from? It's taken me straight from entering my code to my Account Management page

Never mind, just realise quite how thick I'm being

Oh and forgot to say earlier: I had a sly lol at the NC 'theme tune' while creating a character.

Also picked the only server where NC weren't in majority of player base.

God I want to play more. The last mini go I had, I hot dropped onto a fairly quiet looking base, teamed up with a few guys and took over a couple of buildings under cover of darkness. Playing cat and mouse with a Gunship was hilarious. He couldn't find me in the dark amongst the buildings :D

Switched to infiltrator once we got acess to an equip station. Had fun sniping and ninjaing about.

And it's just so.. massive. It feels like the biggest game I've ever played. The sense of scale is incredible.

And it's just so.. massive. It feels like the biggest game I've ever played. The sense of scale is incredible.

And the crazy thing is, it's not that much bigger in sheer scale than a game that came out in 2003! It really was massively ahead of its time.

Yeah, the scale is incredible. I was stuck spawning at a place we captured, and could hear gunships in the distance. I ran up the hill a bit to see our tanks and helos laying into the cliff side. Cue about a 500m run and scaling a cliff to snipe down on the base they were raining down on.

How do you record? Most of it would have been shit to watch, but that bit would have been epic.

Oh, and headphones essential for knowing where air vehicles are.

Thread needs "2000 player online FPS" in title to catch everyone's attention.

I'm on east coast 3, rather than 2.

Thread needs "2000 player online FPS" in title to catch everyone's attention.

I'm on east coast 3, rather than 2.

Is it 2000 player? Where do you get that figure?

I know it's wiki and I haven't checked the reference, but

PlanetSide 2 will be a re-imagining of PlanetSide, featuring the same world, factions and taking place at roughly the same time period. As in the previous game, it will feature territory control in an open-world, large battles featuring up to 2000 players on foot or in land/air vehicles. The territory system is more complex than in the original PlanetSide, and will play a bigger part in shaping the battlefield.[5]

I tell you what, the instant action thing is amazing. Even on my laptop screen, it makes my stomach lurch as you free fall into the battle zone in that pod. I did one earlier and just as I landed, with explosions all around me, we lost control of the (fairly large) base. I flick M to see where to go next and notice I'm at the bottom of the map, in deep purple territory! Stomach drops, I hear a vehicle (sounds are a bit too loud by the way, any way to sort that? A tank a while away will be pretty loud in my headphones - sound volume needs to convey distance better). Anyway, I haven't had that "oh shit, on my own" feeling in a game for ages.

I'll have to start recording a few videos, writing about these things just doesn't do the game justice.

edit - well, I can't actually see 2000 mentioned in the reference, so take it with a pinch of salt. However, the article did mention this:

On the scale of gameplay

There will be multiple continents in the game just as with the original PlanetSide. Down the road there will even be multiple worlds.

Is the beta a single continent? If so, multiple continents and worlds just blows my mind.

edit 2- although, here's some blurb from the official FAQ:

A:PlanetSide 2 is a Massively Multiplayer first person shooter that delivers truly epic, massive combat on a scale never before seen in stunning, breathtaking detail. Battles take place not between dozens of troops, but thousands; with air and ground vehicles slugging it out alongside squads of troops. Whether in open fields, tightly-packed urban centers or enormous structures, winning requires strategic teamwork and a quick trigger finger.

Oh! Forgot to mention, just had an amazing time in an AA gun on the roof of some massive base we were in the middle of losing. We had a nearby base supplying our own aircraft, but the folk taking the base were looking to land backup. I helped shoot down a drop ship!

So, so much fun. :omg:

Just had my first try at this. First of all: the game is bloody gorgeous! Secondly: I have no idea what I'm doing. Is there a tutorial somewhere or a video guide for noobs?

Just be crap for a couple of hours, it'll come to you. Make sure you follow people around. I hoped into someone's tank as he drove around flag capturing and learned the general idea. That should give you an idea of the basics.

Ah, figured out certifications. I'm not sure how you earn points, but at level 3 I had 39. I went into the infiltrator class and it let me buy certs for 10x zoom and silencer. You need to customise your loadout on the deployment screen to install them though, it's not entirely intuitive. Changed the model user for my rifle, or at least the scope part.

Oh, and just before you fire, hold down shift. He holds his breath for a couple of seconds and steadies the aim. Ah yes, and you can't fire from stealth. My inner rogue is not amused.

edit - damn. I shot 90 seconds of video to show you the instant action capsule drop but the avi is 580meg. I wondered why recording didn't impact the game at all, couldn't have applied any compression. I'll have to squish it down a bit first with handbrake.

edit - alright, I only recorded at medium quality, it's been through handbrake's mp4 and then youtube's compression so it looks a bit tat, and I'm literally on the lowest settings the game will allow. But, here's the capsule drop from clicking instant action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onj9D-gtNxA

Just in case you didn't know, you can actually control your drop pod with the WASD-keys on the way down. Hitting them will cause the pod to "drift" in that direction. Naturally it's only a small influence but it can be quite handy.

EDIT: Also, some general tips that carry over from the first game.

1) Try to get used to not firing the moment you see an enemy. Unlike most FPS titles, in Planetside, you'll frequently get the drop on people, because of the game's sheer scale, but like Halo, it takes a fair few shots to actually score a kill. Before you open fire, you should take a moment to improve your position and ensure that you'll be able to finish off the other person. As you improve you'll get better at doing this faster; it'll also help prevent friendly fire.

2) Don't shoot at vehicles unless you've got an anti-vehicle weapon. This might seem obvious but it takes a while for it to become second nature. This applies especially to ground vehicles. You will never destroy a tank with a rifle. It'll simply never happen (the chances are incredibly small). What you will do is give away your location, which isn't a good exchange! The only exception to this rule is if you're in the open, and you're being fired upon by an aerial vehicle; the red "flashes" of damage can be enough to put off an aerial pilot from strafing your position (but it's purely psychological; again, you'll never kill an aircraft with a rifle).

3) Always stick with other people. Unless you're a sniper or infiltrator, try to never run around on your own for long. This is something that applied to the previous game a bit more (as its infantry combat was more basic than a regular FPS) but generally, 2 people beat 1 person, 3 people beat 2 people, etc. irrespective of player skill. Similarly, it takes an enormously skilled player to take out two people on their own. If you can get in a squad and work as a team, you'll kill dozens of lone wolves each life.

• Upvote 2