Dishonored - Definitive Edition - now 60fps on Xbox Series

The Sarge

You can choke one out without being noticed, the other 2 require a distraction and choke the closest then sleep shot the furthest.

This exactly what I did too. Annoyingly, there a few small optional sidequests later on that aren't just very hard to stealth, but outright impossible. If you do them, you have to do combat. If you want do a stealth run, then you simply have to avoid them. It's my biggest annoyance with the game so far, but other than that everything from the second mission onwards has been gobsmackingly brilliant.

I noticed one of the achievements:

Mostly Flesh and Steel

Finish the game without purchasing any supernatural powers or enhancements, besides Blink

That will be the one I go for on my very hard playthrough I think, in which I also stealthkill (doing nonlethal at the mo') every single fucker in the game :D It's going to be glorious :omg:

Whilst I prefer to play it stealthily, it's cool that the game lets you cut loose sometimes. One of the best things I've done so far is turning one of those electrical turrets against the enemy, then leading them to their death. Watching them get zapped into ashes is hilarious.

In that case I'll probably ditch the idea of a non-lethal playthrough on my first go. I'll still play stealthy but not feel too bad if I need to kill a few peeps. The killing powers look quite fun too.

Whilst I prefer to play it stealthily, it's cool that the game lets you cut loose sometimes. One of the best things I've done so far is turning one of those electrical turrets against the enemy, then leading them to their death. Watching them get zapped into ashes is hilarious.

This is what I did, so much fun to be had. Finished the game today, and now playing through the missions again to stealth the game with no killing.

This exactly what I did too. Annoyingly, there a few small optional sidequests later on that aren't just very hard to stealth, but outright impossible. If you do them, you have to do combat.

Could you give examples in a spoiler? I haven't come across any yet and must be close to the end; I just hit Dunwall Tower.

Could you give examples in a spoiler? I haven't come across any yet and must be close to the end; I just hit Dunwall Tower.

there's a sidequest in which you have to free some guy from jail and bypass some River Krusts in the mission with the huge bridge - if you follow the questline he'll turn around and attack you with two of his mates. Taking him down beforehand just fails the quest.

Another one is during the costumed party, you have to talk to some guy in a wolfmask outside in the garden. If you do, you'll have to duel him the old fashioned way. And I can confirm that stopping time and taking him down from behind fails this sidequest.

It's a shame but not such a big deal as I'll simply skip these particular optional sidequests during my 100% seriously sneaky stealth run.

there's a sidequest in which you have to free some guy from jail and bypass some River Krusts in the mission with the huge bridge - if you follow the questline he'll turn around and attack you with two of his mates. Taking him down beforehand just fails the quest.

Another one is during the costumed party, you have to talk to some guy in a wolfmask outside in the garden. If you do, you'll have to duel him the old fashioned way. And I can confirm that stopping time and taking him down from behind fails this sidequest.

It's a shame but not such a big deal as I'll simply skip these particular optional sidequests during my 100% seriously sneaky stealth run.

Ah, I never got the first one as I stuck to the rooftops for most of that level; based on a conversation I overheard I can guess who'd give it to you. As for the second, I just used a tranquilizer dart — no powers — which sufficed without tarnishing my policy of non-lethality. I suppose you could say the latter wasn't stealthy, but it didn't count against me statistically and you are incognito at the time.

Ah, I never got the first one as I stuck to the rooftops for most of that level; based on a conversation I overheard I can guess who'd give it to you. As for the second, I just used a tranquilizer dart — no powers — which sufficed without tarnishing my policy of non-lethality. I suppose you could say the latter wasn't stealthy, but it didn't count against me statistically and you are incognito at the time.

That is quite a good solution for the second one, but as you say - I was trying to figure out a way to be stealthy, rather than non-lethal. So far all the main mission can be ghosted though, and that's the most important thing.

What are the criteria for a ghost run - no alarms (obviously), no bodies discovered, no white or red fright marks appearing? Is silent killing allowed?

I've done the first mision & the earlier stuff for Granny without killing but fancy a bit of carnage with those traps and so on.

I've only done the first escape, but I'm sure I wasn't spotted - might have tranq'd the last guard - and didn't get ghost. Maybe a ghost run to be no evidence that you were there, so not even a stun takedown. But the achievement suggests that simply raising no alarms and killing no-one is sufficient, except for final targets.

Unless I alerted someone I wasn't aware of -

actually, no, the first time I tried, a couple of guards ran past me back to the cells, but I'd already been spotted. I accounted for all of them as silent takedowns in the last run I did.

Or maybe I let someone drown or dropped them too carelessly - if you dump someone in such a way that their head hits the wall they leave a nasty splash of blood. Maybe Arkane are modelling concussion...

Huh, and one time I actually mantled completely out of the level and fell into the gaming void. Talk about breaking immersion...

To get 'ghost' you can do non-lethal takedowns all day long no problem. Just be sure to really hide the bodies well, as the guards sometimes take routes you didn't expect and a discovered body, even if you are somewhere else at the time, means no ghost. Not sure about lethal takedowns. Shame that they don't mean actually ghosting a level, i.e. without doing any takedowns at all, avoiding everybody and everything and still finishing the level.

To get 'ghost' you can do non-lethal takedowns all day long no problem. Just be sure to really hide the bodies well, as the guards sometimes take routes you didn't expect and a discovered body, even if you are somewhere else at the time, means no ghost. Not sure about lethal takedowns. Shame that they don't mean actually ghosting a level, i.e. without doing any takedowns at all, avoiding everybody and everything and still finishing the level.

You also need to keep a lookout for rat swarms, I'd KO'd everyone in one of the buildings on the 2nd mission, only to go any release a swarm from a room (without really thinking) then seconds later caught them munching on one of the unconcious bodies as I beat a hasty retreat to the exit. :facepalm:

So I'm a bit lost on the bridge level, after where you raise the sluice gate. There's some rooms you can enter opposite, but there's nowhere to go from there.

So I took that as an opportunity to start a new kill-everyone playthrough, I'd been finding this one a bit easy (especially with the charm I found that made knock-outs as fast as stealth kills), and all those weapons and ammo I wasn't using, and upgrades and powers I didn't need to buy were burning a hole in my metaphorical pocket.

Just finished the first mission, 95 people killed. Combat run-throughs are basically easy mode, despite the increased difficulty I've still got maxed out elixirs and full ammo for everything. Also I'm not buying any powers other than the Blink they give you. Fun though.

You can choke one out without being noticed, the other 2 require a distraction and choke the closest then sleep shot the furthest.

I also managed it by

triggering Bend Time after choking the first then tranq'ing the other two while it was in effect; didn't seem to get alert indicators. I also timed it so the first guy was kneeling at the keyhole. I was lucky, in that I had spent some time exploring near the pub before the mission and picked up a rune, so when I picked up the rune near Granny's I had two and could purchase Bend Time. Granny's was the first building I went into.

I'd have to agree about melee combat in first person not working as well in third person. They've made a decent stab at it in this though. It's better than, say, Skyrim. I do like the moments where you lock swords, and the counter moves are good if you time them right. It does look cool a lot of the time.

I think the melee is pretty good. It feels much better than in the likes of Skyrim. Condemned is still the king of first person melee systems though.

Anyway I finished the first proper mission which was much longer than I expected. I enjoyed it a lot but I kinda hope that some of the later missions take place in areas where there's more civilians rather than tons of patrolling guards, though maybe that's my Hitman desires coming out. Given all the posters over the walls there's surely got to be a level in The Golden Cat.

About to start this as I wanted to finish the (brilliant) Mark of the Ninja and Walking Dead: Episode 4 first. I see there's tons of UI notifications and markers I can switch off. Which ones should I switch off to get the most out of this?

About to start this as I wanted to finish the (brilliant) Mark of the Ninja and Walking Dead: Episode 4 first. I see there's tons of UI notifications and markers I can switch off. Which ones should I switch off to get the most out of this?

At the very least the objective markers. It's not just a matter of my personal preference for exploration and letting the players think for themselves in general, having played quite a bit of Dishonored it's quite obvious to me that the game was designed without these objective markers in mind. You can find maps on signs in the gameworld which you can compare against the info you find in mission assignments and various notes. Every street is clearly marked with a street sign, talking to NPC's or listening in on their conversations gives you additional clues on where to go, and all this is on top of the visual clues in the environment naturally drawing your attention to places of interest. It seems like playing without objective markers is how the game was intended to be played originally, and that those markers were only added (and activated by default) when the testers, bless their young spotty faces, got their greasy Modern Warfare hands on the game and promptly got confused, as Arkane themselves have sort of said: "Dishonored quests signposted due to baffled playtesters"

Other than that I prefer the health and mana bars to be contextual, only appearing when needed, player stance off (you can tell by how you're holding your sword whether you're crouching or not), auto-aim off (not needed when stealthing), and some others which I can't remember off the top of my head.