Dishonored - Definitive Edition - now 60fps on Xbox Series

The Sarge

the melee combat is so shit in this, lol. first person melee just does not work, ever, in anything.

everything else is great though. i think i've nearly finished it now; my next mark is the Lord Regent.

I'd disagree and say it's pretty fucking great. Really enjoyed the scraps I've got into and the clashing of swords is awesome. Arkane also did it brilliantly in Dark Messiah Might and Magic, Condemned 1 and 2 do melee excellently as well and so does Riddick and Dead Island. Can't get enough of it tbh. I fucking love first person melee games.

Well bum, I didn't get the Ghost or Clean Hands Achievements despite meeting the criteria. Petty as it might seem that's really sapped my desire to jump straight into a more lethal playthrough.

The above annoyance aside it's a really great game. It's highly reminiscent of Thief, not just mechanically but in tone and fiction; it feels like a cohesive, fleshed out world that existed before you got there. I don't know how divergent the different endings are, but I'd certainly like to see more games in the same universe.

I'm not clicking that spoiler so I'm not sure how far you are. I am up to Dunwall tower which I think is the fifth or sixth mission, which I estimate has taken me around 13 or 14 hours.

I find it a difficult game to evaluate. Clearly, this is one of the best games I've played in the last few years. But because it is clearly from the Thief/System Shock 2/Deus Ex heritage, it's easy to judge it against those games and find it lacking. In terms of stealth, it is obviously inferior to Thief. It's not as suspenseful as Shock 2. And I think it's probably going to fall some way short of Deus Ex in terms of player choice and emergenct gameplay, too.

Deus Ex was a far more organic and varied experience. Many times in Dishonoured I have devised a plan and grinned to myself as it's played out, but I've rarely improvised on the fly and seen genius carnage ensue. The game is generous with resources, which means you don't need to be quite as inventive as you did in Deus Ex.

I also can't help but feel this flaw is maximised by the people going for a "stealth" or "ghost" playthrough. The best parts, for me, of Dishonoured (and these are the times it comes closest to Deus Ex) are when my carefully constructed plans unravel and the game systems are robust enough for me to deal with the fallout and negotiate another path forward. Reloading every time I was discovered or killed somebody would sap out so much enjoyment for me.

It's obviously better than Human Revolution. There are no boss fights, and the differing paths aren't clearly signposted: walk right for the action path, walk left for the hacking path, climb into the vent to sneak pass (and get extra XP).

I don't want to sound negative, at all. Again: this is clearly the best game I have played in a very long time. It's so far beyond everything else released this year (haven't played XCOM!) that it's difficult to comprehend. I'm very grateful that a game like this exists in 2012. It's just not nearly as good as the games that inspired it. Which is fine.

4 hours in and just finished the first mission. HOLY SHIT THIS IS AMAZING (turned off the objective markers obviously).

I did kill a few but only those that I felt were deserving of a death. For the most part though I think I did all of the side quests and even got the bestest outcome regarding a particular character (I did not poison him).

For some reason I'm not getting on with this at all and I'm not sure why. Apart from the awful texture work (on 360), it's doing all the things right that should mean I love it... but I don't, in fact I'm finding it something of a chore and struggling to muster up interest to continue and I can't even express why that is. I think I'm going to have to chalk this one up as one of those obviously good games that for some unknowable reason I just can't click with, Metroid Prime was another one. :(

It sat a bit weirdly with me until I finally got into a lengthy stealth mission. It suffers from throwing way too many skills and items at you at once without explaining why you wouldn't just shoot the bad dudes. The fiction and world-building is quite dense, it took a while to get into and get the 'bigger picture'.

Finished my first playthrough. Absolutely bloody brilliant and I can see it quite easily being my GOTY this year. I can't think of anything else that will come close this year for me unless the games before xmas really surprise me. Just bloody marvellous, can't say enough good things about it.

I'm never that good at doing full stealth playthroughs so I think my next one will be maximum carnage. In that playthrough I just used Blink, Bend Time and my Crossbox mostly. Time to really stir the pot :D

And done. The game is part Thief, part Assassin's Creed, and part Hitman. Sounds fantastic, right? But just when I was at the point where I thought 'I hope there are more missions like this' those missions stopped, and the game became a tedious, mostly-linear chore.

Replay value? No thanks. I know you can get different outcomes depending on the choices you make, but for me there are no memorable characters, and the world is just not interesting enough to pull me in for another playthrough.

It started really well, and then got even better, but its final 'act' for lack of a better term, was proper shite.

Pretty decent ending though.

I thought the third act was bloody excellent tbh. The level after

you have just been betrayed was excellent and I loved trying to outdo and outsmart those fuckers that love to blink around the place like you do. Some fun first person platforming as well, though I know a lot of people hate that (though the powers make it pretty easy too). Fighting Granny Rags was a laugh too and something different and wonderfully sinister

The other thing I love is how low key the whole game/world is. It's just all very sinister with no 'showy' performances, there's no truly outlandish villains or people. It's just a cool world, love it.

Just out of interest, is each 'mission' (as in when you get the stats through) self contained? As in, I can't go back to these areas again once I've sailed back to the pub? Because I completely forgot to

Give those sodding gangs some venom and kill 'em all for Granny Rags

I think I know what the answer's going to be, but at least that'll mean a replay or two...

Just out of interest, is each 'mission' (as in when you get the stats through) self contained? As in, I can't go back to these areas again once I've sailed back to the pub? Because I completely forgot to

Give those sodding gangs some venom and kill 'em all for Granny Rags

I think I know what the answer's going to be, but at least that'll mean a replay or two...

Each mission can be played again, and again, and be perfected to your hearts desire.

Oh man I just came up with the perfect (optional) solution to deal with that twins problem. The moment Slackjaw told me his plans I was grinning from ear to ear. Almost got a perfect playthrough that mission as well! :o

Sadly, I killed a guard and a civie... No idea how. Did 'ghost it' though.

Ok, so the party mission was a complete farce. Peaceful around the gate, insta-kill on sight in the grounds, peaceful inside, until I came back down from the second floor (no one saw me go up or down, no one saw me when up there and I'd been in and out of the trespassing closet without repercussions) when everyone went mental. I'd knocked out one of them who went to the loo, and so I decided to charge around the place (I have a whole bunch of speed buffs) looking for them and then hacking at them, then fled through the sewers. Several civies got killed by the guards while doing so (and some guards shot some guards) and I burnt through some health tonics. Didn't meet the duelling lord or hand off that letter. I blame bugs.

Sadly, I killed a guard and a civie... No idea how though. Did ghost it though.

Steam baths? Bit of a non-sequitur addition to the level, that.

And done. The game is part Thief, part Assassin's Creed, and part Hitman. Sounds fantastic, right? But just when I was at the point where I thought 'I hope there are more missions like this' those missions stopped, and the game became a tedious, mostly-linear chore.

Replay value? No thanks. I know you can get different outcomes depending on the choices you make, but for me there are no memorable characters, and the world is just not interesting enough to pull me in for another playthrough.

It started really well, and then got even better, but its final 'act' for lack of a better term, was proper shite.

I thought the third act was bloody excellent tbh. The level after

you have just been betrayed was excellent and I loved trying to outdo and outsmart those fuckers that love to blink around the place like you do. Some fun first person platforming as well, though I know a lot of people hate that (though the powers make it pretty easy too). Fighting Granny Rags was a laugh too and something different and wonderfully sinister

I'm playing that final bit right now and I agree with mr_woo that it's fan-fucking-tastic:

blinking about the place and outsmarting those fuckers who, unlike all the enemies so far in the game, are almost as powerful as you is all kinds of amaze. I'm almost at the end and I haven't been spotted once, but it's been damn close a couple of times and it's been tense as fuck playing through this level - great stuff :D

And as far as replayability goes, to each his own - the replay value for me is immense in Dishonored, probably the most since EDF2017 and Hitman: Blood Money for me. Brilliant, simply brilliant game right here. Imo of course. God, I love this game so much :D

I finished it earlier, with the "I killed lots of people" ending. It was pretty good - very much a game that needed you to just go with its logic which was frequently a bit wonky. There are some great missions, but I'd agree that the last third-or-so after the Event really dragged although the final mission was pretty good. I liked the look of it, some of the painted textures were just lovely and worked really well - I think they could have taken that a bit further, really, but I liked it.

It could have been game of the year, easily, but I think it just doesn't work quite well enough. The controls are clumsy when you're switching between powers so often, the stealth veered between being a pleasure and a massive chore...I'd recommend it as a game, but I wouldn't have given it the scores it's been getting.

Silliness (very-near-ending spoilers):

My highlight was playing the audio tape to get the Lord Regent arrested, watching the guards take him out towards the prison through the wall of light I'd re-wired and seeing the guards and the Lord turning into ash in front of my eyes.

Also, Martin started telling me I wouldn't have the satisfaction of killing him myself, so I don't really know where he went with that logic as I slashed his throat open that instant.

Yeah but she's in a room where the only entrance to it requires that key. Once inside you can also find a key though. :/

She has it on her and her room is open when she's in it.

I prefer the health and mana bars to be contextual, only appearing when needed.

I had them on contextual as well, but have turned them back on now, as it tells you what power is currently equipped. Mainly because I had a scary moment where I was on a roof top, thinking I had "Dark Vision" equipped. Nope, it was "Blink"!! Next thing you know, I'm rushing to the ground into a hornet's nest of guards. I swear to God, my heart skipped a beat. But incredibly, they all seemed to be looking anywhere but my position. I managed to quickly throttle a guard and hop over a wall with his body, before anyone turned round and saw me!

So the health and mana is back on now! :lol:

I finished this yesterday.

It's a bloody great game but on the whole the story was a bit of a disappointment. They don't really do anything interesting with the best/most interesting characters and it's a real shame.

I think The Outsider is supposed to be enigmatic but he just ends up being dull.

Yeah, every time the Outsider appears I know it's time to go get something to drink because you can be sure he'll go on for ages with yet another boring monologue delivered in the most monotonous way possible. Sadly, my OCD prevents me from skipping that shit. I'd say the world itself is great in Dishonored, the story is merely functional.

I'm having more and more fun with this the more I let my hair down and just play it. It's very tempting to reload and reload again when you don't get something exactly right, but unless I'm experimenting I just let it play out now. So be it stealth, armed combat, sword fighting, whatever. I won't deliberately get into a scrap but I've found the game gives you more than enough tools to deal with any given situation. It's really very solid and satisfying. I'm loving reversing the polarity on the walls of light and then letting guards chase me.

I'm starting to read the notes and books more too. It would be great to see Dunwall before the plague took hold. In that respect it is very much like Rapture in Bioshock.

The alternative steam punk feel reminds me a bit of His Dark Materials - the roof tops in Oxford etc.