Dishonored - Definitive Edition - now 60fps on Xbox Series

The Sarge

I think the problem is that almost every game with steath mechanics makes use of shadows these days and has done since the days of Splinter Cell. To not have it in seems a bit of a retrograde step.

Its like playing an FPS without an aim function; we are so used to having that ability that to not have its feels completely alien.

well the biggest stealth game on the market, Assassin's Creed, doesn't use it either and apart from Splinter Cell what else is there? Deus Ex probably.

Are the people complaining this is too easy playing it on normal? Perhaps whack the difficulty up a bit, or impose other challenges on yourself i.e. not using any upgrades bar blink.

Setting myself challenges such as ghosting areas, or just messing about with weapons etc. is what makes it so enjoyable.

In many ways it is old fashioned, but it's polished and so damn enjoyable it seems pointless to complain about what the game isn't, and instead enjoy it for what it is.

Case in point; I got into Sokolov's house (no spoilers) and I was rubbing my hands with glee at the possibilities I could see where there for me. It's one big bowl of stealthy sneaky fun.

I don't get what's so hard to understand about the fact that a lot of people prefer to take a stealthy route through games even if the combat isn't particularly hard. It's more satisfying, you get to experience more of the level design and see more areas than you might otherwise, and you generally get to complete objectives in more interesting and unusual ways (you can do the second mission without even ever being in the same room as the 2 targets. You don't even have to engage with them). That's your incentive to play stealthy right there. Arguing everything back to gameplay challenge is so reductionist.

I don't get what's so hard to understand about the fact that a lot of people prefer to take a stealthy route through games even if the combat isn't particularly hard.

People are talking about it for second playthroughs and how it doesn't really fulfill it's promise of choices and multiple ways, because there's a cool stealthy playthrough and a rather broken killy one. It's worth noting everyone talking about how challenging it is in here is doing a stealth playthrough, which is their first, so obviously they're not encountering it yet.

I compared it to Deus Ex 3 and the realisation on successive playthroughs that there wasn't that much freedom in character creation and that you'd end up with largely the same character anyway, just using different guns.

I think I'm just going to improvise for the rest of the first run and not try to be totally stealthy or non-lethal - the quiet but lethal tools look fun to use, body disposal is easier than hiding unconscious ones, and the rats are classic. Running and gunning holds little appeal since you can do that anywhere.

I do fancy achieving the "hoist with their own petard" solutions for all the key targets though.

Has anyone managed a Blink into Drop Assassination yet?

Related to this I have found a rather cheap but full proof way to deal with any close combat situation. You only need the double jump for it to work. Basically when surrounded by enemies simply jump up and as you come down simply do the takedown assassination when prompted. Works every time! :D

Amusing reading some of the "broken" complaints on the previous couple of pages. I think that word gets tossed around far too readily sometimes. There is nothing "broken" about Dishonored. Any videogame which has a big focus on stealth has slightly different rules from one game to the next. They usually take the first level to get used to them. Same thing with Dishonored. So far everything has remained utterly consistent with the game's rules. It isn't the game's fault if I get found out by a guard. It's mine.

OK. But the controls are just not accurate enough to allow that sort of finesse IMHO.

You're presumably not playing on PC - where zap, possess, strangle, blink is an easy set of actions to perform (though you go to the wheel between each one if you can't be bothered with hot keys).

Gamers naturally play for efficiency, if it's a shooter then you want the most powerful gun, if it's an MMO you want the correct build, if it's an RTS you want the correct army queue. Games are systems, and system mastery is what happens over the 8-10 hours they go on for - improving the skills of the player at playing within the games systems. Noble sentiment is nice, but in reality people will play with what's most effective, even if it is less fun to do so. I've seen plenty of blogs on the topic from boardgame or CCG designers that say this is a trap that design can fall into. The best way to make people play for fun, or for creative solutions, is to make everything equally feasible, even if you wish the design to be assymetric (like it is in DE:HR).

This is the most depressing thing I've read in this thread. Why not go back to playing Call Of Duty?

You're presumably not playing on PC - where zap, possess, strangle, blink is an easy set of actions to perform (though you go to the wheel between each one if you can't be bothered with hot keys).

I'm playing on PC with a 360 controller and find the controls to be extremely accurate, allowing for a high degree of finesse. It's not the controls, it's the player. FWIW.

It definitely sounds like there are a lack of options for stealthy/non lethal playthroughs.

Quite the contrary, there are a TON of options to stealth about, but going combat is just straightforward, uhm, going forward combatting enemies. Are you sure you understood the WTF right? Either you didn't or he hasn't really played the game. There are so many options, we have people in this very thread complaining about having too many options!

Quite the contrary, there are a TON of options to stealth about, but going combat is just straightforward, uhm, going forward combatting enemies. Are you sure you understood the WTF right? Either you didn't or he hasn't really played the game. There are so many options, we have people in this very thread complaining about having too many options!

Sorry, I'm really focusing on the non-lethal aspect here. I definitely understood it, and the same observations have been made several times in this thread.

For non-lethal takedowns you have the choke-out and the sleep-bolts. That's it. It has been criticized a number of times.

Sorry, I'm really focusing on the non-lethal aspect here. I definitely understood it, and the same observations have been made several times in this thread.

For non-lethal takedowns you have the choke-out and the sleep-bolts. That's it. It has been criticized a number of times.

Plus the option of not taking down people at all. The final targets have set-pieces as well as choking/cross-bow.

I do think people are right that the developers expect most people to go for a stealthy/lethal approach though.

Ah yes. Stealth doesn't necessarily mean non-lethal. And yeah, there's always a method to take down the targets in a non-lethal manner but it requires a lot of exploration and you'll have tons of different routes and tactics to choose from along the way. As for regular enemy NPC's, you have every option that you need, surely? Sleeping darts are a nice extra but you hardly ever need to use those (well, I didn't) and to reach those NPC's and taking them out and hiding their unconscious bodies requires quick thinking and sound tactics. And there are always lots of different tactics and approaches to choose from. So I don't really understand the criticism... you could add, I dunno, a handkerchief doused in chloroform as an additional weapon to take down enemies, but how would that be different from simply choking them? The variety comes from all the options, routes and tactics available to you to either get close to an enemy NPC to take him out, taking into account where his buddies or the security systems are, or avoiding them altogether. It plays out differently each time, and experimenting with different approaches is fun. I can criticize Dishonored on a lot of things, but this definitely ain't one of them.

Why do you need hundreds of non lethal options?

(The whole set of upgrades are irrelevant, but agility/blink/possession/sight/stop time give you a wide range of playing options. You don't need to take every guard out.)

Non lethal is for fannies.

Man the fuck up and kill some shit.

No one complains about the lack of non lethal options in other games.

I love this game for its action. I took out about 10 guards in under a minute earlier, felt like a total blinking ninja badass :D

It's probably the weirdest criticism I've heard of any game ever, the more I think about it. "yes, it's nice that you can jump on the heads of enemies in Super Mario Bros, but there's a distinct lack of options for doing so" God knows what the WTF video is on about, I really should go check it out sometime.

i was playing this high earlier and just after i killed my mark there was a celebration in a pub and because i'm so absorbed by this world and believe in it so strongly i noticed more than i ever have before that the characters' faces were sullen and cold when we were meant to be having a laugh and it made for a really sinister, creepy experience.

brilliant. i love this - it's much closer to Manhunt than any of the other games i've seen it compared to, which is the highest praise possible for a stealth game.

Why do you need hundreds of non lethal options?

Hundreds? Who said anything about hundreds? Why do you instinctively reach for a massive exaggeration in a bid to make my position look absurd?

People have only been asking for a few more non-lethal options.

And i'm nothing it as what seems to be one of the few areas the game may have underachieved in.

Not sure what other non-lethal things you'd want really. I'm not so up on the stealth genre at all - infact this has been the only one in which I've become completely absorbed in and I think it's because actually there are loads of areas where I actively don't want to do a non-lethal kill (quite honestly, those bastard overseers deserve everything coming to them - although I try to avoid killing the doggies...), which the guards I attempt to save where possible as I'm fairly sure they're mostly just dumb!

Hell, I'm still buggering around on the first proper mission - the levels are bloody massive! So many things to discover - and most definitely miss out on if you run through it once!

Love it to bits.