Dishonored - Definitive Edition - now 60fps on Xbox Series

The Sarge

To be fair, possession is literally only for murdering people in funny ways ;)

I'm really looking forward to my second playthrough. First time has been non-lethal* thus far, but there are things I really want to try. Like seeing how the guards react to assassination by stopping time, walking the target into a deactivated gate, activating the gate, then unpausing. Also seeing what happens if

you have the duellist kill his own guard(s). Though considering that they react as if he's dead when merely asleep, I fear that the game may just entirely ignore the scenario

*aside from the fourth level, where I assassinated my target because the non-lethal solution was waaaaay too creepy

I used possession to open locked doors and to possess dogs, separate them from their owner, and dispose of them separately. If they're together when one gets taken out it alerts the other. I've rarely used it for rats so far, they seem to get killed by guards while I'm trying to plan a route for how I would use them.

A word of warning to anyone thinking of buying this game.

It is a very very difficult game to play unless you are an expert at stealth games. It is also incredibly frustrating at how difficult it is to navigate your surroundings.

Err what? :huh:

I think the limited selection of non-lethal options is purely a design choice. The non-lethal options are effective against a single target (choke, sleeping dart), whilst the lethal options are effective against one (sword, crossbow, pistol) or against many (grenade, spring razor, rat swarm). By limiting the options for non-lethal and not having equivalents of group lethal options, e.g. a sleeping gas grenade or trap, the designers are making non-lethal a deliberate, precise might be a better word, action within the game. There's no shortcutting, no seeing two guards talking and lobbing gas grenade, it encourages (if not forces) you to play within the stealth system (observe, plan, act).

It is a very very difficult game to play unless you are an expert at stealth games. It is also incredibly frustrating at how difficult it is to navigate your surroundings.

I'm useless at stealth games, and I had no such problems, managed to finish almost every level with the ghost tick. Sorry to hear you didn't get along with it though.

I think the limited selection of non-lethal options is purely a design choice. The non-lethal options are effective against a single target (choke, sleeping dart), whilst the lethal options are effective against one (sword, crossbow, pistol) or against many (grenade, spring razor, rat swarm). By limiting the options for non-lethal and not having equivalents of group lethal options, e.g. a sleeping gas grenade or trap, the designers are making non-lethal a deliberate, precise might be a better word, action within the game. There's no shortcutting, no seeing two guards talking and lobbing gas grenade, it encourages (if not forces) you to play within the stealth system (observe, plan, act).

But what some people are asking for doesn't necessarily negate that. I mean non-lethal traps would still require you to play within the stealth system as you put it. Observing patrol routes. Planning optimum placement, and maybe if they see the traps ahead of time it raises their alert levels, meaning there's an additional layer to it as you try to catch them unaware.

Incredibly frustrating? Really? I've found it a joy to zip about the place, blinking over rooftops, haven't found it frustrating at all. I don't think anyone's going to find it difficult either, they give you so many powers and so much help I can't see how anyone would possibly find it challenging if they don't care about killing people. What specifically did you find challenging?

For a non-lethal run I am not sure I am going to waste time choking

You can get a bone charm that dramatically reduces choking time. For disposing of bodies, blinking to a roof or ledge seems the best thing to do if there's no bins. Just make sure they don't fall! Minor fall + unconscious guard = dead guard :(

It's like any first person game, except you can teleport around and climb up stuff. :huh:

I'm (still on level 1) having a bit of trouble making it do exactly what I want it to. But I haven't played any form of FPS in ages so I'm assuming that's why, well out of practice. Like, the first guard, I went to choke him and messed it up and then he got mad and then before I knew it I'd cut his head completely off and everyone went mental at me. I spacked about and they were soon all dead or unconscious, then I (playing with indicator thingies off) wandered about lost a bit really, met a locked door and couldn't see where to get the key from - it said a guard but they all appeared to be keyless. So I put the head in a barrel thing except it floated on top. Then I went to bed.

Don't worry, I realise I'm just being an old person at it!

I'm not going to neg you, but that does seem a very odd problem to have. A few bits seem accessible that aren't, but even if you aren't "an expert at stealth games" you can just walk around shooting/stabbing people in the face with reasonably few problems, on medium at least.

I'm (still on level 1) having a bit of trouble making it do exactly what I want it to. But I haven't played any form of FPS in ages so I'm assuming that's why, well out of practice. Like, the first guard, I went to choke him and messed it up and then he got mad and then before I knew it I'd cut his head completely off and everyone went mental at me. I spacked about and they were soon all dead or unconscious, then I (playing with indicator thingies off) wandered about lost a bit really, met a locked door and couldn't see where to get the key from - it said a guard but they all appeared to be keyless. So I put the head in a barrel thing except it floated on top. Then I went to bed.

Don't worry, I realise I'm just being an old person at it!

Nah, so many times I went to press the 'chokehold' button, only to miss and adopt the guard position with a clank. Too easy to do when you're both on the move.

Whenever anyone says opinions can't be wrong I'm going to remember this post.

I am absolutely shite at stealth games and have had no problems at all.

Yeah, I think its just me, but I have completed most of the Splinter Cell games, all the Hitman games, all the MGS games.

There is also an awful lot to love about this game. Its just a shame that, for me at least, the controls are not great and the stealth and combat are frustratingly difficult. I am on the final mission now, so the good is obviously outweighing the bad, but I had to go and hit my punch bag for 5 minutes earlier I was so wound up at the game.

Doesn't the choke icon thing come up when you're close enough to do it? The only reason I missed with mine that time is that my fingers were disobedient, I'm well out of practice with WASD so I ended up slipping off the ctrl key at the critical moment.

Oh good, I thought Sandman was doing one of those 'troll' things.

It can't be only for stealth experts because I can play it well, and I'm a cack handed idiot when it comes to stealth.

Maybe I am too good at stealth games and have to unlearn what I have learned. Maybe this game is such a radical departure from what has gone before for the stealth genre?

Maybe I am too good at stealth games and have to unlearn what I have learned. Maybe this game is such a radical departure from what has gone before for the stealth genre?

Just to make sure: you do realise that hiding in the shadows doesn't work? You have to be behind something to remain unseen, it's all about breaking line of sight and using the lean function to look out from behind cover. They won't see you if you use lean, so if you want to stealth you're leaning all the time. If not, you're doing something wrong.

As someone who laps up stealth games, it's not a radical departure. It really isn't. It doesn't use shadows, but it's not a game breaker. You have cover, be it crates or walls or anything else that can be hidden behind. You can find areas beneath the street or navigate the rooftops to avoid or check out guard patrols.

Basically, "shadows" in stealth games block line of sight. That's more or less what "cover" does in this. It's not hugely different when you look at that way.

EDIT: I didn't read Gerbik's post before making mine. He says more or less the same thing.

I just completed the 1st level (escape from prison/sewers bit) and didn't touch anyone, no alarms were raised, I never so much as saw anything look my way and yet didn't get Ghost at the end. Has anyone else had this? My only guess is I was spotted as I jumped off the bridge after the explosion. The 1st time I attempted it I hid in the bins but by the time I got out and away guards were waiting for me. The next time I was hiding in the crate next to it and as soon as it went off I moved out and off the bridge and I heard no alarm being raised. If this was it I've no idea how you're meant to do it.

Aaaand finished.

A fantastic ending to one of the most frustrating games I have ever played. Equal parts brilliant and rubbish.

With that great ending I'm gonna go for 8/10.

Great voice cast, great plot, fucking great art design (amongst the best this gen), some great set pieces. Some great missions but also some terrible ones (I hated the damn bridge mission for example).

It has been a pretty good year for new IP (Sleeping Dogs, Spec Ops etc) and this is the very definition of a flawed masterpiece. I still contend that it controls quite poorly on a pad. And, yes stealth in shadows doesnt work, but then why make so much of it dark.

I never used the lean thing once. And I finished with 4 unused runes :facepalm:

I never used the lean thing once.

Well that explains it. That is an essential part of the stealth mechanic in Dishonored, without it you'll get spotted all the time. No wonder you were getting frustrated. It's like you completed Forza by only steering left and never right, because fuck that steering right shit I completed the game and never used it once :lol:

Mystery solved!

Speaking of stealth, Mark of the Ninja just appeared on Steam. I bought it a second time because it's the best stealth game since Chaos Theory and probably even better than that. If anyone wants moar great stealth alongside Dishonored., I can't recommend it enough. As great as Dishonored is, purely as a stealth game Mark of the Ninja shits all over Dishonored to be brutally honest. Mark of the Ninja is just that good! Also, it's even more accessible for those who don't usually like stealth at all than Dishonored, while featuring way 'purer' stealth at the same time - go figure. A staggering achievement, and most importantly, it's tremendously fun to play.

Doing the third mission I've been a little bit narked at how there's ledges and areas that should blatantly be accessible to me with my double jump + upgraded blink, but aren't. I thought and hoped the game was above invisible walls and barriers like that. It's fairly minor but in a game about freedom it rubs the wrong way a bit.

I've enjoyed the first and third missions but I preferred the second so far. The second seemed to offer more genuine choice and freedom where the first and third are more funneled and linear. I'm enjoying the game a lot but it's not quite living up to my, admittedly high, expectations. I think Deus Ex:HR did some similar stuff a bit better actually.