Resident Evil 6

So they've developed a Resi game, a GoW-beater, and a competitor for Encharted. And they're selling them as one game.

Current Capcom couldn't beat an egg, let alone any of those games, nevermind in one jack of all trades package. Mind you on current form I suppose we should at least be thankful they didn't outsource it to Zynga or something.

Christ I fucking hate the Uncharted aping. Fuck Uncharted for what it's done to the industry. It might have some nice gameplay and story stuff, but those aren't the bits other developers nick, instead we end up with barely interactive "blockbuster experiences" instead of gameplay. Now we're going to end up with that with Capcom plot and acting on top. Brilliant.

Well, you could say that Resi 4 was the first game to throw set-piece after set-piece at the player long before Uncharted existed. Naughty Dog went for more open-ended combat, a bit like Resi 4's village section expanded over an entire game, and better writing, but cheesy dialogue has always been a staple of the Resi series. Of course you hope Resi 6 looks at the good stuff of UC and preferably not the stuff that is arguably the least succesful, the traversal and platforming. Still, you can't blame Naughty Dog for what other developers steal or don't steal.

Ironically, from what I've seen, The Last of Us looks more like a survival horror game than this. Then again, Resi 4 was more of an action horror game and a rather brilliant one, so that isn't saying everything.

I think Capcom's biggest problem is that its most talented people moved elsewhere and that they are a mere shadow of their former self. But hey, they still have guys from DMC 3 and Zak and Wiki onboard, so it might work out in the end. They have been beaten at their own game by Visceral though and it will be interesting to see if they can retake the crown.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/captivate-2012-resident-evil/728957

An interview with the producer (Kobayashi who still toils at Capcom, but he obviously isn't that influential as he's produced loads of their stuff and the results have been very un-even) and the new director of the project (Eiichiro Sasaki, who's previous series credit being the online game, Outbreak, he also last did Zak & Wiki for the Wii).

The credits reveal that the lead gameplay designer is still the same bloke behind RE5.

Ah Resident Evil is fucked, it's being made for the ADHD generation... I don't think we'll ever feel helpless, isolated or scared like we did in the early Resident Evils. It'll be *hoard of easily dispatched zombies*-*cutscene*-*character switch*-*cameo*-*rail shooting*-*plot twist*...

You don't want to play as an action hero in a horror game. It should be like Alien - not Aliens.

The last two RE games have been more about action than survival horror (apart from the Lost in Nightmares DLC) and people are still bitching about it? Get over it man. I'm not saying that you can't have your opinion, but endless carping on about a lack of horror in RE games is getting seriously old now.

Whilst I'd rather they split the games into their component parts, there is a faint possibility that RE6 will be both good and varied.

Honestly, the lack of horror in a horror game is something that needs to be carped on about, if enough people do it; it might change. And it's a bigger problem then just RE or Horror but lot's of genre's are slowly merging into action/adventure games and the fans need to speak up (like with Kickstarter) and that's the only way publishers will listen.

I pay no attention to that anymore. If Resident Evil doesn't follow bang on the 'ZOMBIES HAVE ME TRAPPED, IN A DARK PLACE' thing, then you will get crying about it. I like the action, and this has the horror and action and it still has people crying.

There damned if the do and damned if they don't.

You guy's are too easily pleased. Perhaps it's not a genre you care that much about but to me it's one of those things that nothing else can replicate, a feel of dread and loneliness that almost makes you want to not play but there's just enough mystery and intrigue to keep you going. I can't remember the last time a film scared me, they all have the same stories, timing, scares and that's the way the genre will go for games and you're happy with it? I'm not. I want my Shining, Alien, The Thing... But it's too late, the genre is practically dead and it's all because people made do.

There's *loads* of decent action games out there, Resident Evil doesn't need to be one of them.

The last two RE games have been more about action than survival horror (apart from the Lost in Nightmares DLC) and people are still bitching about it? Get over it man. I'm not saying that you can't have your opinion, but endless carping on about a lack of horror in RE games is getting seriously old now.

It's because there's fuck all survival horror games and a trillion action shooters. People who like action can play samey titles #1-20, whereas survival horror people are pretty slim with options - it's basically budget Silent Hill left at this point.

I'm sure people will be in to list titles that came out six years ago in franchises that no longer get made to "prove" that it's still going strong, though. That happens a lot.

Whilst I admit the animals were a bit silly - I respectfully disagree. Nemesis* was a terrifying villain and when I first played through it I gave up attacking it because I thought it was impossible to defeat. It made you feel hopeless and you knew practically nothing about it. It was Frankenstein's monster, really - but better.

*Edit: Just realised you were on about Tyrant.

I can't remember the last time a film scared me, they all have the same stories, timing, scares

Try watching Kill List. Its not horror in the Shining / Thing sense, but fuck me I felt.. strange after watching it.

I'm sure people will be in to list titles that came out six years ago in franchises that no longer get made to "prove" that it's still going strong, though. That happens a lot.

Yeah good post mate.