Resident Evil 6

Is sherry still wearing that inexplicable sailor outfit in this game

Also, why are they actually bothering to include her, given that resi 2 was released in 1998, which is 14 whole years ago, and anyone who was old enough to play the first one and remember it is by now far too old to be spending their time playing children's videogames

What system are people playing the demo on? Not having Gold any more, I've only played the PS3 version. I've just been speaking to a mate at work who has played the 360 version and he was asking about why the heads fall off the zombies every time they die. This doesn't happen on the PS3 version. I then asked him if he was getting the body deformation as well, like shooting a zombie in the guts will blow them out and you can reduce their midriff down to the spinal column. He said there was none of this on the 360 version.

Is this a big difference between the two demos or something? I'll admit, I was a bit bemused when people were saying the enemies didn't react to being shot, when I can see bits flying off them and heads exploding when I've been playing it.

Also, why are they actually bothering to include her, given that resi 2 was released in 1998, which is 14 whole years ago, and anyone who was old enough to play the first one and remember it is by now far too old to be spending their time playing children's videogames

:unsure:

Did I take some massive short cut and miss a whole chunk of the Leon demo? People on here keep talking about how good it is or interesting or new or something, but all I remember is running through some dodgy funfair type of place (I think ?) shooting a few generic zombies in a way that seems exactly the same as it did in Re4 and 5, and then a "Locked door - backtrack a bit and find the key" puzzle (totally standard Resi fare) then a shit QTE in a car.

Ah, ok. Why are people saying there are no hit reactions then when you can blow huge chunks out of the zombies?

The complaint doesn't stem from the visuals so much as the mechanics. The zombies in particular don't react in the same fashion as RE4 and 5's enemies, but across the board the reactions are far less pronounced.

That said, the differences make sense. The combat of the last two games has centred around planting your feet and keeping enemies back, whereas in RE6 obviously you can move whilst aiming and there are numerous ways of evading enemies. As such it's no wonder so many people are left underwhelmed by the demo's combat, as not unreasonably they're trying to play the game in a similar fashion to the previous games when ideally you should be approaching it more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_LU0D_egfQ

Is sherry still wearing that inexplicable sailor outfit in this game

I love the irony of your account name and this post, Final Fight was 1989 :eyebrows:

It does seem a bit much that so many people are dismissing this on the strength of the demo. However I think it is completely fair to say that the demo, itself, is pretty shit (although I haven't played to the end of Chris's segment- got bored with the giant monster fight and switched it off) or any of the "Jake" or whatever his name is, bit.

Sometimes reading these threads it reminds me why I dont like reading these threads.

I just play the games and ignore the noise.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

It does seem a bit much that so many people are dismissing this on the strength of the demo. However I think it is completely fair to say that the demo, itself, is pretty shit (although I haven't played to the end of Chris's segment- got bored with the giant monster fight and switched it off) or any of the "Jake" or whatever his name is, bit.

Yeah, see a demo is a demonstration and is supposed to be indicative of the full experience. If we 'gave a chance' to all games on the basis of nothing, life would be very expensive.

If the basic combat isn't satisfying then it doesn't matter what they dress it up with in the full game. It's still going to be saddled with lightweight gunplay, a terrible UI, and a sub-par cover system, at the very least. If this demo was for a new IP with absolutely no Resident Evil branding, no-one would be giving it the time of day. It's amazing the concessions and justifications people extend to a product when it has a particular name on it. It's true that some demos have undersold a game in the past, usually by virtue of them picking a poor section of the game to show off, but I think it's usually pretty easy to tell which have solid underlying mechanics and which don't.

If the basic combat isn't satisfying then it doesn't matter what they dress it up with in the full game.

From what I've read you upgrade the combat as you go along. It's crap at the beginning and then you access more skills and improve performance. If that's true then the demo doesn't represent the optimised combat. Maybe new for Resi but hardly a new concept.

If the basic combat isn't satisfying then it doesn't matter what they dress it up with in the full game. It's still going to be saddled with lightweight gunplay, a terrible UI, and a sub-par cover system, at the very least. If this demo was for a new IP with absolutely no Resident Evil branding, no-one would be giving it the time of day. It's amazing the concessions and justifications people extend to a product when it has a particular name on it. It's true that some demos have undersold a game in the past, usually by virtue of them picking a poor section of the game to show off, but I think it's usually pretty easy to tell which have solid underlying mechanics and which don't.

On the flip side of that, if this was a new IP with absolutely no Resident Evil branding I think people would be a lot more willing to give the controls a chance and adjust to how it's actually played, rather than immediately decrying it as the worst thing of all time based of the heritage of its predecessor. A predecessor that had a pretty controversial control scheme itself when it first came out, I hasten to add.

You know, if Resi 4 actually had a demo back in the day I wonder how many people would have been put off there and then by its initially baffling control scheme.

For clarification, I don't think this has a chance in hell of being anywhere near as good as Resi 4, but the vitriol in here is bordering on hysterical.

On the flip side of that, if this was a new IP with absolutely no Resident Evil branding I think people would be a lot more willing to give the controls a chance and adjust to how it's actually played, rather than immediately decrying it as the worst thing of all time based of the heritage of its predecessor. A predecessor that had a pretty controversial control scheme itself when it first came out, I hasten to add.

If it didn't have the resident evil name attached to it, it would be languishing on page eight somewhere.

As I said before, Dead Space's demo was awful. The Dragon's Dogma one was very poor too.