Resident Evil 6

Don't be too worried. An EDGE 6 man! The greatest score a game can receive. That means this game is as bad as Darksiders, Condemned, Saints Row The Third, Syndicate, Binary Domain, GRAW2, Odin Sphere, Borderlands, Yakuza 3, Mad World, Metro 2033, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, EDF 2017, The Walking Dead and Sleeping Dogs.

Oh and of course Resident Evil Revelations, which was a great modern Resident Evil game.

Fuck, reading that list I cannot wait until tomorrow. Looking at some of the positive posts in this thread, they seem to mirror the love that games like Sleepy Dogs, Walking Dead and Binary Domain have been getting in the respective threads. If you feel down about this purchase just check out those threads and see how down everyone is on a six out of ten game.

Only one more sleep till mediocrity.

I love some Edge 6/7 games. However, the majority of those great Edge 6/7 games have usually been favorably reviewed elsewhere.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/resident-evil-6 69

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/saints-row-the-third 84

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/sleeping-dogs 80

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/darksiders 83

And it goes on. Just saying before you slap it with the old Edge sixy seal of approval that you might want to be aware of the difference.

I've got this on my rental list anyway, so should it come through, I'll give it a go. The scores in general have put me off a purchase after disliking the demo as well.

Glad some guys are enjoying it though.

Been playing Mercenaries on split screen for the past 2 hours, fucking ace fun!! Can set up some awesome melee combos if one player works at stunning enemies with head shots an the other melees them.

Does anyone know what score you have to reach to unlock each subsequent level in Mercs? The best effort me and my roommate could manage was 150,000 points on the first level, which unlocked Helena, but nothing else. Had to resort to playing on the DLC levels because we were too shit to unlock the standard ones!!

They should make Mercenaries vs. an Olympic sport. I swear if Capcom would just stop attaching campaigns and just release all the Mercenaries stuff, these games would score way better. Seems to work for fps's, but weirdly no Resi reviews seem to even mention it. Game is shit, multiplayer is great, seems par for the course for many fps reviews.

They should make Mercenaries vs. an Olympic sport. I swear if Capcom would just stop attaching campaigns and just release all the Mercenaries stuff, these games would score way better. Seems to work for fps's, but weirdly no Resi reviews seem to even mention it. Game is shit, multiplayer is great, seems par for the course for many fps reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/resident-evil-the-mercenaries-3d

I will be very interested to hear how people get on after chapter 3 of Leons campaign, with the story, locations, and general coherence.

Sorry to be negative and that but the edge review is actually spot on with it's closing comments.

My copy is in the trading thread.

Holy shit, that was fast. That bad, huh?

With all respect Dave White's pretty much the most enthusiastic about everything person here and he thinks it's crap. I'm out.

Is anyone surprised that this is a bit poo after the shitfest that was 5?

5 was fine, by any other name it would be "wow, just as good as Resi 4!!!!!"

I think the piece on giant bomb where the guy just can't be arsed to play and calls it boring is the crux of the problem and exactly how I felt.

This with some absolutely grating game breakers, being downed, revived and then killed as soon as the animation starts for you to get up is one, completely uninspired puzzles, and pointless repetition is another. It just trundles along and grates you with every fuck up, and you have seen and done it all before and so much better, this is actually tedius.

It feels like classic resident evil at 1st and then goes into a poor mans gears, cod, tomb raider and then fuck knows what. Some scenes are painful, and on the 6th outing nobody knows what the fuck this virus or game is doing, its just lost it's way in a cocaine screening back pat meltdown.

I hit a boss and decided I wasn't wasting any more time on it, mowing the lawn was more inspiring, turned it off and that was that.

Then you're mental!

I was so disappointed as I watched Leon's campaign quickly turn from great RE4/RE2 mash up to a long slog full of shitty bosses and QTEs. Its like they gave up on the escalating zombie apocalypse half way through. I'm really surprised anyone could get through the last two chapters and still think it was great. Pretty much when you dive into that water the game takes a tumble and never recovers from it.

Dave, it sounds like we're quite in sync here. We wrote those posts at the same time! Except I'm typing on a phone so it takes bloody forever. I didn't ever feel the need to stop playing it, but rather I suddenly realised the game I had been enjoying had vanished a while ago and I was playing something far worse instead. If they'd just kept up the pacing and locale of chapter 2 it would have been great, but instead they drag you through the catacombs bit which saps your enjoyment pretty heavily, and then from there they change locale and forego the simple zombie shooting gameplay you were enjoying for a load of bad bosses.

Spainkiller mental, not dave.

Yeah. Its like the five chapters were designed by different teams who didn't get to see what everyone else was up to. The core gameplay is really good I think, but you don't get to do much of it after a while because it stops being that game and begins forcing you to do bad cinematic sequences instead. The bit in the church is great - dynamic, chaotic, unpredictable, fun. The whole chapter 2 cribs from l4d and comes up with a special infected as interesting as any of Valves.

I don't think its nearly as bad as some of the hate makes out though, and some people will really dig it.

Obviously only going off the demo, but just as a rule now, i dont play things that arent fun. Like i mean balls out stupid mad daft fun. Ive zero time for overblown epic wanky campaigns, pretentiousness, QTEs, bloated 40 hour games. Not suprised the best bit is mercs, but not 40 quids worth.

Spainkiller mental, not dave.

Yeah. Its like the five chapters were designed by different teams who didn't get to see what everyone else was up to. The core gameplay is really good I think, but you don't get to do much of it after a while because it stops being that game and begins forcing you to do bad cinematic sequences instead. The bit in the church is great - dynamic, chaotic, unpredictable, fun. The whole chapter 2 cribs from l4d and comes up with a special infected as interesting as any of Valves.

I don't think its nearly as bad as some of the hate makes out though, and some people will really dig it.

I thought everything from Chapter 2 - 4 was pretty good and that the only real problem with chapter 5 is that it went on a bit too long. I didn't really mind the boss fights themselves. Gonna hopefully start the Chris campaign tomorrow and see how that goes once my coop buddy is back.

God I'm all hyped out now. Can't remember waiting for something for so long, playing a demo for so long, discussing said demo for so long, waiting for reviews for so long and then hearing so many conflicting things for so long.

I have Resi 6 fatigue without even getting it delivered yet.

In the words of spainkiller, just you wait!

Nah seriously, I think more people will enjoy it than the haters expect. Its going to be a nice juicy divisive thread once there are lots of copies out.

If a big "mature" franchise game like a mainline RE is averaging less than 70, its 'real world' score is almost certainly a 3 or 4.

Games journalism is still horribly sycophantic; you stick something that the average reviewer knows is from a big budget franchise that they're supposed to like in front of them, and you'be usually got a floor of about 8.

It takes a lot of dissent to cancel out the mastabatory plaudits you're always going to get because of what the game is called. They even managed to delver a plus-80 average for Final Fantasy XIII.

I see a lot of games get badly underrated but they're always those without much hype or which are deemed a bit kiddy / on a handheld / not becoming of our reviewer's status as an elite gamer.

This doesn't extend to every reviewer and some will genuinely enjoy it, but when a game in such a huge franchise is scoring as this is, it usually means it's pretty horrible.

Its not 'horrible'. The actual gameplay is very good. Its more the QTEs and scripted stuff that drags it down. I can't explain why but I feel like the knives are out for this one a bit, especially when you think about things like LA Noire being so lauded. People looking at the '6' scores and screaming 'omg train wreck' are just as guilty of using the 6 to 10 scale as reviewers sometimes are. There's a lot of game here, absolutely loads of content, and its all over the place. Some of it is great and some of it is terrible, with the rest somewhere in between. Whether you define a game by the best moments, the worst, or try to take it as a whole is up to you. But only by letting this game be defined by the worst excesses and most notable failures can you deem it to be a train wreck. The only way I can really define it is as something wildly uneven and unfocused. It tries to be everything to everyone instead of iterating on the core, quality gameplay, and the good stuff kind of gets lost in insane ladder climbing QTES. I've played about half of the available content and I still don't really know what to make of it!

Am I right in assuming that the Mercs levels are unlocked as you work your way through the campaign?

Just had 2 quick games before heading to work, managed to get a gold medal with Jake on the first level but it didn't unlock anything except for an alternative costume for him to wear.

Man Capcom sure pumps out some shit nowadays. Can't recall the last game I bought from them I really rated. Maybe SSFIV and that was an upgrade to a game that's almost 4 years old. What a pity.

You've played it then? Or do your sentiments echo your username.

There's some sort of Resident Evil 6 party at the GameStop on Market St in San Francisco.

They've hired ladies who are good at smoking pot and bad at giving directions to put on zombie makeup and walk about a bit.

The people attending look about a 6, but I don't care because Monster Hunter soon.

Can we talk about the game instead of arguing over review scores please? I hate you guys sometimes.

Well I know the Metro arent at the forefront of games reviews, but todays review of this makes it sound really shit.

Bring back exploding spiders and dogs jumping through windows please!

and proper Zombies:

post-265-0-34000100-1349162790.jpg