Resident Evil 6

I hate the upgrade system. It's utter shit.

Lots of other tiny niggles playing through Leon's first chapter. Killed by trains/cars/buses out of nowhere with no prompt. Ugh. Fiddling with the tablets is an utter arse as well.

Gave up for the night when I had to chase the dog in chapter 2, just couldn't be arsed. It's not utterly terrible but it's still very poor.

You don't really use it much. The upgrades seem weirdly expensive. I've played half the game and can't afford anything good.

Milkboz, its all pretty good until the catacombs.

I think chapter 3 of Jake's story might be my favourite so far; I'm playing through in the chronological order I posted before. The environment is a nice change of scenery, the geometry is roomy enough for decent shootouts and it's varied without relying on QTEs.

I hate the upgrade system. It's utter shit.

Lots of other tiny niggles playing through Leon's first chapter. Killed by trains/cars/buses out of nowhere with no prompt. Ugh. Fiddling with the tablets is an utter arse as well.

Gave up for the night when I had to chase the dog in chapter 2, just couldn't be arsed. It's not utterly terrible but it's still very poor.

Dude you've played like 4% of the game.

I'm a little over half way through the content and I just want to throw it in the bin

I've come to much the same position after an hour and a bit! Fair play to anyone who can eek any enjoyment out of this confused, mediocre shite but, fuck me, what a waste of forty quid.

The game's not average at all! If this was average, then the games industry would be fucked.

It's every bit as bad as I feared, and then some. The first thing that hit me - aside from the worst opening section in recent history - was how bad the visuals are: the texture resolution is PS2-level at best, and utterly destroys a lot of the 3D models - which are basic enough as it is. It's like running around that Mannequin level of Condemned most of the time, with plastic-looking dead people/zombies littered around the vanilla-Half-Life-2-looking environments - but hey, GOD RAYS and shit, right?

The game itself is like some mirror-universe RE4, where Leon moves around too fast, and the zombies are simply really high on caffeine, judging by the way they jitter and run around. It's hilarious for all the wrong reasons; I mean, fuck, the zombies shrug off headshots, for crying out loud. Massive, gaping holes in their heads, and they still just judder towards you without a care in the world.

I've done one Leon chapter in co-op. I can't wait to see how ridiculously terrible it gets later on.

You just caught me at the right time, dirtbag.

(You gotta imagine me saying this with a Dirty Harry kinda voice, or else it don't work.)

I did laugh to be fair. Meh's opinion sounds like what mine woulda been if i'd bought it.

There's this bit where you have to shoot five bells on top of the cathedral. You're standing there, in the pouring rain, looking out over a big forest, while the light of the torches behind you cast a shadow over the tower in front you. As you take aim to shoot the first bell, thunder comes crashing down, illuminating the trees in the forest for a split second.

I actually stopped playing for a few seconds to enjoy the view. Fucking STUNNING game.

There's no way I'd argue with you in terms of the lighting effects - because they are indeed of a very high quality.

That's it. There is nothing else in the game that looks 'good' so far. It's actually laughable in the looks department most of the time.

The demo was ugly in every way except for the main characters. Im glad someone else noticed the ps2 quality textures, low poly models and so on. Heres what I dont get...why, can someone give a genuine reason...why does it look significantly worse than RE5.

Nah - you know how bad the game is, but you're blatantly just getting some mad laughs out of seeing people react to your "IT'S FUCKING WONDERFUL" comments. I mean, fair play to you and all, because I'd find it amusing too.

The demo was ugly in every way except for the main characters. Im glad someone else noticed the ps2 quality textures, low poly models and so on. Heres what I dont get...why, can someone give a genuine reason...why does it look significantly worse than RE5.

They wanted fancier lighting, from what I read on GAF. I'm guess it can be used for more versatile shit that the last version of MT, but gawd knows why they'd ever want to use it again.

No surprises that I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Done the first two chapters of Chris's campaign. I've done it in veteran but by God it's tough. Think I'm going to knock it down to normal for the rest until I buy some decent upgrades. And are people knocking the prelude? That bit was fucking brilliant! Davros, you're gonna love it!

It plays fine. You just suck.

RE4 plays fine. RE5 plays fine. This doesn't.

No surprises that I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Done the first two chapters of Chris's campaign. I've done it in veteran but by God it's tough. Think I'm going to knock it down to normal for the rest until I buy some decent upgrades. And are people knocking the prelude? That bit was fucking brilliant! Davros, you're gonna love it!

The prelude where you press forward to walk a bit and press A a few times and do a bit of a shitty QTE bit with a helicopter that flies its badly-modelled self? Yeah, awesome.

The prelude where you press forward to walk a bit and press A a few times and do a bit of a shitty QTE bit with a helicopter that flies its badly-modelled self? Yeah, awesome.

Is this the same bit with the explosion you have to run away from towards the camera?

Because that looked dreadful.

So onto the last chapter of Chris campaign but had to knock it on the head for the night as my coop buddy was getting tired. I really quite enjoyed it for the first two chapters but thought that from chapter 3 onwards after a certain point I started to get bored with it. The setpieces just weren't very well handled after that and the awful section

in the jeep

was just utter pish. I do still love the core combat, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the actual core combat mechanics IMO. My favourite thing is quick shotting fools with the sniper rifle (I was playing as Piers) and then stomping on their heads. It's a really strange mix tbh, they are going for an action route in the style of Gears for Chris' campaign but it uses these completely different Resident Evil mechanics. It's a very strange thing to get used to at first but it didn't take me long to get into it.

My main bugbears at the moment are the really shit perks system and their not being enough weapons. The game is so fucking stingy with skill points it's unbelievable. I feel they are essentially worthless tbh. Where are all my glorious weapons to cause damage with ? It's the biggest Resi Evil game to date in terms of story campaigns yet I feel completely shortchanged when it comes to actual weapons to use.

I genuinely don't know what to think at this point. I really enjoyed Leons campaign with its flaws and all, liked Chris campaign to a point and still have yet to play Jacks campaign. It's an utter mess in many respects but yet I like a lot of things about it as well, especially things such as Capcoms creature designs which are bloody marvellous as per usual. It's a very interesting experiment by Capcom but it feels like them overstretching with ambition and not really realising it. Funnily enough I think the new combat mechanics shine the best in Mercenaries, they work really really well in that mode especially.

I'll finish Chris' campaign and make a start on Jakes campaign tomorrow.

Is there anyway to know when the game has actually saved your progress, i got to the checkpoint outside the catherdral and thought i could quit and i'd end up in the same place, i turn the game on and i'm back to the start of chapter 2. It was my fault really but i'm scared to turn the game off incase i end up back at the start of chapter 2!

It had better be here today.

Right, I'm going to sound incompetent for this, but I'm stuck on the running-into-the-screen bit from about 10 miniutes in :/ I have to hammer the button and steer Leon, and everyone else seems to have cleared this no problem but I've had about 10 goes and keep failing. What am I doing wrong? When I steer him around edges of buses or whatever he sometimes goes into an animation like he's starting running again. Do you have to just hammer it really fast or is there some knack to the steering I'm missing? Any help appreciated

I did it with ease. You don't have to hammer, just a quick tapping.

There's no way I'd argue with you in terms of the lighting effects - because they are indeed of a very high quality.

That's it. There is nothing else in the game that looks 'good' so far. It's actually laughable in the looks department most of the time.

I was puzzled by that back when I played the first demo. Lots of talk of how great looking it was/is. Based on that demo and all the footage I've seen since... Some nice effects here and there (which seem to result in framerate issues), some really bad effects, really good character designs. Otherwise, not a particularly good looking game, though I guess that's a taste thing. Playing loads of games on a modest PC lately, I have come to prefer the high-res/detail, minimal effects look.

Besides, in most of the gameplay I've seen the play area is a tiny narrow corridor about the width of one character (this was so annoying in that demo). Not exactly lots of stuff to model.

The whole section is just a tutorial for the controls, and as such was mighty enjoyable. The running away from the giant explosion is just showing you the dash move, just doing it with a massive explosion chasing you. I was enjoying it too much to notice any badly modelled stuff or whatever.

Is there anyway to know when the game has actually saved your progress, i got to the checkpoint outside the catherdral and thought i could quit and i'd end up in the same place, i turn the game on and i'm back to the start of chapter 2. It was my fault really but i'm scared to turn the game off incase i end up back at the start of chapter 2!

Wait until you get to a checkpoint that says "Saving..." rather than just "Check Point.."

I've made the same mistake myself.. not anymore.