Donkey Konga - 1st Impressions

SimonC

I'll be opening her up on my little cousins PAL Cube, but have [if I can find her] a 59 formatted to Jap already, thankfully.

If it is a Japanese format memory card then a PAL cube will not accept it, and will ask if you want to format it. If it isn't a Japanese format memory card (and is simply one you formatted on a PAL or US machine whilst playing a Japanese game via freeloader) then it sounds like the game will not accept it, and will you if you want to format it.

A PAL or US machine cannot read and cannot produce a Japanese format memory card. A lot of Japanese games don't care and will just write to a card the hardware is happy with, some however, are more fussy.

If this game does have the same issues as Mr Driller then you will not be able to get round the problem by trying different formats of memory card.

Just thought i'd mention that over on the NTSC forums, it's been confirmed that you can use a normal GC pad for playing too. Not that you'd want to but that way, hopefully, and unlike samba de amigo, you will be able to have 2p + matches with atleast u on drums and other mates on Pads. Can any1 confirm that you can play pad Vs Drum, or do you all need the same, eg. pads or drums?

Had a play when I got home.

It is great fun, but the music seems to be absolutely awful.

It probably didn't help that I had a headache though, so I'll try again once the painkillers have kicked in.

Don't diss the J-Pop, ma~n!

Although "COLORS" isn't Utada Hikaru's best... unfortunately...

Can any1 confirm that you can play pad Vs Drum, or do you all need the same, eg. pads or drums?

Though I haven't tried it (I was double bongoing yesterday with my house-mate), the menus would suggest that this is very much a possibility.

With the controller the controls seem to be:

Left Stick = Left Bongo

A = Right Bongo

L = Clap

It probably didn't help that I had a headache though, so I'll try again once the painkillers have kicked in.

Don't diss the J-Pop, ma~n!

Although "COLORS" isn't Utada Hikaru's best... unfortunately...

I have to say that it isn't really what I expected J-Pop to be.

I always imagined J-Pop would be crazy lively cheesey happy music (like on Vib-Ribbon).

The stuff on Konga seems quite ... umm ... dull.

Ah --finally somebody has said it. Admittedly, this has more to do with my --shall we say-- deep, deep dislike of the recently-released version of "My Grandfather's Clock," (which is included in the game) but I have to admit that the songs on offer are, overall, not that appealing to me. Also, I am of the opinion that, in terms of peripheral and game quality, Taiko no Tatsujin is actually better, but don't mind me...

Ah --finally somebody has said it. Admittedly, this has more to do with my --shall we say-- deep, deep dislike of the recently-released version of "My Grandfather's Clock," (which is included in the game) but I have to admit that the songs on offer are, overall, not that appealing to me.

Yep, Gradfathers Clock is awful. So far there has only been a couple of tracks that are at all lively/fun/enjoyable. Even the versions of Labamba and Mambo No. 5 seem to have been dullified.

I'm not sure what exactly it was that I didn't like about the music, but it did all just sound pretty bad (and not in a fun kitch way). THough, I am sure the headache didn't help, so will give it another go soon (probably not today as my head is still achey and full of snot).

Also, I am of the opinion that, in terms of peripheral and game quality, Taiko no Tatsujin is actually better, but don't mind me...

Yeah, I'd like to give that a try, but it would probably involve getting a new PS2 to get chipped (my current PS2 is a first gen UK 'ain't touching that with a barge-pole' one).

Oh, I've just remembered one of my favourite aspects of the game:

Towards the end of each song there's a section where you need to do a drum-roll. Whoever gets the most beats in then gets a bonus at the end of the game (5000 + something to do with the extra beats you got). It seems I the drumroll king and even when I got a lower score before bonuses were added on, I nearly always won the game anyway. :-)

Oh, I've just remembered one of my favourite aspects of the game:

Towards the end of each song there's a section where you need to do a drum-roll. Whoever gets the most beats in then gets a bonus at the end of the game (5000 + something to do with the extra beats you got). It seems I the drumroll king and even when I got a lower score before bonuses were added on, I nearly always won the game anyway. :-)

Ah.

Now that scares me.

If my friend finds out about that, I'm pretty sure he'll break the bongos. He's one of these people who wouldn't have had a problem on the torture bit in MGS, and I can only envisage him knocking seven bells out of my drums.

Hmm, this game does seem quite easy. Last night I played through a mode where songs keep coming one after another and you seem to have an energy bar (that re-sets for each song) that goes down whenever you miss a beat.

I completed it (30 songs I think) on my first go with my energy bar barely taking a hit.

Hmm, this game does seem quite easy.

try the mode where the drums don't have any symbols on to tell you whether to clap, hit left/right or both!

I think there's actually 6 different difficulty modes in single player. Once you've selected single player from the first menu there's easy,normal & hard menus. From there you pick your song and then before you start to play there's another option to change (left & right on the bongos, then start). That seems to alter difficulty between 2 different levels as well.

Hmm, this game does seem quite easy.

try the mode where the drums don't have any symbols on to tell you whether to clap, hit left/right or both!

Eh?

Are they still different colours though?

Or does it just become guesswork (which I guess would be annoying).

I'd only really noticed the clap being symbolic anyway - aren't the others just different colours?

I picked my copy up yesterday, and I think it's fantastic. I'm at a loss of why people are finding it too easy though. Certainly in easy it is easy, but hard is quite challenging, and expert is really really tough.

The toughness comes from the need to co-ordinate clapping in the midst of all this bongoing action. If it was leterally a case of banging two drums there would be much to it, I think the clap element is a work of genius. The bit where you have a the symbol that gets you to clap like you are doing a drum roll is close to impossible to do without a) looking slight demented, and B) laughing.

There is an excellent translation on gamefaq's now - up until this point I couldn't quite figure out what made was what, or how to buy the expert versions of the tracks

Ah --finally somebody has said it. Admittedly, this has more to do with my --shall we say-- deep, deep dislike of the recently-released version of "My Grandfather's Clock," (which is included in the game) but I have to admit that the songs on offer are, overall, not that appealing to me.

I had to sing that fucking song on average three times a day, every day, for ten weeks. You don't know pain like I know pain.

I had to sing that fucking song on average three times a day, every day, for ten weeks. You don't know pain like I know pain.

You fucking loved it.

Just a quick note to say that after a weekend of multiplayer frolics, this is probably my favourite game all year. It's pretty good in single-play but really comes alive with two sets of bongos. If only I could save progress (UK freeloader type) it'd be perfect.

Just a quick note to say that after a weekend of multiplayer frolics, this is probably my favourite game all year. It's pretty good in single-play but really comes alive with two sets of bongos. If only I could save progress (UK freeloader type) it'd be perfect.

Its a beutiful thing, played it all weekend and am amazed with it. Music is fantastic .

People have been talking about a mode where you get an energy bar and multiple songs. Is this multi player as I cant seem to find it in single player mode. Thoughts anyone? :lol:

Its a beutiful thing, played it all weekend and am amazed with it. Music is fantastic .

People have been talking about a mode where you get an energy bar and multiple songs. Is this multi player as I cant seem to find it in single player mode. Thoughts anyone? :lol:

It's the menu item just underneath the normal single player game in the main menu. It's 1 or 2 players.