A piece of art I'm tempted to make a figure out of...

Browsing as I do on Deviantart, I stumbled across this very simple little picture and I rather fell in love with it...

the_last_dragon_by_lyles-d41ru41.jpg

It's definitely based on the bird from Game of Thrones, but seeing as how it's in such a very different style to the series seems to be, I'm rather taken by the thought of making a figure on her (and hopefully not getting into trouble with it - quite honestly, I don't see how I could with this one). Of course, it might well not happen - I've emailed the artist to see if she'd be interested in the idea, and I've put the question to one of my sculpting contacts about a price - but I think it could just make a really nice, simple figure that'd be quite nice to paint!

Love to hear thoughts on it though - good idea or not?

Please say yes...:P

See, the problem with that design is that it immediately puts me in mind of another dragon-rearing lassie, and she's one that can't be beat (and will never have a miniature made of her): Orta. But that's just me being a tit, so you should probably ignore everything I say.

Would it just be a one-off?

It'd be made to be cast up and sold, that's for sure!

See, the problem with that design is that it immediately puts me in mind of another dragon-rearing lassie, and she's one that can't be beat (and will never have a miniature made of her): Orta. But that's just me being a tit, so you should probably ignore everything I say.

Nah, you're well within your rights :P . Never seen that image before! Very nice...not touching that one with a bargepole though...the thought of Sega bumming me in the gob and then asking for all my money (house, car, dog and canary...) is a thought far too terrible!

To be honest with you, as far as I'm concerned it's not a Game of Thrones character at all. I'd be more than happy to take away the dragon parts altogether really - personally she struck me as having a bit of a pirate look really.

I didn't really notice the link until I read the artist's comments at the end - I just thought it was a cool little picture really!

As for GRRM or HBO bumming me, they'd have a terribly hard time doing it with this piece anyway, which is nice. Unlike my Elf which was definitely almost a case of getting a huge bumming had not the original author kindly just said stop :)

And yes, I've got bumming on the mind, quite obviously...

Anyhoo - forget the Game of Thrones link for a second - really I'm looking to see if folk would think it could make a nice figure or not really :)

I think it would be nice with the three dragons, and a little lacklustre without - it would make a good mage model in 28mm, and I'd be fairly certain to buy one.

I can't see you having any problems from a legal standpoint as long as you don't call her by name/advertise her as being based on the series - just look at Hasslefree's Adventurer sculpts for the cast of Buffy and Hot Fuzz, or Heresy for the cast of Doctor Who.

Personally it doesn't light any fires of passion and I'd rather see some more in the way of sci-fi figures from you.

You know what Ben, I've rather got bored with Sci-Fi stuff really. The closest I'll get (and it's a big 'if' at the moment) is carrying on doing some more figures from the same universe as the Servant Prime model I did. If I got the money together, then I have this awesome mounted dude to get made - Allan Carrasco has already said he'd be happy to do it, but the costs would be pretty enormous for it - after all, it'd be nearer the size of that LOTR Mumakil figure! Ironic thing is that the majority of the fantasy Warhammer stuff leaves me rather cold, yet the 40k stuff I love - maybe that's why I don't have the will to do sci-fi?

What happened with the elf model? I noticed the 54mm version a few months back and meant to ask.

Ah, the sad story is that some bugger took a bit of offense at my copying of the original artwork, posted it on the Moorcock website, to which Micheal kindly (and simply!) said I'd really rather you didn't continue selling it. So I stopped - one of those incredibly stupid things I sometimes do really. I honestly had no idea that the image was so popular. All I had was it on a really old copy of an Elric book which I'd not seen in years. I just thought it'd make a cool figure...which I think it did! Anyway, lesson learned on that one. God knows whether the producers of the 54mm got permission, but they seem to have got away with it if they haven't. I saw it in the flesh the other day, and - whilst I know it's me saying it :P - I didn't think it was all that really!

• 3 weeks later...