IGNORED

Star Wars!

Campfire_Burning

Not surprising they're cashing in on the new films, Rey sounds fun to fly, preferring to get ships in arc, encouraging clever flying.

This is still for sale by the way...

On 29/03/2016 at 4:49 PM, Jackson said:

Am going full Imperial so selling off a few Rebel bits if anyone wants (includes all upgrade cards and stuff).

- B wing expansion

- T70 X Wing expansion

- Rebel Aces expansion

£30 (plus £3 p&p) for the lot.

Well I've recently been flying some Biggs and 2x Heavy Laser B-wings action, which has been quite successful and a lot of fun, even though I don't usually endorse rebel scum.

• 2 weeks later...

Tournament write up time!

Just a short one this but thought I'd detail it a bit:

I ran my above list:

Biggs with R2-D2 and Stealth Device

2 x basic B-wings with Heavy Laser, Fire control, b-wing crew upgrade, and one with Tactician one with Jan Ors.

Match 1: vesus Dash Rendar with heavy laser and all that horrible stuff, and "Chopper" in the VCX-100

Started badly with me choosing to charge ahead with 4 speeds which have been successful before but with big ships this was probably not so good. Chopper rammed into my formation good and proper, crippling my B-wings and preventing them moving out of the way, then Dash just arc dodged and repeatedly positioned himself just right at range 3 to not have to shoot Biggs and to get 4 dice with the cannon into my B-wing with Jan Ors so it couldn't be used to protect Biggs. Though the VCX was such a damage sponge I still didn't manage to damage it enough for half points as I was 1 point away from that! Lost 100-0

Match 2: versus 5 A-wings with Crack Shot, Adaptability and some with Stealth Device I think

I loved flying against this list but unfortunately my B-wings did not. Biggs died to focused crack shot fire from all 5 ships on the second or third round, then my B-wings trapped a couple of A-wings in a knife fight and took one out, but then the rest just chipped and chipped away until I was toast. Lost 100-21

Match 3: versus 2x (!) VCX-100s. One was Chopper and one standard one I think, both tricked out with stuff like Dash on one to be okay landing on obstacles and anti pursuit lasers.

So having been embarrassed by a VCX-100 list before that I thought I would have done okay against, this match then went a lot better than the first one - he made a mistake early on and ended up landing the one on an asteroid that didn't have Dash on board. Biggs and the B-wings completely tore it to shreds in one round with three good rolls and target locks as it had been damaged by an asteroid and he drew a double damage crit on the last volley. The second ship managed to get a shot or two off on Biggs, but he never lost more than his shields the whole game. Won 100-0

REVENGE!

(by proxy through someone else but still...)

• 3 weeks later...

So, while the Yavin Open was under way at the games expo on saturday, my newly-opened FLGS had a casual little 7-player x-wing tourney, which I entered. Here's the after-action report...

It being a (very) casual tournament, I specifically went for a not-all-out list, which had to include Poe with BB-8 as I hadn't used him since finshing my custom paint job.

Poe Dameron (BB-8, Predator, Autothrusters),

Keyan Farlander (PTL) ,

Red Ace (R2 Unit, Integrated Astro)

Match 1: Vs Rebels - Han Solo (Nein Nunb, Falcon, Elusiveness), Ibitsam (E2, Kyle, PTL), Prototype Pilot (chardaan)

This was against an inexperienced player but I played fairly badly - classic errors of forgetting upgrades (especially the R2 on red) and a bit of my own inexperience with the T-70. Lost Poe early, took out the A-wing and the Falcon and eventually it came down to Farlander Vs Ibitsam. I had the upper hand , having the pilot skill advantage, and being able to shed stress for extra mobility. however, when time was called, both ships were still alive meaning a narrow loss. Loss 32-35

Match 2: Vs Imperials - Howlrunner, 3x omega squadron (all with determination and Hull upgrade) Academy (Hull)

So, when I saw the list , I was expecting the setup to be a clump around Howlrunner - however, what he did was set up in a wide line across his edge. Lost the B-wing, but that was it, and my opponent was left with a single omega TIE at the close. Win 68-21

Match 3, Vs Rebels - 2x dagger squadron pilot w/ion cannon. 2x Green squadron w/ marksmanship (there's something I've forgotten here as that's only 94 points*)

This game was against a work colleague who I've played before about 18 months ago. He doesn't play that often (preferring Armada) and it showed. Poe One-shotted one of the A-wings with the first shot of the game (rolled hit hit crit crit, he rolled three blanks, and to add insult to injury both crits were direct hits). He threw a lot at Red Ace, who got through it, at which point he got very demoralised as I mopped up the rest for a victory.  About half way through, I had to sub out My B-wing as its stand mount had broken. Win 100-0

The original plan had been to end the tournament after three rounds, but as two of us were tied on 2 full wins and a loss (and the organiser hadn't been tracking MoV), we agreed to a winner-takes all decider!

Match 4, Vs Imperials - Vader (X/1, ATC), Inquisitor (PTL, Title) Redline (FCS, Plasma torps, Cluster Miss, Extra munitions, guidance chips)

I was quite nervous about this list as, on paper, it looked much stronger than the others I'd faced - Redline (a Tie Punisher) was very dangerous-looking: bristling with ordnance and guidance chips. generating many free target locks, and he was backed up by two high pilot skill aces.

I decided to go for Vader first so that, if I took him out, it would free up Poe for more moving last BB-8 barrel roll shenanigans that I'd started getting a good feel for.  Dice were with me and in first exhange of fire between Poe and Vader Poe only lost one shield and took Vader down to two hull points. My opponent was slow-rolling the Punisher trying for range 3 shots but he didn't quite make it on the second turn. Next turn, Vader went down to focused fire from all three of mine, though Farlander lost all five shields to a plasma torps shot. the two T-70s bracketed the Inquisitor, and Farlander turned in to the Punisher.  The inquisitor went down, then the punisher opened fire on farlander. He died to a cluster missile volley, but got to shoot back and got some good hits back in before being removed from the table. Next turn, Red ace bought it from the cluster missiles, leaving (basicallty undamged) Poe Vs the The bomber4, which had a blinded pilot crit on it by this point. after a turn which ended with the big boy stresses, on two hull points, and Poe on his 4 o clock at R1, my opponent conceded. Win - 100- 62

So I won a tournament! All it took was for there to be the biggest X-wing tourney to date happening 25 miles away drawing almost every properly serious X-wing player in a 100 mile radius away, so all I had to face was a small, weak field.

Still, a win's a win, eh? Got to choose a small ship off the shelf for a prize so took a TIE Bomber.

Lessons learned - BB-8 feels like a bargain for the 2 points, as on a high-PS ship with boost you're getting something slightly akin to the pre-nerf TIE Phantom's positioning tricks, where you can read the board state and then choose a finishing position to your advantage. Predator (which I haven't used before) is also really good as it's not action-dependent, and you don;t often need to re-roll more than one die anyway on a 3 or 4 die attack if you're focused.

*Edit - I asked the guy what his list was - and yes, I had it right there- he was playing at a nominal 98 points, as he doesn't own rebel aces, so no Chaardan refit cards(which are so auto-include I just assumed he had them). So, under "normal" tournament conditions he was leaving 6 points on the table.

Out of interest - how forgiving are tournies in terms of nudging, knocking things while moving, measuring etc.

When ever I've played Armada I've had to have a very forgiving opponent to due to my fat and clumsy hands. And elbows. 

It depends, a lot.

The higher the level of a tournament, the more precise everyone's expected to be, however everyone knows that occasional knocks will happen when dealing with little spaceships on sticks. especially on some of the newer ships that are really top-heavy like the K-wing, Punisher, and the upcoming arc-170.

Trimmed range rulers specifically for range 1 and 2 help a lot with this.

If you're clearly making an effort to play precisely (and making occasional mistakes) you won;t have an issue - it's players who rush, and place ships and templates sloppily who get up people's noses. I mean, in the final game I managed to knock over both the Punisher and B-wing with a single slip of the range ruler but we just tipped them back onto their bases and carried on.

Things are tighter, usually, on other aspects of procedure. in one of my games my opponent had forgotten to do an action on a ship asked to go back to it though the organiser said no as he'd moved on to another ship. I will usually remind an opponent a few times at the start of a match if they've forgotten to do actions but I usually won't once there are damage cards on the table.

You have to be quite strict with measuring shots. Laser lines for arcs are hugely useful and remove most disputes, plus no risk of knocking a ship over. close calls on range still sometimes can drag on but it's not that common for me.

in short, as long as you treat the game and the opponent with respect, then the community's quite forgiving of errors.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing board games and RPGs since I was about 14.  I've played countless rule systems of varying complexities, some wonderful mechanics, some complex look ups...

but MAN

I reckon Imperial Assault is probably the most complex game I've ever played.  We've been playing the campaign now for weeks and weeks, almost at the last mission and we're STILL getting stuff wrong.

I suspect this is more down to how FFG write their rule books.  I thought Warhammer Quest was bad - but once it clicked, it became obvious how that game worked... but surely we're not alone in getting IA so wrong.

On 3/10/2016 at 8:41 AM, Jackson said:

How do you guys like to fly the Decimator? It's a really exciting ship to list build with as there's a ton of load out options.

My favourite so far....

TIE Interceptor: •Soontir Fel (35)
        Autothrusters (2)
        Stealth Device (3)
        Royal Guard TIE (0)
        Push The Limit (3)

VT-49 Decimator: •Rear Admiral Chiraneau (65)
        Engine Upgrade (4)
        Predator (3)
        Gunner (5)
        •Rebel Captive (3)
        •Ysanne Isard (4)

Total:  100/100

I flew this (well, modified, so Fel had a targeting computer instead of the stealth, so 99 points) last night in a game against a friend flying BBBBZ at my FLGS and it's nasty.

I've flown against it on the benchmarker and found it tricky to beat, but actually flying it was eye-opening.

Chiraneau hits so hard - and his ability, and predator, work so well with gunner because neither of them require you to spend anything so you get them on both attacks. And the Deci flies like a fighter - with the engine upgrade it's like a super turreted T-70.

8/10 would fly again.

The shop had Imperial Veterans in, but I'll have to wait till pay day for that one.

Regional tournament this Saturday in Norwich. I have hardly been playing recently so I'm thinking of just flying the Chiraneu/Fel list quoted above. At least I'm familiar with it!

I just made this as an alternative, I assume people try to kill palp first so the engine upgrade might give some survivability. What do you think? This or Deci / Fel?

TIE Interceptor: •Soontir Fel (35)
        Stealth Device (3)
        Autothrusters (2)
        Royal Guard TIE (0)
        Push The Limit (3)

TIE Adv. Prototype: •The Inquisitor (31)
        Autothrusters (2)
        TIE/v1 (1)
        Push The Limit (3)

Lambda-Class Shuttle: Omicron Group Pilot (33)
        Engine Upgrade (4)
        •Emperor Palpatine (8)

Total:  99/100

The low PS on the shuttle means you might struggle to get value out of the engine upgrade for arc dodging unless facing a swarm list. Personally I might go for something more offensive. But that's the only thing I'd question. It does look very solid.

I've been playing that same Palp Aces list bar one change for the last couple of months and have a lot of success with. 

I would however think about changing Engine Upgrade on the Shuttie to Sensor Jammer, which should make it surprisingly more survivable. 

Ooh I forgot low pilot skill makes EU a bit crap, thanks. I've replaced it with proton rockets on the inq. and ion projector on the lambda. That actually seems pretty awesome to me, I'm gonna try it!

My reasoning is that my opponents will be hesitant to move in one either of those ships, and I can be more aggressive with them.

Won 4, lost 2, finished 18th out of 60. Really pleased with that! Got an alt art Hera pilot card, and won alt art Vader pilot in the raffle too!

I beat a triple J list in one of the most tense matches I've played. So many close calls and clever barrel rolls! Those proton rockets were easily worth the 3 points, they were used in 4 of the 6 matches and always made an impact.

Love using palp to fly through an asteroid and guarantee safety :)

Can't wait to get into tie defenders now, imperial vets wasn't legal in this tournament.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Spent a stupid amount of time trying to work out if I want more Armada stuff (currently play Rebels and got Core, Space Potato and fighters)

But another ship wouldn't fit in the Feldherr case (a little annoying that every tray assumes you'll have or want two of each...lovely product otherwises) I have...so then look at a bigger case...but then that can hold even more ships....

It's a horrid cycle...

But then I look at the Wave 4 ship....(no trays for it yet).

51G5dDjrQtL.jpg

So pretty...and like a proper MC ship looks rather than silly Home One.....

Gah....

I'm quite keen to try out building a couple of squadrons for xwing - but not quite willing to buy the minis until I've worked out what I need, as it can be pretty expensive (I priced it at about 100 quid to get a few A wings, Y wings, B wings, Tie interceptors, Tie bombers etc)

Is anyone aware of anywhere with items/manouver cards/wheel/pilot details for ships that I could print out and play around with until I settle on the type and number of ships I'd like to actually buy?

Played the last mission in the IA campaign last night... brilliant stuff.  Especially since our DM has bought some of the 'special miniatures'.  One of our heroes died and the whole game came right down to a single roll of the dice, a single shot.  Me and another player had to leave the room to work out our final turn in detail - and pulled it off quite superbly.  Much to the DM's surprise who thought he'd won.  Great game.

Can't wait for the app for it to come out.

21 hours ago, scottcr said:

I'm quite keen to try out building a couple of squadrons for xwing - but not quite willing to buy the minis until I've worked out what I need, as it can be pretty expensive (I priced it at about 100 quid to get a few A wings, Y wings, B wings, Tie interceptors, Tie bombers etc)

Is anyone aware of anywhere with items/manouver cards/wheel/pilot details for ships that I could print out and play around with until I settle on the type and number of ships I'd like to actually buy?

X-wing builder has this as an option when you go to print out a list - selecting "full" will show all the card text.

(example: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/552638/bresserad#view=full)

Dealing with dials is still tricky, though.

I played my second game of X-Wing last week, that being a casual three player 200 point game with two huge ships and all three factions. We didn't quite have time to finish, but it was great fun. Shout out to my scum Y-Wing who was accidentally sent in the wrong direction, narrowly missed an asteroid, got blinded by a lucky crit and then blown to pieces by an imperial raider. Whoops!

I played an Imperial Assault skirmish on the weekend too. I know it gets more complicated in the campaigns, but it was pretty slick. Darth Vader is quite the powerhouse in it, as he should be.

Finally I've just picked up Rebellion too. I was expecting something ridiculously complicated, but it's really not as far as I can tell. I'm really looking forward to trying that out.

• 1 month later...
On 17/08/2015 at 18:53, Flams said:

Anyone played Edge of The Empire? Was given it for my birthday as I'd wanted to get into roleplaying for a while and this seemed a good way to go.

Any tips for succesfully GMing a first game?

On 17/08/2015 at 19:50, jonamok said:

I have it, and pretty much the full range of books and modules etc.

I GM'd the published Beginner Game followed by the Beyond the Rim adventure this time last year on my small group of 4 PCs, and will be running Jewel of Yavin on them in a few weeks.

It's a lovely system and the narrative dice really help the GM inject some drama and playfulness into proceedings. Top tip is learn the rules and the dice by heart! Then be prepared for your players to moan about the 'funny dice'. But once they click with it they'll love it.

Another tip, head over to D20radio.com and subscribe to the Order 66 podcast. It's a fortnightly dive into GMing the system and the guys who run it are brilliant. Listen to the back podcasts too, they are full of GMing gold, and they have designers from FFG on all the time.

Have fun, enjoy the system, it's fantastically well designed.

Over a year later and we're just approaching the end of the first chapter of The Jewel of Yavin. We've had a great journey, the players are finally roleplaying rather than playing a game. Had a great moment in The Long Arm of the Hutt where it finally clicked for them and they realised they could do whatever the hell they wanted rather than just stand around and fight. They decided to beat a crew of enemies by rigging a speeder in to blow up. They succesfully manged to set it up, got it moving towards their intended target and had the most catastrophic roll ever which blew them up and all the twileks helping them. 

I'm loving the preparation for each session almost as much as the actual GM-ing and trying to guide them through the story to see as much as possible. Even did a separate session for one guy who couldn't make the main session. Had him kidnapped by someone they don't know is trying to get them and he ended up losing an arm (he's a droid so it'll be fine). Starting to think of our own mini adventure to wrap up the threads I've been dropping about the kidnapper. I love this game!

Glad you're enjoying it. My lot finished a heavily customised version of JoY back in January, and utterly loved it. I'd adapted it with loads of new stuff aligned to their individual and collective character arcs. A lot of work, but so worth it.

I'll be running Mask of the Pirate Queen on them from Christmas. Only just started reading it, but looks like fun!

On 25/10/2016 at 07:42, jonamok said:

Glad you're enjoying it. My lot finished a heavily customised version of JoY back in January, and utterly loved it. I'd adapted it with loads of new stuff aligned to their individual and collective character arcs. A lot of work, but so worth it.

I'll be running Mask of the Pirate Queen on them from Christmas. Only just started reading it, but looks like fun!

What sort of stuff did you add in? 

All new characters and plot elements tied to player character backgrounds, obligation, motivations etc. New nemeses too. Even two romance subplots. All woven into the general story arc and key set pieces - Grand Prix, Auction, Robbery and encounter with the Jedi. And also some call backs and surviving enemies from stuff that happened in their previous campaign (Beyond the Rim). Lot of work!