DJ Shadow

Art Vandelay

You're right, it's an ignorant comment, but I don't here anyone mention anything else... But then I did forget entirely about Blood On The Motorway and where that came from. I need to hear that song NOW.

The Private Press is the best he's come out with, why would you listen to what others have to say about him? You're missing a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw him last night at Village Undergound. Guys he's back. He tore the place apart with jungle and dnb drops over old favourites, even a dubstep five minutes. Loads of material I hadn't heard before, and almost all of it good. There was only one track the crowd didn't really get into.

I'd not seen him live before, and it's a completely different feel to listening to any of his records. He DJs, reading the crowd and building and layering until he thinks you've had enough. If you're just a passing fan but you like high energy breaks then I implore you to try and pick up a ticket next time around. I think he said he's at Bestival so if you're going there you're in for a treat.

Ears still ringing, face still grinning :)

Saw him last night at Village Undergound. Guys he's back. He tore the place apart with jungle and dnb drops over old favourites, even a dubstep five minutes. Loads of material I hadn't heard before, and almost all of it good. There was only one track the crowd didn't really get into.

I'd not seen him live before, and it's a completely different feel to listening to any of his records. He DJs, reading the crowd and building and layering until he thinks you've had enough. If you're just a passing fan but you like high energy breaks then I implore you to try and pick up a ticket next time around. I think he said he's at Bestival so if you're going there you're in for a treat.

Ears still ringing, face still grinning :)

I bought tickets yesterday for the Liverpool show in December so I'm really looking forward to it. Been a fan for years but missed out on the last few tours for various reasons. Was particularly gutted when he toured The Private Press as RJD2 was the support act.

Roll on December

cubik

Managed to listen to the first half on the way into work, immeasurably better than The Outsider although that was only to be expected. Track three is awesome and I need to find out who raps on it and the Tom Vek track would be far better without Tom Vek. It starts so promisingly and then that voice happens and makes it sound like something off a recent UNKLE album.

Just listened to the album. On first listen I prefer it to The Outsider, but it doesn't seem to gel into an album. It's a collection of mostly decent tracks, but doesn't seem like a complete piece of work in the way that Endtroducing or The Private Press flows from one track to the next.

The fade out on track 3 seems out of place too, just doesn't fit the song..

I think it will need a few more listens before it sinks in properly. I do agree on the Tom Vek track though, great backing track spoiled by sub-Unkle vocals.

cubik

After a couple of more listens, I'm of the opinion that it still sounds like a collection of tracks, rather than an album.

Some good tunes on there, and very well produced as usual. It almost sounds too clean in places, without the usual "warmth" that Shadow can bring. He can still create some serious beats though.

Main thing that seems odd (minor criticism I know) which I mentioned above is how many of the tracks just fade out, without a proper ending to them.

Oh the whole, it was never going to live up to his previous work, because he set the bar so high, but it's certainly worth a listen. The Tom Vek track is even growing on me too.

Looking forward to the tour

cubik

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

He'd be more successful if he just chose a style for an album and stuck to it. I'd rather a 30 minute album of hyphy or his dubstep stuff than an hour and a bit of wildly eclectic sprawl. The Private Press and Endtroducing especially work because they sound like a whole; you can't just listen to a track and leave it there. He still makes some amazing tracks but either isn't capable or willing to trim down an LP to be a satisfying listen, but then that's a criticism valid for about 90% of musicians releasing music now.

• 7 months later...