IGNORED

StarFox 64 / Lylat Wars

Jack

I quite liked SNES Starwing, so i picked up Lylat Wars the other day on the N64....played in for about 30 mins and didn't enjoy it at all....s'pose I'll have to give it another try sometime, but it just left me feeling cold and bored...

Thank God I am not the only one.

Lylat Wars and Goldeneye. Two N64 games I never understood why people loved so much.

INCOMING MESSAGE FROM GENERAL PEPPER - PRIORITY ONE

Starfox, we need your help!

Andross has declared war!

He's invaded the Lylat System,

And is trying to take over Corneria!

Our army alone can't do the job -

Hurry, Starfox!

All from memory. Bam!

I loved Lylat Wars. Every day after school for anout 6 months I'd sit down and play the game from beginning to end. It was fantastic.

"Daddy screamed REAL GOOD, right before he died!"

I'd really welcome a bonus disc. It could have Lylat Wars, Starwing and maybe Starfox 2! And maybe an updated version of Starwing with a decent frame rate, analogue control, and a better resolution (don't change the actual models though). That would be great.

The voice acting is actually quite superb. Ages ago, I thought, nah, it's a bit naff, but it's really quite good. Leon's taunting "Shoot me down, if you can!" is superb.

And everyone cheers when you hear "Don't ever give up, my son."

Star Fox 64 /Lylat Wars was excellent. My only main problem with it, was that it was annoying you would play through and then if you screwed up hitting a switch or something, it wouldnt open the second route.

Well mainly for me, there is a level you drive the tank thing. You have to shoot out 5 lights or something - i could only find four, so i never opened up the extra route =(

Im sure Armada will improve greatly. Its got too...

Star Fox 64 /Lylat Wars was excellent. My only main problem with it, was that it was annoying you would play through and then if you screwed up hitting a switch or something, it wouldnt open the second route.

Well mainly for me, there is a level you drive the tank thing. You have to shoot out 5 lights or something - i could only find four, so i never opened up the extra route =(

Im sure Armada will improve greatly. Its got too...

I am pretty sure it won't.

Redsquirrel your missing the best ending to a level ever. Its easy enough to hit the switches, although one is hidden behind a building you have to blow up the entrance to to get it. But seeing all 5 isnt that hard if u know where they are and where to hit. Go and do it now, its the best ending to the level ever! 30 seconds of explostions!

Redsquirrel your missing the best ending to a level ever. Its easy enough to hit the switches, although one is hidden behind a building you have to blow up the entrance to to get it. But seeing all 5 isnt that hard if u know where they are and where to hit. Go and do it now, its the best ending to the level ever! 30 seconds of explostions!

I will go and play it sometime soon. I did do it about 5-10 times but always missed the 5th (or 4th) switch..

One way to make the Gamecube game different and possibly superior would be to have a Star Wof storyline and missions along with the traditional Star Fox ones. Being able to do battle from both sides of the fence would really be fantastic. plus it means you could shoot down Falco and get some points for it instead of just taking him down every so often to make him shut up.

I really don't understand what Namco is up to with this title. The game should be mainly about flying with some strange vehicles thrown in now and again. I think everybody is in agreement that it looks like it's going to go all pear shaped come next year.

The entire game was great, though I wish there was away to choose the route you took. I had to read the advice from N64 magazine to find out how to open up most of the routes.

Great voice acting, undeniably.

"Close...but no cigar!"

They should make a game all about leon. That'd be brill.

And the guy who did the introduction has the best voice ever.

This is my favourite game, ever, bar none. I love it to bits. All the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when James appears at the end. Katina, Macbeth, Titania, Sector Z... brilliant.

I think what makes it so good is it feels like an adventure, and it feels more cinematic than any other game I've played. Where most developers think this is achieved by widescreen borders, lengthy FMV/cutscenes, and complex plots, LW does it by offering up wonderful and unique/memorable set pieces within the game itself, and the cutscenes are limited to brief bookends to each level. There's always something new happening, it never drags on, even though the whole game is just varying ways of shooting things.

The dialogue is constant, but filled with enough cheesy character and flamboyant fun it never tires, and most people I know have it embedded in their brains.

Most of all it doesn't go about creating an immersive adventure by making a hugely long complex quest, each playthrough only takes maybe an hour or so, depending. But each time you can feasibly get a unique experience, take a different route, at first it's the discovery of these routes, later on it's the thrill of basically being able to customise your journey at will every time. There's no worry of leaving the game and 'forgetting' where you were, it's simply a nicely contained experience every time, just like a movie.

On top of all this of course is the basic score-attack gameplay at the core, which lets you come back to earn Medals and unlock extras, or simply beat your high score.

There is nothing in the world of gaming I'd love more than a GameCube update, following the same basic ethos and style of LW, but with stunning up to date visuals and sound, more levels, more vehicles etc, and with the mirror-quest where you play as StarWolf (as someone mentioned earlier, but it's something I thought of the first time I played LW, it's just such a great idea).

It would be even better if there was an online element to go with it - not just simply online dogfighting between Arwings and Wolfen craft (or whatever), but co-ops, fights with capital ships (like the Great Fox) and so on. And even a score-based element, where it uploads your high score to a table every time you play (somewhat like PGR2 does), Downloads of new stuff (wouldn't it be great to basically add new planets to visit every now and then?).

Ah well, I can dream. :rolleyes:

"Cocky little freaks!!" :D

Farsight wrote:

think what makes it so good is it feels like an adventure, and it feels more cinematic than any other game I've played. Where most developers think this is achieved by widescreen borders, lengthy FMV/cutscenes, and complex plots, LW does it by offering up wonderful and unique/memorable set pieces within the game itself, and the cutscenes are limited to brief bookends to each level. There's always something new happening, it never drags on, even though the whole game is just varying ways of shooting things.

The dialogue is constant, but filled with enough cheesy character and flamboyant fun it never tires, and most people I know have it embedded in their brains.

Most of all it doesn't go about creating an immersive adventure by making a hugely long complex quest, each playthrough only takes maybe an hour or so, depending. But each time you can feasibly get a unique experience, take a different route, at first it's the discovery of these routes, later on it's the thrill of basically being able to customise your journey at will every time. There's no worry of leaving the game and 'forgetting' where you were, it's simply a nicely contained experience every time, just like a movie.

On top of all this of course is the basic score-attack gameplay at the core, which lets you come back to earn Medals and unlock extras, or simply beat your high score.

There is nothing in the world of gaming I'd love more than a GameCube update, following the same basic ethos and style of LW, but with stunning up to date visuals and sound, more levels, more vehicles etc, and with the mirror-quest where you play as StarWolf (as someone mentioned earlier, but it's something I thought of the first time I played LW, it's just such a great idea).

It would be even better if there was an online element to go with it - not just simply online dogfighting between Arwings and Wolfen craft (or whatever), but co-ops, fights with capital ships (like the Great Fox) and so on. And even a score-based element, where it uploads your high score to a table every time you play (somewhat like PGR2 does), Downloads of new stuff (wouldn't it be great to basically add new planets to visit every now and then?).

Ah well, I can dream. 

I agree with absolutely everything you've written B)

The online element would be awesome with this game after seeing what PGR2 has done. Although I never got that good, the scope for high scores was impressive in Lylat Wars.

The multiplayer dogfights could be fun, but I'd be interested in turning this into a coop game against the computer levels, squadron of up to four, phantasy star style! Nothing like a good coop game. Coop score attack against Nintendo designed levels, covering each others' backs, and downloadable content.

I'd buy it.

I quite liked SNES Starwing, so i picked up Lylat Wars the other day on the N64....played in for about 30 mins and didn't enjoy it at all....s'pose I'll have to give it another try sometime, but it just left me feeling cold and bored...

Lylat Wars and Goldeneye. Two N64 games I never understood why people loved so much.

Well, you can add me to this list as well. I liked StarFox on the SNES as well, but when I played StarFox 64 a few years later --I don't know why-- it just didn't show anything that might interest me. And I didn't think the music was as good as some people say it is, but that's another matter...

I was about to say how much I liked the music. That level where you're flying over green sewage water and that bird comes to help you - superb stuff.

Does anyone know if it was the same composer as OoT?

No; not at all. He wasn't even working for Nintendo at the time, actually. (See this link for further information.)

I was about to say how much I liked the music. That level where you're flying over green sewage water and that bird comes to help you - superb stuff.

Does anyone know if it was the same composer as OoT?

No; not at all. He wasn't even working for Nintendo at the time, actually. (See this link for further information.)

Eh? I read the Biography and the link, and he did both games!

"Kondo was trained as a classical musician, and this shows in his more ambitious projects, such as the soundtracks to the Zelda and StarFox series."

Video Game Soundtracks (Completed)

Super Mario Bros. (1985)

Soccer (1985)

Kung Fu (1985)

Family BASIC (1985)

The Legend of Zelda (1986)

Nazo no Murasamejoh (1986)

Ice Hockey (1988)

The Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (1988)

Super Mario USA (Super Mario Bros. 2) (1988)

Super Mario Bros 3 (1988)

Super Mario World (1990)

PilotWings (1990)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991)

Super Mario Kart (with Soyo Oka and Taro Bando) (1992)

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993)

StarFox (with Hajime Wakai) (1993)

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (with Nobuo Uematsu and Yoko Shimomura) (1996)

Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (1996)

Super Mario 64 (1996)

Mario Kart 64 (1996)

StarFox 64 (Lylat Wars) (with Hajime Wakai) (1997)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)

Super Smash Bros. (with several others) (1999)

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000)

Mario Tennis (2000)

Wave Race: Bluestorm (2001)

Star Fox Adventures (2002)

Super Mario Sunshine (2002)

Super Smash Bros. Melee (with several others) (2002)

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003)

Did you actually open your eyes when looking at that page. :rolleyes: According to that page he did the soundtrack
Eh? I read the Biography and the link, and he did both games!

I don't know what you two are talking about; as far as I know, I'm completely correct on this matter.

Oh I see. Yes, I know I could have searched myself, but sometimes I prefer asking you guys. You know, in case it starts a discussion.

No, the original Starfox music was far better than Lylat War's. LW's was quite technically impressive (for the time), but way too floaty and largely forgettable. Starwing had great tunes from beginning to end though. The fact that Nintendo put original Starfox music in SSB:M gives me hope for the new game though.

A fantastic game indeed, but ruined for me just for the fact it had no save points, or no way to resume from a certain point. It seemed to take significantly longer to go through in hard mode - which I always died on the last level - and didn't have the patience to keep replaying in it's entirety.

Loved the tank stages though :rolleyes:

Well, you can add me to this list as well. I liked StarFox on the SNES as well, but when I played StarFox 64 a few years later --I don't know why-- it just didn't show anything that might interest me. And I didn't think the music was as good as some people say it is, but that's another matter...

Hurrah.

It's not just me.

Anyone wanna form a little gang of starwuing haterz and have meetings in a treehouse or something?

Hurrah.

It's not just me.

Anyone wanna form a little gang of starwuing haterz and have meetings in a  treehouse or something?

Whoever said I like treehouses??? ;)

Noone :rolleyes:

I was just choosing the traditional headquarters. We could have a bunker or something if you prefer... :D

:o