rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
strider

Quarriors

I saw you post on Twitter the other day man, but someone else has dibs :( Really sorry dude, if he backs out you're next in line.

It's worth bearing in mind I got my second copy from these people

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WizKids-WZK-70234-Quarriors/dp/B004U5RD1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315902323&sr=8-1

It came to £42 but I haven't incurred customs so far. Saying that it can take a while to come through so I won't know for a few weeks if I'm clear.

I accidentally bumped into this in downtown Utrecht. My surprise didn't even get a chance to evoke itself as it was completely overruled by the buy-impulse.

Been playing it in a pub with a mate this afternoon and it's pretty brilliant. I love how it takes the deck-building aspects and adds a few more layers of implied control by letting the dice roll. Also, there is no 'bad' roll in a way. Even when you roll crap (as in no creatures, only quiddity) it still allows you to add dice. A subtle and maybe not even intended mechanic, but it removes the annoyance of say, a really shitty bank row and hand in Ascension.

Also, DICE. By Primus, the tactility of the game! :wub:

• Upvote 1

I accidentally bumped into this in downtown Utrecht. My surprise didn't even get a chance to evoke itself as it was completely overruled by the buy-impulse.

Been playing it in a pub with a mate this afternoon and it's pretty brilliant. I love how it takes the deck-building aspects and adds a few more layers of implied control by letting the dice roll. Also, there is no 'bad' roll in a way. Even when you roll crap (as in no creatures, only quiddity) it still allows you to add dice. A subtle and maybe not even intended mechanic, but it removes the annoyance of say, a really shitty bank row and hand in Ascension.

Also, DICE. By Primus, the tactility of the game! :wub:

Don't forget culling! I find you can't cull enough basic quiddity dice - each creature dice you buy stil has at least 1in2, 1in3 chance of providing quiddity, so after buying a few beasts the odds of rolling a hand without enough quiddity for the beasts you roll is still pretty low, and ultimately survivable beasts (those blue knights, the white ecclesiastical ones, ooze) win you the game! That's my theory after 6 games anyway..

My other realisation is that far from being an inpenetrable mess this could make a perfect 7yo+ christmas game (ymmv) - the underlying concepts are nice and simple, luck can make or break any adult's genius plan - the chance of good roll hand can wipe out any opponent no matter their hand- and the tactile pleasure of just pulling out lots of dice, makes it perfect for anyone. A lot of people are allergic to cards, minis etc but they understand a six sided die - I could explain this to my grandma :)

so, part 3: Yeah I've totally missed the boat here, but if anyone knows where I can get a copy asap (before xmas I hope!!!) please let me know, I am a cynic that has seen the light! ALL GLORY TO THE QUANOTOAD!

• Upvote 2

\o/ It's a lovely little game. It's not mega deep but doesn't need to be. It's fun just pulling pretty dice from a bag and rolling them round the table, oh and making slurping noises pretending to be a Primordial Ooze

GamesLore are reporting "restock expected October 2011" It might be worth contacting them to see how true that is.

Well it appears that the release date in Australia has been put back until November! Is the game still difficult to find back in dear old blighty? I might have to resort to ordering in the U.K. and shipping it out.

I love Quarriors. :wub:

I might have to try and get a copy in November.

Soon as I see/know of any, I'll sound the alarm and let you and the good folks here know.

If only I could paint the dice, hmmmm ^_^

Folks, I wanted to ask you a few questions- Are you still enjoying Quarriors as much as you did when you first played it? Is it one of those games that demonstrates a lot of hidden depths and strategies as you keep playing?

The reason I ask is that I really want to try it myself, but the group I play with over here (in Taiwan) played it once when I wasn't around and immediately dismissed it, which seemed completely contrary to what I'd heard from everyone here and pretty much everyone else, to be honest. I suspect it's because one of the more influential members of group had pretty much decided not to like it before he even tried it and I everyone has just went along with him.

Anyway, I guess what I really want to know is if those of you who have it, have had any problems with it, especially at the start. Or did you just love it immediately? I'm probably just going to pick up a copy myself and play it with my girlfriend and some other folks anyway, but I just wanted to see if there are any voices of dissent on here. Thanks.

Strategy goes straight out of the window when you're dealing with random dice rolls :D but there's enough strategy in there to keep it interesting. Also, there are multiple versions of each creature and spell you can buy so the combinations are quite massive.

Tell the guy that decided to hate it he's a fucking tool.

• Upvote 2

Strategy goes straight out of the window when you're dealing with random dice rolls :D but there's enough strategy in there to keep it interesting. Also, there are multiple versions of each creature and spell you can buy so the combinations are quite massive.

Tell the guy that decided to hate it he's a fucking tool.

:( I played it recently and found it really boring. It was a 5 player game so there was lots going on but it did nothing for me. Sorry, I'll let myself out.