rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
strider

Quarriors

I got Quarriors for christmas*! :wub: I know we have a thread for that sort of thing but the turkey is all eaten :)

As I have a very tolerant family I also got to play 3 fourplayer games, which were the first I'd played with the full number of players. Having four people definitely adds an extra degree of unpredictability to proceedings. The first two games went very quickly - especially the second, when someone bought two mighty wizards then managed to roll them both in one turn, a high scoring and almost impregnable duo! In fact those two games went so swiftly that it was generally agreed we would play the third to 15 points (the three player VP level).

That game however turned out to be by far the longest I'd ever played. In part because there were no uber defensive creatures, and to some extent because everyone had a handle on tactics, but mostly due to catastrophic rolling by everyone. It got to the point where everything on the board that cost 4+ had been bought** so people weren't even bothering to spend! It took over an hour for anyone to get to 12 let alone 15, so at that point we called it a day. Still an enjoyable game but I did have to stress to everyone that it was an atypical experience. :lol:

Anyway I am starting to see the limitations of the game - it is a little too random, and the chances of you drawing/rolling a decent combo are pretty low, so consequently you are better off simply investing in the most expensive thing you can afford as it's more likely to survive on it's own. I didn't win any of those games -but came second/joint second in all three- which is vaguely telling. Also although a generally nice package some of the dice printing is pretty slipshod. But those aside I still rate it pretty highly and everyone else (little-to-non game players) enjoyed it, and I'm keen to try out the expansions.

*This is the result of a desperate last minute call from the gf who couldn't find anything decent to buy me, Quarriors popped into my head in a "oh that'd be quite nice to have" kinda way, so I texted her the contact details of two stockists - Orc's Nest and Dark Sphere. She called Dark Sphere and reserved a copy then - bless her little socks - went to Orc's Nest. Whereupon she got into an ugly row with them for a) denying said phonecall ever happened and b) putting up the price between call and collection! Knowing her temper I think I'm lucky I got a copy at all :D

**[slightly more technical bit for other players] Given I was playing with beginners I selected the deck before each game, to avoid overcomplicated rules (oozes) and provide a bit of variety between games. For this one I discovered there is a relatively cheap spell that if rolled lets you capture more than one Quarry in a turn - one of the chief frustrations being unspent (wasted) quiddity almost every turn. So this spell could have contributed to the buying frenzy... but at the same time it brought more mid level creatures into the game, as portal+goblin or spell+ghost looked an attractive alternative to that mighty witching hag (or whatever). Again the improbability of you rolling a killer combo still favours the single monster but I think this spell helped somewhat, and if I play with a hand picked deck again it's one I'll choose.

• Upvote 2

Quarmageddon details

- 6 new Creatures and 2 new Spells (that’s 26 new Cards and 40 new Custom Dice for those of you who are counting)

- A new updated rulebook including 2 new optional rules that add layers of strategy to the game (see it now at the WizKids Games Quarmageddon page)

- A box insert that will store the components for this expansion, the Quarriors! Base Set, and the Rise of the Demons expansion.

More details and previews here

http://www.dicetowernews.com/quarmageddon-preview-a-dice-tower-news-exclusive/

I was interested in these new optional rules, then realised that DiceTower had spoilered them and put them in that article, in full! They are pretty basic! I was expecting something more akin to a whole new way of playing.

Played our first game of this last night however. We played it very wrong. After scoring, we weren't moving creatures from our ready areas back into or used piles so effectively, the first person to get a decent creature up won the game in about 5 rounds. We'll fix that tonight though.

I have to say, the random factor in Quarriors actually makes it better than Dominion for me. The problem with Dominion is that it's not fun if the opposition player can't win. I've played it a dozen times with my wife, and I won a dozen times.

Now, my wife beats me constantly at pretty much every game under the sun, so it was nice. But after winning twelve times in a row it's just not fun. If someone doesn't get the need to balance their deck to give them the best probability distribution over the cards (and an understanding of chaining) then they're never going to win. But with Quarriors, they will win the odd game though lose the war..

I have to say, the random factor in Quarriors actually makes it better than Dominion for me. The problem with Dominion is that it's not fun if the opposition player can't win. I've played it a dozen times with my wife, and I won a dozen times.

Now, my wife beats me constantly at pretty much every game under the sun, so it was nice. But after winning twelve times in a row it's just not fun. If someone doesn't get the need to balance their deck to give them the best probability distribution over the cards (and an understanding of chaining) then they're never going to win. But with Quarriors, they will win the odd game though lose the war..

My wife's pretty good at a lot of board games and gives me a food run for my money in them. I got Quarriors to level the playing field for our 8yr old daughter and last night everyone won a game. We all had a lot of fun too.

Hmmm... So basically I need to watch my back next time we play... ;)

Quarrior Questions:

The Questing Wizard has a double Burst ability, one of which adds +1 to his defense. How come they didn't just put 9 defense on the face and not bother with the +1 as it only affects that face anyway.

Perhaps I totally misunderstood the Burst rules!?!

Do you start on 1 Glory point or are the tokens only added to the board upon scoring the first point?

Culling allows a player to get rid of Quiddity dice and place them on Quiddity card right?

I'm just doing a quick rule check playthrough by myself and I'm having a lot of fun. Can't wait to play the game for real.

So, yesterday I went into Sheffield to buy this. I tried Wargames Emporium, who "will have it in later in the week". Right. I then went to Patriot Games who were having the delivery about 3pm, and that's pretty much all I got out of the belligerant, useless cunt behind the counter (for those that know not Jim or Justin). I then messaged Chimera in Beeston, Nottingham on Facebook early evening yesterday but haven't heard back yet. I could order it from Amazon via IGUK but that says 3-5 working days.

How hard, seriously, how hard does it fucking have to be to be able to walk into a fucking shop to buy something when it's released? It's not like Wargames Emporium and Patriot Games are shit shops, my cup really does runneth over in Sheff but fuck me, I just want to buy the fucking expansion.

Agreed. There's nothing *wrong* with the corruption one, but by its design it's a negative experience - filling your bag with dice that will sometimes roll a 0 and generally revolving around sabotaging your opponent's bag rather than improving the quality of your bag. Quarmageddon is more in line with the design of the original game, and also gives you a sweet storage box to keep all the dice in for easy access.

• Upvote 1