rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
New York Mikey

Boardgame Meetups

I don't much frequent the gaming unplugged folder (and should do more often!). But I thought I'd mention the great time I've been having with my local board game meetup.

The one I'm rocking up to in Melbourne currently (https://www.facebook.com/CafeGames) is a once a month laid back board gaming in the pub thing, with up to 100 or so people each time.

Anyway, I found it via meetup.com, and have been thoroughly enjoying playing a few games of a saturday afternoon. Highlights include being able to have a monthly game of werewolves/mafia, with 20 people round the circle to start with. Learning a boatload of new games. Buying a boatload of new games after enjoying them. And being able to choose to drink tea all day instead of beer if so inclined without any less fun!

Anyway, not sure if that was a motivational "get out there and play more games" post or just a tribute to my local type post, but hey, I felt the need to share the board game love!

Board game clubs are good.

Don't be scared.

Most of the people that attend the one I go to are surprisingly normal-ish.

It does really help keep the embers of interest going. If it wasn't for a board game club I'd probably never play anything... just amassing boxes of lovely stuff never to be exposed to the air*

*like many of you know you do

Mentioned a few times that I go to a wargames club once a week (as opposed to board game club). Pretty nerve-wracking to start with, but its full of genuinely welcoming and nice people. I only had a small army to start and people were keen to offer parts of their army/cards/rulebooks/dice so I could get up and running, and this was after only going one week!

:coffee:

I'm going to my first board game meetup in Glasgow on Sunday. Really looking forward to it. I think there's going to be Caracassonne and Pandemic as well as (I believe) some quicker games. I did offer to being my beloved Arkham Horror but some guys coughed apologetically and mentioned the meetup would probably only last five or six hours. :)

• Upvote 1

For those who are just getting around to finding or attending their first meetup, congrats, and I hope you enjoy it! Do report back and tell us how you get on.

I discovered Pandemic at the local club myself - and went out and bought a copy that evening. I'm not even close to reaching the stage where I know the majority of the games I end up playing as yet, so for me a typical trip involves anything from 4-6 games, of which 4 are probably new.

Still, it's all about the werewolves. :sherlock:

Had our meet last night. I was forced to play Acquire. Wow. It's like someone looked at Monopoly and decided that wasn't boring enough.

I can't believe so many people like it. It took ages for any hotel mergers for us but when one did happen then anyone without the shares was out of the game unable to get back into it.

• Upvote 1

Hijacking this thread just to describe club fun!!!

Last night I was playing Galaxy Truckers. It was quite fun, but I found it unbalanced and unfair. Disclaimer: I also found myself in last place by quite a lot.

It was fun building up your ship, picking up tiles of ship components randomly cobbling together a craft faster than the other people at the table. I usually found myself last trying to build an awesome ship when a serviceable one would do. The game really does favour who finishes first as the series of events occurs to players in finishing order. You get placed in position on a circular track, although it's position that matters not progression along the track. It gets you ahead of in the order of events occurring to players.

Events occur from a randomised pack of cards. Usually they are to take on cargo, or finding a station to ransack, but you get placed back on the board for doing so. Quite a few of the cards are either pirates or asteroids pummelling your ship. If you don't have enough lasers and shields you get pummelled (like I did in the last round losing more than half my ship). Or just a good old fashioned progress up the board by how many engines you have on your ship. The game has three rounds with larger ships and more difficult cards to keep it interesting.

I really screwed myself over with rushing on the last round and because you can't move tiles around once you'd placed them I'd actually cut myself off from half the board because the components didn't have any connectors :(

As I say, it was all good fun. Just a bit unbalanced. Probably not one I'd pick up but I'd happily play it again.

Oh yeah, and other tables were playing Power Grid and Princes of Florance.

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

Well, it only took a year and a month, but a friend of a friend of a friend(!) told me about one of the local gaming clubs - FANG - having a meetup on Thursdays in Nottingham. Even better, they meet up in a pub 15 minutes walk from my flat.

So, what did I do this night? I went along. My first 3+ player games in years, and it was awesome. A nice, friendly group, and the added benefit of going along on the same day as a couple of other new people joined, so I didn't feel too much the outsider. Really enjoyable, even if all the games were not really my genre of choice (three card games got played by the group I was in before I left - Coup, that game with the long name where you play battling wizards who form spells out of up to three cards, and Bang!, which I had last played YEARS ago), I had a fun time. Will definitely be returning soon (alas, apparently some yucky annual event for couples of some description occurs next Thursday...)

So, yes. Gaming clubs. Good stuff.

• Upvote 2