IGNORED

Bits in games that didn't exist...

Droo

So, I have a number of these stories.

On the run up to Sonic 2 coming out. A boy up my road swore blind that if you waited long enough before starting a game on Sonic 1, sonic's head would turn into Tails and you could play as him.

In mortal kombat 1, another boy swore that you could turn the Dragon in the middle into another, secret character - weirdly, this would become true in a later MK (smoke, in the middle).

There are others, but I forget them now. Anyone else remember any tall tails?

In the eyes of an old friend of mine I suppose I was 'that kid' on one occasion.

I remember loading up the Amiga version of Wizkid one day, only to be greeted with a scrawled message displaying the words "Happy birthday".

When he came over I told him, but no matter how many times we tried re-loading it wouldn't appear. Needless to say, he didn't believe me.

Years later, armed with the power of Google, I discover that it only appears one in x number of times.

Curse you Sensible Software!

Have just thought of another...

Back around 1984/1985 a school friend and I were chatting about the Spectrum classic Pyjamarama.

He told me the title music was 'Popcorn', and proceeded to sing the tune. I was slightly cheesed off, as I 'knew' this to be a lie, and hummed what I thought to be the 'proper' tune.

Years later I discover that the game was originally released with the 'Popcorn' title track before a non copyright infringing title tune appeared on subsequent releases.

Also:

- 'Crusoe Island', which was rumoured to be in the original Jetset Willy but wasn't

- The trailer in Lunar Jetman

In the eyes of an old friend of mine I suppose I was 'that kid' on one occasion.

I remember loading up the Amiga version of Wizkid one day, only to be greeted with a scrawled message displaying the words "Happy birthday".

When he came over I told him, but no matter how many times we tried re-loading it wouldn't appear. Needless to say, he didn't believe me.

Years later, armed with the power of Google, I discover that it only appears one in x number of times.

Curse you Sensible Software!

Just been on an internet goose chase to see this.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=149095&postcount=12

Pictures of it there! Enjoy :)

And the amount of stuff people claimed to have done in FF7 was phenomenal.

Most obviously reviving Aeris...

Sheng Long and Nude Raider also sprang to mind when I saw this thread. I know that Sheng Long was a mistranslation (which I think was fixed in the Game Boy release of SFII) but it could be argued that Gouken's character was inspired by the confusion over Sheng Long. I don't think I ever owned a Tomb Raider game, but even before the internet became more accessible there were always Nude Raider hoaxes that were either written by magazine staff or sent in by readers. Of course these days you get people like CD Projekt sticking softcore fuckery in The Witcher, but back then some low-poly nudity was pretty sacred stuff...

Most obviously reviving Aeris...

Sheng Long and Nude Raider also sprang to mind when I saw this thread. I know that Sheng Long was a mistranslation (which I think was fixed in the Game Boy release of SFII) but it could be argued that Gouken's character was inspired by the confusion over Sheng Long. I don't think I ever owned a Tomb Raider game, but even before the internet became more accessible there were always Nude Raider hoaxes that were either written by magazine staff or sent in by readers. Of course these days you get people like CD Projekt sticking softcore fuckery in The Witcher, but back then some low-poly nudity was pretty sacred stuff...

What was the deal about the mistranslation of Sheng Long?? What was it supposed to mean? Please elaborate.

Going waaaaay back, but I knew someone that swore blind he'd seen the space hermits and generation ships in BBC Elite.

The other really common source for fictional claims was jet set willy. Being picked up from the beach by a boat or a rocket from the roof are two that ring a bell.

What was the deal about the mistranslation of Sheng Long?? What was it supposed to mean? Please elaborate.

From what I understand, the intended win quote would have been something like "you must overcome my dragon punch to stand a chance!" but the final quote mistranslated this, hence the Sheng Long. I'm not sure how it got in there, but as I said there's a version for the Game Boy that has the right quote...

rllmuk_showtopic251095.jpg

Although everyone assumed it was a character, and the rumour was that Sheng Long was Ryu's mentor/sensei/whatever, which is why people say that Gouken is the real Sheng Long (or at least he would be if Sheng Long was a character in the first place...)

OK, this is a bit convoluted so bear with me.

Japanese is one of those languages where context is really vital to translate terms into English. If you don't have the correct context, it can be very easy to mistranslate words. I'm not too clued up on Chinese but as the writing systems of Japan and China are interrelated, I assume it's the same, to a greater or lesser degree.

When Street Fighter II was initially released in the West, in the post-match "smack talk" bit after each fight, Ryu would say "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!". What he was actually supposed to say was "You must defeat my dragon punch to stand a chance!"

This was a mistranslation, because the characters for Ryu's dragon punch ("Rising Dragon Fist") could also, out of context, be translated as "Shenlong", which is the name of a powerful dragon from Chinese mythology; this is the same mythological character that forms the basis for "The Dragon" in DragonballZ.

In the West, people were wondering who or what "Sheng Long was", so a prominent American games mag (maybe it was GameFan?) did an April Fool's where they produced forged screenshots of "Sheng Long" in the game, who was supposed to be Ryu/Ken's master, and said a few things about him, like he was stronger than Zangief, but faster than Vega. The pictures were small but consequently quite convincing.

A kid at school told me he'd put Kylie Minogue's debut album in his spectrum and it loaded a platform game in which you controlled Kylie and music notes danced on screen to the music.

Sadly for him I was already a nerd at that time and understood how the spectrum read the data from the cassette. The only artist I know of that could produce the right tones to speak to a spectrum is Bjork.

OK, this is a bit convoluted so bear with me.

Japanese is one of those languages where context is really vital to translate terms into English. If you don't have the correct context, it can be very easy to mistranslate words. I'm not too clued up on Chinese but as the writing systems of Japan and China are interrelated, I assume it's the same, to a greater or lesser degree.

When Street Fighter II was initially released in the West, in the post-match "smack talk" bit after each fight, Ryu would say "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!". What he was actually supposed to say was "You must defeat my dragon punch to stand a chance!"

This was a mistranslation, because the characters for Ryu's dragon punch ("Rising Dragon Fist") could also, out of context, be translated as "Shenlong", which is the name of a powerful dragon from Chinese mythology; this is the same mythological character that forms the basis for "The Dragon" in DragonballZ.

In the West, people were wondering who or what "Sheng Long was", so a prominent American games mag (maybe it was GameFan?) did an April Fool's where they produced forged screenshots of "Sheng Long" in the game, who was supposed to be Ryu/Ken's master, and said a few things about him, like he was stronger than Zangief, but faster than Vega. The pictures were small but consequently quite convincing.

It was EGM-- I actually have 2 copies of that mag!

The worst ones of these were ones that were "confirmed" by later games.

I'm sure everyone knew a kid that swore blindly that you could become "Hyper Sonic" when Sonic 2 was out - then when Sonic and Knuckles 3 came out, they were all "You see! YOU SEE??". :rolleyes:

Golden Axe is 2 player only. So your imagination must have been working overtime there. 8)

Nah, I didn't say it - someone said it to me.

I seem to remember something about handcuffs in street fighter 2

That's the one I was going to post before.

Having seen the video below now, I see there was some truth to it. My friend told me he had seen it happen though, and he said you actually saw the handcuffs, so he was blatantly lying about it - he'd probably just heard the rumour and embellished it a bit.

I distinctly remember some of these with regards to mk2 where people said you could perform a second area fatality on the dead pool level with the green water and have the opponent knocked into the hanging chains above only to get hung from them. Similarly there were mentions of fatalities on the trees level with the faces by knocking your opponent into their mouth.

Another one was to do with animalities. This all eventually came from the mk2 bible which was created to tell you everything, however, they added some fake screenshots near the very back of the book. I remember seeing one where they added a cartoon panda or something, maybe a polarbear, as an animality. Later in mk3 that became an actual real feature.