Lego Heroica

My nephew has Ramses Pyramid and another one where the first player to get their knight to the top of the castle gets to ride off on a dragon. I found both pretty poor as games so when I saw Heroica on the shelf the other day I didn't give it a glance -I did get this :) . You're right though they have potential! That said in the six collectors series of minifigs (incidentally, do the smaller games ones have a name? Nanofigs?) and umpteen generations of castle lego they've probably covered the staples of Heroquest by now?

My nephew has Ramses Pyramid and another one where the first player to get their knight to the top of the castle gets to ride off on a dragon. I found both pretty poor as games so when I saw Heroica on the shelf the other day I didn't give it a glance -I did get this :) . You're right though they have potential! That said in the six collectors series of minifigs (incidentally, do the smaller games ones have a name? Nanofigs?) and umpteen generations of castle lego they've probably covered the staples of Heroquest by now?

You'd think. It's still a bit weird they went with the 'nanofigs', but I guess it quite literally keeps the costs down. Lego is expensive enough as it is. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yes! The worst part is that I've been eyeing a lot of the other Lego Games just to get more nanofigs and 'smaller' materials.

Still trying some stuff out with the combat rules, I've got five dice, but I'm torn between different rules or different config dice. Needs some more testing I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Weird, it looks very...drab and empty in comparison.

I've got the full set of Heroica now. It's incredibly simple, as said, but that works perfectly for my lad. He gets it. I read something from one of the designers/Lego workers where they said it's a dungeon crawler designed for 8-12 year olds that has massive gaps in the ruleset purposefully for modding.

All stuck together it's not quite as big or adventurous as I'd have liked, but it is pretty sweet. Having said that, there are 5 new locations on the map on their website hinting maybe another 5 sets are in the making or almost with us. Day 1 purchase from me.

The carry case is completely redundant and won't fit all the existing pieces in it though. Avoid - they do all pack down into the single Fortaan box though.

Also, crowbars for levering off pieces stuck together? Kids are so pampered these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Weird, it looks very...drab and empty in comparison.

I've got the full set of Heroica now. It's incredibly simple, as said, but that works perfectly for my lad. He gets it. I read something from one of the designers/Lego workers where they said it's a dungeon crawler designed for 8-12 year olds that has massive gaps in the ruleset purposefully for modding.

All stuck together it's not quite as big or adventurous as I'd have liked, but it is pretty sweet. Having said that, there are 5 new locations on the map on their website hinting maybe another 5 sets are in the making or almost with us. Day 1 purchase from me.

The carry case is completely redundant and won't fit all the existing pieces in it though. Avoid - they do all pack down into the single Fortaan box though.

Also, crowbars for levering off pieces stuck together? Kids are so pampered these days.

Never had one of these as a kid?

missing-lego-brick-6007-brick-seperator-tool-old-dkgray-377-p.jpg

How your hands must've bled...

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anybody played the Hoth game yet? It's well brilliant. I played it at the Nordic Game Jam last week with some red wine and the chap who made it. It's basically a two-player game where each player has the same four units but lined up in opposite order, and the object is to get one of your units into your enemy's base. The things I like about it are that it is as tactical as you want to make it. There is a lot to think about if you want to, but at the same time it's so balanced that it's fine not to. For example, one of the key features is that Darth Vader/Luke Skywalker each have a one in six chance of a one-hit kill. So I was playing this guy who wanted to give up after I'd whittled him down to one unit, but I persuaded him to keep playing and he basically felled my last AT-AT with his Luke at the last possible moment (if he hadn't I would have been through on his base the next turn). Fantastic stuff.

(If I had more time I'd describe it in much better detail.)

• Upvote 1

It's been released. Doesn't seem to be anywhere obvious, but it's available to reserve in Argos. I've put a reservation for one in at my local store while I try and find a bit more out about it.

£25!! Fucking hell. Given how sparse it looks for parts in comparison to, say, Heroica there's a hell of a premium on that for having Star Wars bits.

It's the same as the Hogwart's game as well, which again had a lot more stuff in it. For some reason (I've not bought any Lego for about 20 years and I don't like Harry Potter...) I got the Hogwarts one for my birthday and I've never got around to trying it. I should.

Probably.

Knowing my love of Lego and board games, my wife (the greatest of all wives) bought me the Fortaan set today after she spotted me eyeing it up in a local toy shop. This was pretty sweet of her since I'm not really due any extra points for good behaviour or anything at the moment. I reckon it'll be a fun little blast for the two of us every now and again!

Tonight's plan is bolognese with jacket spud, wine, Heroica, Carcassonne then Captain America. Should be a pretty sweet evening! I'll post up my thoughts on Heroica tomorrow, but I can already tell you that just from looking at the pictures on the box, I'm going to dig it.