rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Sarge

The Expendables 3 - Stallone confirms PG-13 rating

You know what it's like. You're a producer sitting on two successful films in a series and the studio are demanding the second sequel for about 18 months to cement the IP as a franchise. In the sequel you upped the ante as much as the budget would allow, bringing in Schwarzenegger, multiple aliens, Joe Pesci, Steven Berkoff, and a liquid metal cyborg. There's no way your usual audience of gawping trailer trash, chavs, train drivers, hipsters and the mentally bankrupt are going to flock to the cinema to watch the same thing again - Not when they could just torrent it.

You're going to have to up the ante somehow. Something immense. Something they will remember for decades to come.

But then, like a bullet out of Dirty Harry's gun, it hits you. Floored, quivering, you scramble for the phone to your casting director. "Get me", you splutter. "Get me Grammer!"

• Upvote 1

I can imagine the trailer voiceover for Expendables 4 growling the names Hyde Pierce, Schwimmer, Danson, Lithgow, and Muniz.

• Upvote 1

I can imagine the trailer voiceover for Expendables 4 growling the names Hyde Pierce, Schwimmer, Danson, Lithgow, and Muniz.

Already better than the first two films.

I just want to see Snipes back up on the big screen - then someone will think "Let's make another Blade movie, that's just about Blade going round and killing motherfucking vampires".

And then New Jack City 2.

Lithgow is awesome in Ricochet. The parole sequence is fantastic.

• Upvote 1

Quite a modest teaser trailer for such a extravagant series.

Personally, Expendables 2 made the original, a mixed experience at best into something approaching flipping Shakespeare. I don’t see how a third outing and all those who sail with her is going to get anything but pelters honestly. There are plenty of older actors out there who still give each role their best but the expendables series seems adept in rounding up all those who just don't give one solitary shit any more. The premise of seeing everyones favourite action stars together to shoot bad guys and invoke the care free times of yesteryear is an awesome one but if nothing else The Expendables serve to highlight just how well the earlier films they're trying so desperately to emulate were made.

Why be an ageing and famous movie star if you’re phoning in every performance you give? To paraphrase Redletter Medias Mike Stoklasa for a sec, “what do you need more money for? Buying a more expensive head stone?” Ben Kingsley for example in IronMan 3 was brilliant fun, puts a big smile on my face every time I watch it. A true testament to making the most of a relatively throwaway role, but if Fords latest output is anything to go by, last seen bored off his nut in Endersgame, his appearance in this is just going to serve as further damage to his reputation.

These films bring out the cynic in me and serve to make me question why I liked these actors in the first place. It turns into a bunch of whoring pensioners after a while and just makes me sad.

• Upvote 2

The only person who looked genuinely fed up in the first two was Bruce Willis who has thankfully smirked the fuck out of the 3rd installment. Dolph, Arnold, Van Damme and the Stath all looked like they were having a laugh in the last one. Sly takes it all a bit too seriously but I don't think it's fair to lump them all in the 'here for the pay check, just don't give a fuck' category.

I just want to see Snipes back up on the big screen - then someone will think "Let's make another Blade movie, that's just about Blade going round and killing motherfucking vampires".

Please, no. He was so disinterested and visibly annoyed by having to interact with his co-stars in Blade: Trinity. Understandable to some degree when you have to talk to a smug Ryan Reynolds, but Snipe would only revisit the character for a pay-cheque and the result wouldn't be good.

Aye, he was famously pissed off with the whole production thanks to the way it was switched from a big-budget sequel to a franchise he had control over to a cheaply-made exercise in product placement that he had no say in. His response to the way the franchise was handled is understandable.

Well the rights for Blade are back with Marvel now so he'd probably be more on board now. Does Blade ever interact with other marvel characters?

I thought the second was rubbish. A number of reasons but what one of them is certainly that Van Damme is given very, very little to do. Meh.

Well the rights for Blade are back with Marvel now so he'd probably be more on board now. Does Blade ever interact with other marvel characters?

YESSSSSSSSSSS

I thought the second was rubbish. A number of reasons but what one of them is certainly that Van Damme is given very, very little to do. Meh.

The film was ok but I agree that it could have been improved massively with more JCVD.

Yeah, considering he was the best thing in it, they really underused him. Less (or rather NO Chuck Norris) and more JCVD would have been better. Also the final fight should have lasted longer.

Having watched Riddick last night, I'd love a Blade reboot done in a similar style. Stripped back, no nonsense Wesley Snipes fucking shit up action.

• Upvote 1