IGNORED

The Expendables 3 - Stallone confirms PG-13 rating

The Sarge

agree with most of what's been said before.

the whole point of the Expendables series is to see all your fave old 80s & 90s action movie stars being old men but still baddas - who thought it was a good idea to rip all of them out the entire middle of the film and give us a load of young nobodies (maybe they are somebody but I didn't recognise any of the blokes).

the CGI was truly hideous - how can HBO produce an entire series of Game of Thrones for $60-70m yet a film with a huge budget like this looks so poor (star salaries is my guess, they had no budget left for CGI here).

Ronda Rousey was great in the action scenes but made me cringe whenever she was actually talking/scowling (her lines with Sly in the van before a mission in particular being awful, the ones about family.

All the old boys still know how to deliver, Rocky, Riggs, Dutch, Solo, Frasier, Blade, Drago, Snatch all deliver their rubbish dialog and action with aplom, and really thats all I want from an Expendables film, just a shame I lost an hour of it along the line in this one.

Antonio banderas was the highlight, even when I thought his bit was just a tiny cameo.

For a second I did think they might try something interesting with mel Gibson, and the expendables actually being just as bad as him. But no. Their murder good, everybody else's bad.

This isn't as bad as I had feared, and gets enjoyably daft at the end. As everyone else has said though, not sure why so much time was spent on the newspendables, none of them have any charisma whatsoever, looked like generic Create-A-Wrestlers in a WWE game. The cg was SyFy-channel-esque. Ronda Rousey is a terrible actress, doesn't have any screen presence, and her fight scenes didn't look very good. Gina Carano >>>>>>> her when it comes to action hero potential.

What was with the Mass Effect armour in the van?

Still, Gibson is good and the action is enjoyable in parts. 2/5.

Rather than using Rousey (who, by all accounts, can't act for shit) they should have gone with the old timer thang using Rothrock (who, by all accounts, can't act for shit).

I had zero interest in Exp3, I was pretty much bored to death with 1 and 2 though I did enjoy Snatch's performance (Rocky's was dire in both looking more like his mum).

After reading the comments since the leak of Exp3 I feel compelled to watch it just to see how utter shit it is.

Totally agree with the madness of a PG13. It should be Rambo violent as fuck, with a semi decent plot and A list veterans. How could you fuck that up. It's a no brainer. :mellow:

Rather than using Rousey (who, by all accounts, can't act for shit) they should have gone with the old timer thang using Rothrock (who, by all accounts, can't act for shit).

I had zero interest in Exp3, I was pretty much bored to death with 1 and 2 though I did enjoy Snatch's performance (Rocky's was dire in both looking more like his mum).

After reading the comments since the leak of Exp3 I feel compelled to watch it just to see how utter shit it is.

Totally agree with the madness of a PG13. It should be Rambo violent as fuck, with a semi decent plot and A list veterans. How could you fuck that up. It's a no brainer. :mellow:

Thing is, it isn't bad enough to watch to see how shit it is. It's just a pretty boring straight-to-DVD action film with some decent bits (anything involving Snipes). That got released in cinemas.

Someone called me 40mins in… its so bad I didn't even bother to pause it. :quote:

Gibson, Snipes and Arnie were the best things about it.. but dear god that parachute CGI and the cringefest that was the trials bike Mc Fuckery shoehorned in. :facepalm:

Mega lulz at Snipes' "Tax Evasion" quote at the start and Arnie with his "Get to tha choppaaaaaaaah" combo. But christ the CGI really was Channel 5 movie/ Sci Fi Channel quality.

Noticed that half the time there was gunfire there was no brass being ejected. Magic guns!

Worth watching just to say "I was there" :mellow:

Should have used Bridget Nielsen ;) Actually, instead of using a bunch of unknown useless actors, they could have gone for an all female team, including Nielsen, Lucy Lawless, Sigourney Weaver.....I'm struggling to think of others now.

Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez.

Despite how shit she is as an 'actress' I've always had a soft spot for her, or as my dad calls her Cynthia Rothrotten. I especially thought she was great when her martial arts were used properly by Sammo Hung in the few HK films she appeared in years ago.

Plus shes in the best fight scene ever...

Has anyone seen this at the cinema and then watched the leaked version? Where there any differences? (to be honest, I imagine for most people, one viewing is enough).

I expect it'll make about $25M for the weekend, the studio will say it should have made $40M, and will blame it on the leak. (It was never going to open to $40M).

Well this totally bombed in the US. This is what happens when you compromise to cater for everyone, yet satisfy no one at the same time.

No kids want to see you Sly and thinking you can branch out the Expendables into mini movies like the Marvel films is typical Sly arrogance, the whole buzz of these movies was seeing them all in the same film in the first place.

I'm sure we'll now go back to humble Sly who will churn out something worthy again before heading straight back into the cycle of not giving a fuck what the fans want again not long after.

It's by no means great, it's only borderline good but this is my favourite of the three because it was at least enjoyable. I found the first two disappointing, never really delivering on the concept but this one finally felt like it was getting somewhere. It was fun and silly, the previous ones took themselves far too seriously. This time, everyone expect Stallone, who stills plays it so earnestly, seems to be in on the joke. Snipes, Banderas and Gibson are fantastic and I say that as someone who has never been a huge fan of Gibson.

I didn't mind the shoddy effects so much as this one felt like it had genuine camaraderie, something the previous attempted but failed at with really forced, stilted dialogue. So it's a real shame that as soon as they start playing off each other, they are left offscreen to introduce a bunch of new and largely flavourless faces. Trim the cast so that the remaining characters are more than extended cameos and this could've been great.

I really didn't mind the PG-13 action either. It added to the whole Saturday afternoon vibe. An unrated version is inevitable come the home release so it'll be interesting to see if more blood n guts / cursing does add anything.

I wonder how much the leak affected it, not in terms of piracy but poor word of mouth? I assume there were people who planned to see it, (but not download it) who didn't go because of reports from friends.

I wonder too about that PG13. Who thought that was a good idea? It never made any sense to me. Kids weren't suddenly going to flock because it was pg13 - they would identify with almost no one in the movie. Those who knew who these guys are or were, don't want to see a watered down flick that displaces most of the people they want to see, for the majority of its runtime.

So you're back round to the leak, on some level, doing more damage to the word of mouth than people actually downloading and watching it.

I wonder how much the leak affected it, not in terms of piracy but poor word of mouth? I assume there were people who planned to see it, (but not download it) who didn't go because of reports from friends.

I wonder too about that PG13. Who thought that was a good idea? It never made any sense to me. Kids weren't suddenly going to flock because it was pg13 - they would identify with almost no one in the movie. Those who knew who these guys are or were, don't want to see a watered down flick that displaces most of the people they want to see, for the majority of its runtime.

So you're back round to the leak, on some level, doing more damage to the word of mouth than people actually downloading and watching it.

It's like they don't seem to understand that a 15, or even an 18 at a push, would be great positive publicity. It would say in a two-digit number this is a proper action film just like you remember from the 80s and 90s, not that modern shite.

It would be interesting to see how a 12A/PG13 rating affected the viewing figures and whether a higher rating would have brought in more of the target audience.

So many big action films over the last decade have been 12A, and every time people go "what, 12A? Fuck that". Yet it must be working because they keep doing it. Either that or they just can't stop for fear it'll shrink the audience.

Ultimately it's more about bums on seats rather than the quality of the audience to the studios, so using a rating as part of the PR pull isn't going to be happening any time soon.