Mario Tennis 3DS

I am thrilled at this news!

Did anybody play the Wii controlled version of Power Tennis? I played it for 20 mins and gave up. Perhaps I was missing out on a truly great experience by not persevering. It justseemed to me to be a huge mistake, replacing the smoothest tennis controls out there with the shonkiest attempt at motion control, strokes relying on pot luck more than skill.

So, to have it back on a button system like the 3DS is great news.

To nerdy fans like myself: which version did you prefer, 64 or the Cube (taking away the silly power moves themselves of course)?

For me, although the Cube version looked a lot better, and had virtually the same 2 button control system, I prefered the gameplay of the 64 version. The ball in the Cube version seems to stay very low above the net, and the whole thing feels just a BIT too smooth. It is difficult to explain, but the gameplay just feels slightly less dynamic and more samey. That said, it is still a joy to play and you can still have thrilling, well constructed points.

The 2 button shot system has never been bettered, in my opinion. The Z-cancel button on the 64 was genius for those too-early-power shots. The fact you could tap A once and leave it till the VERY last split second to decide on what you are going to play (lob, drop, hard topspin, slower but more angled topspin etc) meant that it was not just a bash bash bash tennis game, but you could actually try to outhink your rival too.

I pray for online. The game is PERFECT for it. Easy to get into for beginners but with a deep enough shot system for better players to play more tactical matches.

The role play element of the GB versions would be nice, but if it has the tried and tested gameplay of the home console versions done well, then I wont mind its absence.

Streetpass would be good for....dunno yet.....custom made raquet swaps perhaps, where you can design raquets that really do change the way the ball is struck......although maybe that would negate the already different styles each character has (another great thing about the games, all the characters have such different styles and strengths)

And the 3D? I have no idea if it will improve or change anything but I lok forward to seeing it in action, particularly from a low angle.

Which reminds me, why do tennis games seem stingier than ever with the amount of camera angles you can use. I remember Smash Court Tennis 1 on PS2, it was crazy all the different angles you could choose from. I would settle for an option that allows you to set the camera as low or as high as you want, and be able to change it on the fly, like Mario Sunshine. Would that be technically difficult?

Anyway, hopefully there are others interested in this 3DS development!

The Z-cancel button on the 64 was genius for those too-early-power shots.

Yep that was cool! The sinister music + camera close up on critical points on serve where cool too! For the cube i liked the expert controls tapping the R button to do a dive (no manual dives you had to tap R to do it iirc) but N64 was my favourite :)

Im glad its Camelot back on this as well :)

Hmm, I preferred the RPG ones on the GBC and GBA. They just seem like the best of both worlds and offered a lot more gameplay imo. Perfectly suited to a handheld.

This just looks like a port of the Cube one. Great for multiplayer, not much else.

No RPG elements no sale for me.

Ha, I love your enthusiasm Vinegar...tits.

Anyway, yeah pretty stoked to play some Mario Tennis again. Loved it on 64, never played it on the Cube. Or was it the other way around? Regardless, call me scotty, colour me excited and fuck me sideways this is going to be smashing! ...on the courtlololololol.

• 7 months later...

So some interesting news came out for this today.

Apparently you'll have to scan QR codes to unlock new characters. That could be... interesting. Or really annoying.

Looking forward to it though!

So some interesting news came out for this today.

Apparently you'll have to scan QR codes to unlock new characters. That could be... interesting. Or really annoying.

Looking forward to it though!

I always like this idea, and think about how great it would be hunting around town for posters and in magazines and stuff to collect pokemans or something, then I remember that geeks and the internet exist and there'd be pages of complete codes online within weeks, rendering all the fun dead.

I'm quite interested in this and I'll likely get it as I played the N64 version until my thumb ached, but I'm more interested in there maybe a Mario Golf £DS, as I'd rather play Tennis as multiplayer, andGolf is perfect for the bus. Also I'm a little sore about being unable to justify the cost of a vita for the untouchably good Everycunt's Golf. I'd hope that any new Mario Golf game was gloser to the N64 version than the gamecube one, though I wouldn't say no to the GBA version's RPG mode.

I'd love a new Mario Golf game as well. I wonder if Nintendo/Camelot will judge the success of Tennis for the possibility of a Golf...

And Toadstool Tour was/is the best golf game I've ever played bar none. I will hear no bad word about it!

I remember getting Ace Golf to tide me over until Toadstool Tour, having played Mario Golf on the N64 alongside our Goldeneye/WCW vs NWO sessions for years and then the release date of Toadstool Tour came and went and we just didn't stop playing Ace Golf. It's much better.

I can't even remember specifically why I don't rate the gamecube Mario Golf actually. Those damn boos? There must be more reason than that.

I was mainly disappointed by the lack of the RPG mode as in the GBA one, like you mentioned. The whole progression and little tests you did in that is still one of the best (if not the best IMHO) 'campaign' type things in any golf game and generally better in structure and feel of becoming better in regards to beating the pro's etc than in any of the Tiger games.

I also thought it was a little bit too crazy golf with all the power shots and what not. Fair play to have some courses that are a bit crazy but again, the GBA one was a lot more like the really early (and bloody nails) NES golf.

I wonder what StreetPass type stuff will be a part of it? It's not like there will be ghosts or anything, maybe best scores in tournaments? Not that it's a deal breaker, I'm just posting a curious thought...

There's loads of fighting games which claim to do things like that; learning playstyles and emulating them so it's just like playing a real person! In reality it's obviously nothing like playing against a real person and I'm feeling overwhelmingly lonely and miserable just thinking about it.

• 2 weeks later...

They're talking about the RPG-lite elements of past handheld Mario sports games. Thing is, this is based more on the home console ones, which only had a set of tournaments and unlockables rather than a story mode for the solo player. They were always multiplayer focused, and so is this, it seems - there's online and local play which is where the longevity obviously lies. It seems the reviewer prefers to have a more substantial single-player component. That said, the online element (which includes Streetpass and Spotpass, I gather, as well as Wi-Fi tournaments and the like) seems to have been all but dismissed in a single line.

Also: "So, to put it in tennis terms, it's not really a foul, but it's definitely close to the painted line." Er...

Laboriously clearing endless cups with different characters isn't my idea of fun, though. Aren't there a bunch of little minigames as well? If those are geared up for high-score competition against friends then I'd be into that. Not sure I'd be getting this right away though; I'll wait until I have someone local to play against.

• 2 weeks later...