Starting out as .. Zerg

ravnaz

Your apm is good and you seemed to build up a sizable army quickly but I'm not sure how much you can learn from playing the AI. Human opponents will almost always wall off against Z which limits a lot of what we can do in the early game and forces you to play reactively. As zerg you also need to get your natural up much earlier, this'll help you spend your excess minerals. Hatch on 15, before pool is common vs T.

Cheers guys.

Not looking to learn anything from the ai. Mainly using it as a means to practice builds/hotkeys with some pressure.

It's amazing the difference playing as a Zerg. Minerals and drones shoot up very quickly. No wonder they end up sprawling the map!!

What do you lot make of the fact that they just essentially removed the neural parasite ability from the game? Has that gone live here yet?

I am concerned that they are trying to stop the Infestor from being the sole lynchpin of Zerg play against every strategy, but without actually giving us anything back to compensate (Ultra spawning time aside - but those are very very late game).

Ravnaz haw you thought about switching to grid view? Then you always is the same keys, whatever the race and things are largely in the same place.

Nope, didn't even know that was an option.

How would that work though?

For example, there is an extra key for droning on Zerg compared to Terran..??

You set in in the menu option. Basically you only use the keys on the left hand side, so Q-T, A-G and Z-B. These keys correspond to the grid view in the bottom rightn of the game and their function changes as the grid does. They become context sensitive, moreso than having designated keys for each actions. For droning, iirc, you press the key for larve which is W (i think) that then changes the grid view and then you press Q for drones. All races have roughly the same grid. Buildings are the same place (Z and X) as well as unit abilities, which are all along the bottom row, Z-B. The only trouble with that view is that it sort of limits your hot keys. Initially I only felt comfortable with 1-4, now 5 and I'm pushing 6. Then again I have started using 0 and 9 for upgrades and scv's so actually it was probably me that was the limiter more than anything. It's well worth a try. I switched a while ago and it took me a few hours to get used to it, but I wouldn't switch back now, I find it a lot easier.

QQ for drones for Z :D

It is useful as you automatically know the hotkey for everything just depending on its location. For example, speed upgrade for lings is Q, melee upgrade is Q, range upgrade W and armour E.

It is especially useful if you change races a lot as you automatically know the hotkeys but I think it is also great if you stick to one race.

The biggest issue is attack (for attack move) is now er R (I think). It is very easy to patrol instead of attack sometimes.

Yeah, the A moving and stimming took a while for me to get the swing of. However, I can safely say, I am not an A-move Terran! I T ( I think it's T) move!

That's getting me every time so far. Didn't realise how much I relied on 'a'.

Speaking of hotkeys, I've changed mine a lot recently. I used to queue all the buildings along 1-4 with my army on 5, but very rarely do I use mech so I now whack my army on 3 and ignore the factory. I should really move the starport to 5 and use 4 for ghosts and harrasment groups and ghosts. Hotkeying upgrades on 0 and a bunch of auto repairing scvs on 9 is pure win as well.

getting slowly better at Zerg. Been playing random public(s) on custom matches (and losing), except that most of the time I seem to be playing diamond league players.

Think I'll have to bite the bullet and play 1v1 ranked in the knowledge that I will get demoted to bronze whilst I get up to speed with the Z. Lost a load of matches last night, so I'm down to rank 40 (from a previous of 21).

Think I'll have to bite the bullet and play 1v1 ranked in the knowledge that I will get demoted to bronze whilst I get up to speed with the Z.

You know if you click Multiplayer->Custom Matches->Join Match, you can select 1v1 and 2v2 maps like Xel'Naga Caverns to play against real people unranked.

The only thing with that, is you might up against masters, or bronze

You know if you click Multiplayer->Custom Matches->Join Match, you can select 1v1 and 2v2 maps like Xel'Naga Caverns to play against real people unranked.

The only thing with that, is you might up against masters, or bronze

This is what I've been doing. Ending up playing diamonds all the time.

getting slowly better at Zerg. Been playing random public(s) on custom matches (and losing), except that most of the time I seem to be playing diamond league players.

Holynfucking shit! You can just play randoms in custom games? How do I not know this? All I play is ladder!

I'm finding nabbing an early baneling nest pretty much beats 90% of all terrans right now. At my level (high silver/low gold) they are all very marine heavy with early aggression, and most are so silly they will keep going even after you wipe them out. Plus if they switch to siege tanks a load of speedlings and banelings takes that out too so it gives you lots of time to expand and drone up in the meantime.

I play T and everyone tanks, it's kinda funny. I've beat several players recently pushing with 2 marauders and marines. Usually followed by being called a rushing noob :)

I really don't like tanking play and as soon as I have spotted it gear up for heavy marauders and medi support. Getting quick upgrades, which is a staple of my play anyway. The other day a tanking 2 base player switched to thors whilst I took my 3rd and 4th. I had my 200/200 army in the middle of the map when he walked his thors straight into it. They didn't last long :D

How do I set a follow command?

I was thinking the other day that I really wished I had saves my first games. I went in pretty much blind off the single player. I distinctly remember one basing on blistering sands. I put supply depots all around the edge, with turrets for added defence. I produced scvs and marines economically to save money and didn't even know where the upgrades were. My base looked really pretty and was carefully laid out. Then about 10 minuates in my opponent rolled up with what seemed like 1000 marines to my 9 or 10 and laid waste to my city, my base, my home. I watched every building burn that day :(