IGNORED

GBA SP - how to spot the 101?

son of solo

I have one (not for sale) - they're well worth it. Mine's a US graphite model.

The most obvious thing is that the label on the underside says "Model No: AGS-101" instead of "Model No: AGS-001" - most Ebay sellers will be happy to confirm that.

The Wikipedia Article on them is a damned good resource, telling you how to spot the US and EU ones, with a photo of the European box.

I found mine on US EBay a few years back by looking for Graphite/Pearl Pink/Pearl Blue ones, then checking with the seller that the label said AGS-101. It's a bit scratched in places (screen is OK), and was very dusty and came without a charger. Opening the case and cleaning the whole thing out with a rocket blower solved the dust problem, and I didn't want a useless US charger anyway!

They have only one flaw - they're useless for playing in direct sunlight, although boosting the backlight helps. Don't get one to play Boktai, anyway.

I love the GBA, given the right hardware. I'm rocking Yggdra Union and Mario vs Donkey Kong at the moment.

I have one (not for sale) - they're well worth it. Mine's a US graphite model.

The most obvious thing is that the label on the underside says "Model No: AGS-101" instead of "Model No: AGS-001" - most Ebay sellers will be happy to confirm that.

The Wikipedia Article on them is a damned good resource, telling you how to spot the US and EU ones, with a photo of the European box.

I found mine on US EBay a few years back by looking for Graphite/Pearl Pink/Pearl Blue ones, then checking with the seller that the label said AGS-101. It's a bit scratched in places (screen is OK), and was very dusty and came without a charger. Opening the case and cleaning the whole thing out with a rocket blower solved the dust problem, and I didn't want a useless US charger anyway!

They have only one flaw - they're useless for playing in direct sunlight, although boosting the backlight helps. Don't get one to play Boktai, anyway.

I love the GBA, given the right hardware. I'm rocking Yggdra Union and Mario vs Donkey Kong at the moment.

Does the screen look like a bigger version of the GBA Micro screen?

I don't know - I've actually never used a GBA Micro. It's bright and clear and has two levels of backlighting. I find that if games have a "GBA/GBA-SP/Gameboy Player" pallette switch option (like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance), they generally look best on the GBA-SP 101 with the Gameboy Player settings.

The Micro screen is just too small for me. I don't need glasses, but don't have the strongest eyes, so the GBA SP is about the smallest screen I'd want to risk. Even then, playing something with excessively tiny details (like the ball/shot meter in Mario Golf Advance Tour) gives me a bit of eyestrain. I'm extremely fond of the Nintendo DSi XL as a result.

It doesn't have quite the clarity of the GBM screen, but that could be just because everything looks that much more sharp when a screen is smaller. But it is a very good screen and the lighting makes so much difference. No more washed out colours, even lighting. Looks great. 10x better than a normal SP. My gf has one which I bought for her new years ago. Wish I'd bought two :(

They're great. Expensive though. Mine came brand new from Sweden 2 years back for about £130 in surf blue.

You would have to be fairly lucky to get one from an unsuspecting seller. Reason being that most sellers know their worth and because they were only released quite late in the SP's life not that many casual (unsuspecting) punters bought them.

There were two limited edition models of the AGS 101. So if you see either a Pikachu or Spongebob Squarepants model, then it's an AGS 101.

Be careful with the Pikachu one though as they were released in Japan pre-101 so some are just regular 001 models I reckon.

Chris

There are actually a few knocking around TradeMe at the moment - that's the New Zealand Ebay equivalent. Bidding's only open to NZ/AU types, though.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/gaming/other-nintendo/nintendo-gba/consoles <-- take a look.

I'm in NZ, and could probably be persuaded to act as a middleman for reputable forumites if they fancy the prices of any of those. Looks like there's one flatout ripoff, one cheap and cheerful used model, and one reasonably priced boxed model in black. I still have a UK bank account, so you could either pay me into that, or send me rare-in-this-hemisphere contraband like Xenoblade Chronicles and the Gamecube Fire Emblem title.

TradeMe is as reputable as it gets, probably more trusted than the government over here. Obviously, usual caveat emptor applies for any auction site.

• 1 year later...