Rllmuk racing wheel thread

1 hour ago, milko said:

how much are you thinking, @Ry? I might as well add another to the "probably won't do it/haven't got any room/or money/still really want to" list.

I was hoping for about £200 for both the wheel and pedals. I also have a playseat challenge hardly used i would sell for £100 but i think sending that anywhere would be a nightmare.

44 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

The brake pedal is kinda stiff on this, isn't it? Its causing me problems with FH4 since I virtually have to stand on it to get reverse. And even then, it'll only crawl backwards. 

The aim of wheels like these is that you shift manually, Scous. So put it in reverse and hit the throttle as you would in a real car.

But if you can't be arsed with manual gears, map the clutch pedal for reverse instead. :)

7 minutes ago, Meers said:

The aim of wheels like these is that you shift manually, Scous. So put it in reverse and hit the throttle as you would in a real car.

But if you can't be arsed with manual gears, map the clutch pedal for reverse instead. :)

I really should start using manual gears. And turn all the assists off. But mostly the manual gears thing. I've never really got the hang of them, though,  despite the only time IRL that I've driven automatics was, ironically,  around a track.

I couldn't find a way to map anything to the clutch pedal. I'll have another go in a bit. 

59 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I really should start using manual gears. And turn all the assists off. But mostly the manual gears thing. I've never really got the hang of them, though,  despite the only time IRL that I've driven automatics was, ironically,  around a track.

I couldn't find a way to map anything to the clutch pedal. I'll have another go in a bit. 

If you manually shift in your own car, then you should get used to manual gears in racing games really quickly I think. Just ignore that you're playing a game is what I'm telling everyone. 

I think I have missed it, but which game are you playing again? 

12 hours ago, Meers said:

If you manually shift in your own car, then you should get used to manual gears in racing games really quickly I think. Just ignore that you're playing a game is what I'm telling everyone. 

I think I have missed it, but which game are you playing again? 

Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7. Though I'm thinking about looking at what other, sim-y games there are on Xbone. 

I think manual gears is one of those things I just need to get used to. Though I seem to be having trouble with FM7 and the wheel in general at the moment. I was all over the place last night, really struggling to keep it pointing in the right direction. I suspect I was being a bit heavy handed (and footed).

I've got a G920 - brake pedal has a rubber block under it to simulate brake pressure. Some like it, some don't. After a while it softens and you get used to it. You can take it out if you really hate it, but I left mine.

Plus mine "crunches" when pressed, which I believe is normal.

1 hour ago, RipePlums said:

I've got a G920 - brake pedal has a rubber block under it to simulate brake pressure. Some like it, some don't. After a while it softens and you get used to it. You can take it out if you really hate it, but I left mine.

Plus mine "crunches" when pressed, which I believe is normal.

There seems to be a lot of fuss about the brake pedal and how much it does or doesn't travel. I've seen a couple of things explaining how to increase travel and a few explaining how to decrease travel. Horses for courses, I guess.

I discovered my initial concerns with it were actually mostly due to the fact I was using a car with crap brakes, so I assumed I couldn't push it down had enough. Did a race in a Formula-e car and had no problem. I have reduced the outer travel thing in FM7 quite a bit, though, so I only really need to touch it to slam on. 

5 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7. Though I'm thinking about looking at what other, sim-y games there are on Xbone. 

Ah right, in that case I don't think you can assign functions to other 'buttons'. In their PC versions, you definitely can.

I would start using manual gears right off the bat if I were you. They allow you to be quicker as well, and give you more control regarding engine braking. It took me abour t weeks of daily play to get used to a wheel back in the FM2 days (2007 - with the official MS racing wheel). You can do it, man!

The G920 is a nice toy. Side bonus is that I've replaced my cheap £20 PC footpedals with the Logitech set through the use of a USB adapter - makes muting discord and other such functions feel rather high end overkill. :lol:

God help me, I'm thinking of doing the same for the gear shifter...

Slightly off topic but is acc any good on the xbox it's dreadful on the ps4. it's better than it was at launch but it's still buggy. I've done a race and went to the pits 1st with a 8 second lead and left last with a gaping of 30 seconds due to a bug. In career mode obv 

2 hours ago, Meers said:

You can't go wrong with Assetto Corsa, AC Competizione and Project Cars 2.

Pretty sure ACC on console is still very much broken, though if you've played on Xbox, would be good to hear more?

I have the PS4 version which I'm yet to install it on my PS5, but my expectation by videos online is that it's still  buggy, and won't hit a steady 60fps.  

PCars2 runs ok on Xbox, but isn't perfect, and is also a bit buggy, and will drop frames in the rain etc.

Basically, Xbox wise, Forza is properly polished and very good.

F1 would work, if that's your thing, but is perhaps even less sim like than Forza.

Dirt Rally / Dirt Rally 2 are probably the best if you like rallying / get on with them (which I don't for some reason).

IMO, the best console sim-like racer is Gran Turismo Sport on Playstation, but that doesn't help for Xbox users of course!

1 hour ago, Freeman said:

Ok, ACC is <£10 if you buy it from the Hungarian Xbox store with a fee free card.  I've bit the bullet, and now own it for both consoles...

Will report back once I've had a chance to download / play...

Will be interested to hear how you get on, more than likely I'll need to get that converter you've got to go the other way with my G29

So, I played about 45 minutes of the Xbox version, and 45 minutes of the PlayStation version.

I’m playing on new generation hardware, so Series X and PS5.

I did some laps of:

A time trial at Silverstone.

A quick race at Spa in stormy weather with full field of 20

A practice session and short race at Brands Hatch.

I played mainly in bumper cam, but a little in car too.

I did a couple of laps on pad, then switched to my Fanatec CSL Elite.

I’m playing in 1080p, though I don’t know if that actually makes a difference!

The Xbox version looks better, crisper somehow, and from my 45 minutes play was sitting quite happily at a steady 60fps.

Don’t get me wrong, compared to Forza or GT Sport it looks like a ps3 game (with PS4 car models..)

The PlayStation version, that made me feel ill at launch on my PS4 slim also seemed to me to be running almost perfectly on the Ps5.

It dropped very slightly exiting druids at Brands on the first lap, likely when cars were both in front going down to and around Graham Hill, and also at the top of the hill entering Padock Hill.

So, yeah, if you have a new console, it runs fine.

However...

The feedback on the Xbox seems broken, for my wheel at least. It’s properly weak, and despite some messing around starting with the Fanatec recommended settings that recommend 150 Force Feedback setting, which is, well high!

I couldn’t get it to feel good enough that I could detect the car sliding, I even turned down traction to make the car slide more.

The PlayStation version however feels great.

YMMV depending on your wheel of course.

It’s still reported to be a buggy mess online, though I hit no problems I’ve obviously not done a whole race weekend. I’ve also never experienced it on PC either.

In summary, will I play it again? Yes, on ps5 though it looks worse it feels great.

Did I waste a tenner on the Xbox version? Well it was £9.42, probably should have just tried the PlayStation version first!

That’s a great comparison. I’d say that in general the cars ACC feel way more understeer-y than GTS. The modelling of slip angle (I think that’s what’s it’s called anyway) is significantly differ the. That is, if your turn the wheel, the car isn’t going to head on that vector straight away, it’ll also carry on travelling in the original direction of travel. In GTS that’s modelled as the car quite dramatically sliding until the tyres suddenly grip and you gain traction. The way it’s modelled in ACC is more subtle and understeer-y feeling. A good comparison is driving through a sharp chicane, at Monza, say. It took me ages to get used to.

On 26/11/2020 at 12:54, RipePlums said:

It does take a while to get used to racing with a wheel. Initially I was crap, but the more I played the more I loved it.

I've been using a wheel for FM4 for a while and never really had any problems, but I'm really struggling with FM7.  I decided to go back an iteration or two and gave FM5 a go. The handling seems a lot more forgiving and, in the couple of races I tried, I did a lot better. FM7 gives me a touch of motion sickness anyway. 

Still using an auto box, though...

Just ordered a t300 rs for £229 which seems a decent enough price? 12 months interest free with PayPal credit as well. Looking forward to getting back to GT sport and others. 

Are the pedals pretty bad in these and you should upgrade if possible? 

1 minute ago, Parappa said:

Just ordered a t300 rs for £229 which seems a decent enough price? 12 months interest free with PayPal credit as well. Looking forward to getting back to GT sport and others. 

That's a great price, think I paid £350 for mine and it's a fantastic wheel.

Yep, the pedals are pretty rubbish and you'll be better upgrading them if you can.

16 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Are you a PC gamer or just Playstation?

On 25/11/2020 at 16:03, SharkyOB said:

And I have a Fanatec Rennsport stand I'll probably be looking to move on soon, which might work as an alternative to the playseat you have @Ry.  It disassembles into something that would be reasonably easy to post and looks like this:

image.png.2a958d8d679e846ef46f20717c390772.png 

What are you using for a chair?  I'm using an office chair but have replaced the wheels with locking ones, which worked to a degree; but since adjusting my brake pedal I'm applying more pressure which is pushing back on the chair too much so there's more movement than I'd like.

Thinking of getting a proper rig, but not sure at this stage.

1 minute ago, davejm said:

What are you using for a chair?  I'm using an office chair but have replaced the wheels with locking ones, which worked to a degree; but since adjusting my brake pedal I'm applying more pressure which is pushing back on the chair too much so there's more movement than I'd like.

Thinking of getting a proper rig, but not sure at this stage.

I just sit on my sofa, my setup looks like this:

864322980_20200417_2110091.thumb.jpg.a0d4ee4f0e138319fbaf55d72094d25b.jpg