Rllmuk racing wheel thread

5 hours ago, Dudley said:

Yeah, unless you're obsessed with GT3 (and you should be tbf), Assetto is a much better game than its sequel.

That simply isn't true, they both do completely different things extremely well. 

AC is an incredible motorsport playground where you can drive anything you want in varied environments (on PC with mods it is, anyway).

ACC is a laser focused sim with class leading physics/tracks/cars for the series it simulates. As an online game nothing comes close (iRacing has incredible infrastructure, but the sim itself is pretty dated now) and it's really accessible. 

I can't wait to see what Kunos do next, they are the class of the field in sim racing at the moment. 

Well they are all great games I'm sure but.. I'm still not moving on to other stuff til I'm done with Dirt 4. I love this game, its like my training wheels. Spent a few hours tonight going through loads of snow rally tracks and had a right blast. Now I managed to get the feedback on my wheel sorted you can really feel the car respond as you slide round corners. You need a crazy amount of concentration as you run round those curves and not crashing into walls but the sense of achievement when you do is immense. After loads of practice I won every race!

0.jpg

Been racing Dirt 4 all day and just had to give up, got the worlds worst cramp down my arm and middle of my hand. Couldn't move for half an hour or grip the wheel, still twinging now. Was slap bang in the middle of a championship too :(

On 27/03/2021 at 16:05, SharkyOB said:

That simply isn't true, they both do completely different things extremely well. 

AC is an incredible motorsport playground where you can drive anything you want in varied environments (on PC with mods it is, anyway).

ACC is a laser focused sim with class leading physics/tracks/cars for the series it simulates. As an online game nothing comes close (iRacing has incredible infrastructure, but the sim itself is pretty dated now) and it's really accessible. 

I can't wait to see what Kunos do next, they are the class of the field in sim racing at the moment. 

So exactly what I said "Obsessed with GT3".

I am also not obsessed with GT3 - if anything the opposite, I think they're all ugly as hell which is almost the only way I rate a car, it's just really incredible to drive in this game. If something else did other racing cars as well as ACC does GT3 and GT4 I'd probably be all over it (unless maybe it was F1 as I've even less interest in those). Love AC and Pcars2, but it's just another step up. 

Arguably it can cause an obsession I suppose. I've never so much as watched highlights of a GT3 race before but now I've found myself watching onboard footage of the real cars to try and work out how to get better at it. 

On 27/03/2021 at 22:06, Lorfarius said:

0.jpg

Lorfarius, yesterday:

Sorry for that cheeky dig mate. :blush:

I'm of course not going to force you to change your ways - this is merely an attempt to persuade you to switch to one of the in-car views as early as possible. It will feel much more direct (as you're 'sat' above the virtual tyres) which will make you judge corners and speed much better. I know you have to trade in your surround view with that, but it will be a worthy sacrifice and will make you become a better sim racer as a result. :)

17 minutes ago, Meers said:

Sorry for that cheeky dig mate. :blush:

I'm slowly switching I promise! I use the in car view all the time for Dirt Rally 2.0 but it's just feels off in Dirt 4. Think I've played it too long like that and can't shake the habit :lol: I am starting to wonder if I should buy some gloves and a helmet for more immersion.

52 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I'm slowly switching I promise! I use the in car view all the time for Dirt Rally 2.0 but it's just feels off in Dirt 4. Think I've played it too long like that and can't shake the habit :lol: I am starting to wonder if I should buy some gloves and a helmet for more immersion.

Ha, good man. And I wasn't trying to come across as a purist / elitist.

The reason it feels off is because the FoV is not set correctly for your PoV. I'm not sure if the in-game options allow you to change it, but if it does let us know and we can help you out to set it up.

Ultimately, if you can't get along with it, then that's that. If it works for you, then no sweat. :)

As I play more and more I do think that monitor just isn't big enough. I'd love to get a 4K one for the main screen and slide that to the side but just got no deskspace to store it all. I'm itching to start other games but I'm pouring every hour into Dirt 4 to get through that career, then it's being uninstalled. Enjoyed it for the most part as a starter for driving but the tracks are very generic.

12 hours ago, milko said:

Arguably it can cause an obsession I suppose. I've never so much as watched highlights of a GT3 race before but now I've found myself watching onboard footage of the real cars to try and work out how to get better at it. 

Exactly, GT3 racing is fucking great, get obsessed. :)

18 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Is this a good wheel stand or is a wheel stand pro better? https://www.amazon.co.uk/GT-Steering-Logitech-Shifter-Thrustmaster/dp/B01MS7W5EG/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=wheel+stand+pro&qid=1617023905&sr=8-9

Also, has anyone bought stuff from The Box before? Are they decent?

I have one of those stands and it's great. It does flex a bit, both side to side and a bit on the brake pedal plate, but that doesn't bother me at all. It's also not the most adjustable, but again that's not been an issue for me. 

I bought my pedals from The Box and they were absolutely fine. 

15 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I have one of those stands and it's great. It does flex a bit, both side to side and a bit on the brake pedal plate, but that doesn't bother me at all. It's also not the most adjustable, but again that's not been an issue for me. 

I bought my pedals from The Box and they were absolutely fine. 

Thanks, apparently there's an APEX(!) version now which makes folding it up easier. https://www.amazon.co.uk/GT-OMEGA-STEERING-SUITABLE-FANATEC/dp/B07HMVR6YX/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=gt+omega+apex&qid=1617025941&sr=8-3

Will check that out.

I had a wheel stand pro before with my 360 wheel and it was good but I do remember it always felt like it could be moved. WAs never really a  problem but it did feel like I had to hold it down with my feet on the pedals. I don't think the centre bar was ever an issue for me but overall it felt like something that could be used as a good wheel stand rather than someone that was designed specifically to be one.

I'm getting dangerously close to biting the bullet now. Just not sure what I'd really play right now. I do really like AC but it's pretty bare bones on Xbox and ACC doesn't look like it runs too well - will wait for the next gen update for that.

I also have the GT Omega stand.  I replaced the bolts on it, as the version I had used some fairly useless wingnuts.  I use the V1 shifter stand thing for the TH8A too.  It's perfectly fine.  I think it's rebranded as an X-Rocker stand at Argos and has been around £50 before.  Means you might be able to pick it up reasonably cheaply.

I found this - https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8667270?clickSR=slp:term:steering wheel stand:7:85:1

Looks a fair bit nastier to me.

All I need, really, is to convince myself I'll get use out of it. I've always liked driving games, the first game I ever played might have been Pole Position in the arcades, and I enjoyed having one on 360. How's Forza 7 with a wheel? I couldn't really imagine FH with one to be honest, too much faff in that and it seems so console pad friendly.

2 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Looks a fair bit nastier to me.

Nope, it's exactly the same stand as I have, just rebranded as @klargon mentioned.  I think the only difference is that it doesn't seem to come with any shifter mounts.

Ah, sorry.  That one is different, the one from Argos is the same as the stand you mentioned in this post:

2 hours ago, Pockets said:

Is this a good wheel stand or is a wheel stand pro better? https://www.amazon.co.uk/GT-Steering-Logitech-Shifter-Thrustmaster/dp/B01MS7W5EG/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=wheel+stand+pro&qid=1617023905&sr=8-9

Also, has anyone bought stuff from The Box before? Are they decent?

7 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Ah, sorry.  That one is different, the one from Argos is the same as the stand you mentioned in this post:

Yeah, having a look into it and fallen into the trap of reading old Reddit threads where people seem to think it’s a good ‘clone’ but not the same. Perhaps that’s people annoyed they paid more. Not sure I’d care either way if it’s decent. Only worry was one person saying the height adjustment was limited which might be a problem as I’m 6’6”. 

Anyway, thanks for the help, will have a think. Mainly of a good way to justify the wheel to myself. 

50 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

How do you stop the frame sliding away when you brake?

It's never been an issue. It doesn't move at all because it's fairly heavy and sits on a rug, which probably provides decent grip.

5 minutes ago, milko said:

my wheel stand pro's on a yoga mat, that seems to do the trick nicely. 

Probably makes it easier to fold away when you’re finished too. 

@Pockets Whereabouts are you? 

I've got one of these doing nothing since I replaced it with a Playseat Challenge: 

https://wheelstandracing.com/

giffast_536x536.gif?v=1592847745

They're £50 new. You could have mine for £25 if you're anywhere nearby (I live in north Kent and work in SE London). 

It's not the fanciest but it's sturdy and did me a good job until I got the Playseat. 

The wooden base comes undrilled, but I drilled mine for two different sizes of Thrustmaster pedal unit (first the plastic two-pedal set, then the far-superior T3PA three-pedal set).  

The below post from upthread has a photo of my actual one in situ, before I replaced it. Wheel not included ;)

On 28/03/2021 at 20:03, Lorfarius said:

Been racing Dirt 4 all day and just had to give up, got the worlds worst cramp down my arm and middle of my hand. Couldn't move for half an hour or grip the wheel, still twinging now. Was slap bang in the middle of a championship too :(

You're gripping the wheel too tight! 

You should be holding it like you have a baby bird in your hands and you don't want to hurt it or let it fly away. 

I'm actually not making this up.

On 26/03/2021 at 21:55, Valver said:

AC really comes alive with mods (the graphics get a huge kick up the butt with CSP and SOL). This is a good primer on how to set it up if you aren't afraid of a bit of fiddlin'

Thanks again, followed all this but not launched the game yet. Seems that you can launch the career from the mod program, is that okay to do if I've not even opened/started the campaign yet? Want to try that first but not sure which is safest to launch.

4 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

@Pockets Whereabouts are you? 

I've got one of these doing nothing since I replaced it with a Playseat Challenge: 

https://wheelstandracing.com/

giffast_536x536.gif?v=1592847745

They're £50 new. You could have mine for £25 if you're anywhere nearby (I live in north Kent and work in SE London). 

It's not the fanciest but it's sturdy and did me a good job until I got the Playseat. 

The wooden base comes undrilled, but I drilled mine for two different sizes of Thrustmaster pedal unit (first the plastic two-pedal set, then the far-superior T3PA three-pedal set).  

The below post from upthread has a photo of my actual one in situ, before I replaced it. Wheel not included ;)

Thanks for the offer, I’m in Essex so not too far but no way to get anywhere. I was looking at a bundle thing as well and am still not sure on the wheel yet but will keep it in mind, much appreciated.