IGNORED

Rllmuk racing wheel thread

TommyG

7 minutes ago, davejm said:

Yeah, but it's not a great QR system which is why they're replacing it with the QR2.  If you're lucky enough to get a wheel base shaft where the rims fit snug without the screw then it's OK; but in my case it doesn't.  It's a common issue; but they say that this is just normal 'tolerances' and because they say you're always supposed to use the screw I guess they can get away with it.

Ah yeah, then my solution's a bit better as you can set the tension yourself (but don't overdo it). I can't pull my wheel off no matter how hard I try, so I think it's safe to say that it works well.

On 27/11/2021 at 23:58, Meers said:

20211126_171714.thumb.jpg.1b548ffb19e38b919c766cf427a0f88f.jpg

20211126_171557.thumb.jpg.d4ec0b7c552cac04a5358de42783377f.jpg

Just realised something, @Corranga...

There's a hole on the bottom bit of the clamp (see top pic). I think you can line it up with the hole on the shaft (bottom pic) so that you still can fix it with the original allen bolt if you want to.

On 29/11/2021 at 11:04, Meers said:

Just realised something, @Corranga...

There's a hole on the bottom bit of the clamp (see top pic). I think you can line it up with the hole on the shaft (bottom pic) so that you still can fix it with the original allen bolt if you want to.

Nice! I’m still undecided but I like playing with things so might we’ll have a good look anyway.

I don’t think you’d really need the bolt, but something like this might be better than the Allen key bolt..

E3F9F7F3-6A70-40AD-A34E-D209250D054C.jpeg

All you lot rocking the Playseat challenge, I found this video yesterday https://youtu.be/w5D6cFS3h1k

It mentions a company called Indigo Lime do loads of bits to eliminate wobble. 
 I emailed them and asked about a pedal mount for the T-LCM as the cheapo Chinese mounts I got off eBay keep snapping even though I’ve lowered the settings on the loadcell. 
 The designer ( a guy called Mark) Sent me a lovely email back saying he was working on it. You Fanatec guys might be interested as there’s a set for the CSL elites as well as a few other pedal sets. https://indigolime.uk/

On 03/12/2021 at 13:28, Junker said:

All you lot rocking the Playseat challenge, I found this video yesterday https://youtu.be/w5D6cFS3h1k

I emailed them and asked about a pedal mount for the T-LCM as the cheapo Chinese mounts I got off eBay keep snapping even though I’ve lowered the settings on the loadcell. 
 The designer ( a guy called Mark) Sent me a lovely email back saying he was working on it. You Fanatec guys might be interested as there’s a set for the CSL elites as well as a few other pedal sets. https://indigolime.uk/

The stability mod I have and used on the challenge is theirs, quality is good, my initial one has a small issue, Mark was really good and sent out modified bits to sort it within a few days.  Can’t comment on how long it lasts as I switched rigs not long after

11 hours ago, Corranga said:

The stability mod I have and used on the challenge is theirs, quality is good, my initial one has a small issue, Mark was really good and sent out modified bits to sort it within a few days.  Can’t comment on how long it lasts as I switched rigs not long after

Ahh.. I didn’t realise this was the same guy - I did remember you saying about getting them. 

On 03/12/2021 at 13:28, Junker said:

Thanks - just ordered the pedal tray hinge replacement doodad.  It's not that I find it moves whilst I'm racing, but I find it's difficult to get it back into the same position every time, and I get a nasty pain in my left knee if I get it out of alignment.  Also finally gone and found a decent set of bungees to hopefully replace the silly velcro strap that holds it all together when folded - the number of times the stupid thing has given way and nearly broken my kneecaps when I've been dragging it out of its hidey hole is not funny.

3 hours ago, fretnoise said:

Also finally gone and found a decent set of bungees to hopefully replace the silly velcro strap that holds it all together when folded - the number of times the stupid thing has given way and nearly broken my kneecaps when I've been dragging it out of its hidey hole is not funny.

THIS, it's the worst thing about the setup. Do you happen to have a link to what you got?

40 minutes ago, Dudley said:

THIS, it's the worst thing about the setup. Do you happen to have a link to what you got?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Y4NN952

It should be overkill, but I can always use some for the car boot, and there should be something in there that's about the right size :) I'll report back on whether they work or not once they get here.  

still on the fence about ordering one of these fanatec things.

what do people think to the mclaren gt3 wheel vs the wrc one? i think being sensible i should get the wrc one as it's more multi-purpose, but the gt3 one looks really cool and as i play rally games on low wheel rotation i should be fine with the gt3 one...

3 hours ago, spatular said:

what do people think to the mclaren gt3 wheel vs the wrc one? i think being sensible i should get the wrc one as it's more multi-purpose, but the gt3 one looks really cool and as i play rally games on low wheel rotation i should be fine with the gt3 one...

I’ve got the wrc wheel and the formula V2 which is similar to the McLaren gt3 wheel. 

A luxury, but I’d say get both. 

If you can only have one, you’d be better off with the WRC as it can do every driving type whereas you’d struggle to do rallying or drifting etc with the gt3 wheel. 

^ cheers! yeah i can only get one, still on the fence as 1 is maybe too expensive (although i guess i'll end up with the ps5 wheel too) so probably best going with the wrc. maybe a better question to ask is what are the advantages of the gt3/formula style wheel? i've never had one like that so don't know much about it other than thinking they look cool.

12 hours ago, spatular said:

I have the P1 rim (WRC one is based on it) and the McLaren GT3 rim. I use the P1 rim for the DiRT Rally, Horizon and Assetto Corsa games (depending on the car I'm driving), and the GT3 rim for ACC and Formula cars. Best of both worlds.

The McLaren GT3 is amazing value for money imo. I was on the fence for a long time, but I'm glad I got it. Plenty of buttons to map all kinds of functions to. It is not good for rallying though, as you need to rotate the wheel more than 360° sometimes which is awkward on the GT3 rim.

8 hours ago, spatular said:

what are the advantages of the gt3/formula style wheel?

Smaller diameter so easier to turn quickly (might be important in modern single seaters) and more knobs/dials etc.  The latter only really matters if you're playing ACC, or something else where there are lots of controls you can map.  I'd imagine playing on consoles would restrict this somewhat, as you generally can't map as many controls on those.

Its  way off before I get the DD Pro but I'm starting to think about stands/rigs etc. I'm currently on a wheel stand pro and G29. 

it comes with a table clamp (lol) but I kinda don't think i've got the space/setup for a more permanent rig. I take it i'd have to drill holes in my wheel stand pro plate to get it to fit to that. any thoughts? i presume @mexos you've thought about all this too?

1 minute ago, Varnsen said:

I take it i'd have to drill holes in my wheel stand pro plate to get it to fit to that. any thoughts?

Yeah that's what I had to do to fix my CSL onto my wheel stand too. Does your wheel come with a drilling template? 

40 minutes ago, Varnsen said:

i presume @mexos you've thought about all this too?

I sure have :)

A while back I made my ghetto stand thingy for the pedals to raise them up and provide a comfortable position for the Playseat Challenge:

image.png.4a519c43cf627969507b1ef7df5f484c.png

My short term concept for when the DD arrives is this:

image.png.1f7db430006a90a07d41e08a9da9b722.png

Remove the plate + arms from the PS Challenge. Make a platform I can attach the plate and DD on. Chop the base bit of wood you see there and make a little slot for the Challenge legs to fit into - so it's always set to the right distance for me. Doable in a weekend.

I'll use a fuckton of 18 / 30mm plywood and LOTS of pocket holes so it will be solid af.

Then the stand + pedal bit can just live under my desk and the PS challenge seat can just fold away as it does now.

Eventually I'll get something like this (maybe) from NLR. But not for a while so the ghetto solution will have to do.

fgt_elite_side_mount_8-1.png

Just now, Varnsen said:

This is all too manly for me. I don't even own a drill. Spraying contact cleaner into my pedals was bad enough. 😅

haha. It’s not too bad. That being said I did have all the kit and wood lying around and a tiny bit of experience making shit so that helped. And I don’t have another grand and a half for a stand anytime soon so…

7 minutes ago, Varnsen said:

This is all too manly for me. I don't even own a drill. Spraying contact cleaner into my pedals was bad enough. 😅

The A-Team was a huge inspiration to me. Just make your own stuff (in case you get trapped inside a shed and have to escape)! 

20200517_144113.thumb.jpg.f290a39900cd93bf52cd8de1fec7bb4a.jpg

20200517_144201a.thumb.png.33f2e3e08abf0b86211195b1776eb8b9.png

20200517_143642a.thumb.jpg.1564406b51c736c38b65fc4c3af95c0a.jpg

20200517_143708a.thumb.png.235da0a1b10d24c10658c728ac769025.png

14 minutes ago, Varnsen said:

very impressive!

Forgot to mention the difficulty setting is "Renting a flat in London" :(

Cheers! Game me another reason to show off my handywork. 😅

And you have my symphaties for the flat in London difficulty setting. I've seen one of those up close once. Nasty.

9 minutes ago, Varnsen said:

Forgot to mention the difficulty setting is "Renting a flat in London" :(

As long as the landlord doesn't see you moving in all the tools, sheets of wood etc. They'd never know! :eyebrows: 

I made all my stuff in our second room of out 750 sq ft London flat. (NOT recommended mind)

If you did want something made you could always get a wood merchant to cut pieces to size for you. Then just screw them together. I made min by propping up the pedals with books and other shit to get the positions right. Then measured it all and cut the wood. 

Someone needs to come up with a better PS Challenge for DD's.... I bet the market is there. 

On 06/12/2021 at 14:46, Dudley said:

Those bungees are fine. A tad long, but you can wrap them around such that they hold everything in place, like this:

C19D41BB-6168-41EF-BDF0-64E2DCDA8CAA.thumb.jpeg.d8d27790606aa6e664861416180ffdc3.jpeg

The bag of bungees also included some tiny ones which are useful for the pedal tray, which was a nice bonus. Like this:

7B9512D3-0584-4C1C-8C1B-79C383A71FCD.thumb.jpeg.b5f641a2882ebe86d5c4b3f6fab07ede.jpeg

The downside is I now have 26 spare bungees... Oh well :D 

21 hours ago, fretnoise said:

Those bungees are fine. A tad long, but you can wrap them around such that they hold everything in place, like this:

C19D41BB-6168-41EF-BDF0-64E2DCDA8CAA.thumb.jpeg.d8d27790606aa6e664861416180ffdc3.jpeg

The bag of bungees also included some tiny ones which are useful for the pedal tray, which was a nice bonus. Like this:

7B9512D3-0584-4C1C-8C1B-79C383A71FCD.thumb.jpeg.b5f641a2882ebe86d5c4b3f6fab07ede.jpeg

The downside is I now have 26 spare bungees... Oh well :D 

16 hours ago, Varnsen said:

that the Playseat Challenge? I should look into those. They're what, about 200 quid? What's the Rllmuk hivemind got to say? A few of you have them right

It’s good for what it is, which is essentially a lawn chair. You think it will be flimsier than it really is - when you sit in it, you weigh it down and it kind of tightens everything up into place. 

I find you can’t use too much brake pressure or you lever the front of the chair up off the floor. It’s not been a big issue for me, you just learn to modulate it and it doesn’t stop me getting to 100% pressure with my Thrustmaster T3PA pedals. (It’s not the equipment’s fault I’m slow! 😆)

When the chair is set up, the whole wheel assembly swings out of the way so you can get in and out. It’s quite clever. 

It folds away to about the size of a large suitcase - it’s actually quite impressive how it all goes together, like a Transformer or something. Takes a couple of minutes to rig/derig it, it’s no big deal. You do have to put straps round it when it’s folded, to stop it flopping open when you’re moving it. You also learn which bits you can hold and which you can’t (the upper seat back is just a push fit, so it tends to want to come off if you try to lift it there).

Obviously a rigid permanent rig would be better in most respects, but if that’s not an option it’s a perfectly good thing and I found it a nice upgrade from the wheel stand I had before.