IGNORED

Rllmuk racing wheel thread

TommyG

Seconded - if you don't have the room for a static seat it's really good.

There are loads of YouTube videos about how it goes together and how flexible it is/isn't.  I find it does flex (you can push the wheel up and down with not very much force), but it's fine when you're actually racing.

The velcro straps that hold it together when it's folded are a bit rubbish - I've just replaced mine with the bungees posted on the last page.  However, the velcro straps that hold the thing together when it's in use are rock solid - I suppose because you don't adjust them very often.  They're the wide straps either side with "CHALLENGE" and 3 red stripes in Dudley's pics, and there's another one you can't see that acts as extra back support.

The pedal tray is a weak spot, I think.  The hinges it attaches with can move side to side, by design, so that you can have the tray in the right place, but it means it's really easy to get the position wrong, or even get it at an angle to the seat.  I've ordered some of those IndigoLime bits to see if they fix it.

For info, I'm 6'1" and a bit lardy, and fit ok.  I have the seat reclined a touch further than Dudley, and have the wheel bed in its furthest away position to give more room for my arms.  There's more than enough adjustment on the pedal tray to get that in the right place.

The only issue I did have was my thighs are a tight fit in the seat, and rest up against the metal triangles that attach the side straps to the frame.  They dig in a bit, and were sore for the first couple of times I used it, but I don't notice it anymore (they still dig in, it just doesn't hurt anymore).

Karl Gosling did some decent videos about it https://www.youtube.com/c/KarlGosling, including fitting some extras to make it stiff enough for a DD wheel.  There are hundreds of others :)

In my case it's not even really the room for a static cockpit so much as I'd struggle to place it so I didn't have to also buy another entire computer setup.

And if I did then I'd still have to move it to do VR that isn't driving games.

So it's suddenly £200 vs £2500 and it'd have to go in a different room.

I have one that I should probably sell at some point, it's modded at the moment.
- Indigo Lime stability mod

- Better / much more solid pedal tray mount

- Raised feet

It's the PlayStation version, so is blue, not black.

The mods have their downsides as they'd scratch laminate (the raised feet especially) if you don't alter in a different way

All are reversible of course.

Here is a really bad video I did of the stability mod, well, of demonstrating that it ,moves the flex from the wheel plate / clamp to the frame itself.

Yeah, he's fairly pragmatic - yes, the seat flexes, but it's basically a deckchair so it will do.  Importantly, you don't really seem to notice the flex when you're driving as you're twisting not pushing or pulling.  Usually...

Fancy load cell brakes are going to be more troublesome, but he's even done a video about those recently.  Basically, "turn 'em down a bit" and you'll be fine :)

Oh yeah, if anyone's going to have a decent set of Thrustmaster pedals spare after they get their fancy shmancy Fanatec gear, please let me know.  T3PA, T3PM or TLCM all considered...

3 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I think it was Karl that thought the playseat did just fine with the 5nm CSL-DD so I'm hoping I'm fine.

Otherwise I'll mode and upgrade to 8 at the same time to pretend it's my choice.

To be honest, it was fine with CSL Elite which is 6Nm (I was running it at about 60%), it all depends on what you are happy with. 

There will always be some play / movement in the Challenge.

I was happy with the movement in mine as it was in a direction I didn't really feel it much at all when racing. 

I've read that the Playseats that have the single pole between your legs often have more movement in the pole, that is off putting due to the direction of the movement.

For me, the lifting at the front of the seat was the issue when I started using load cell pedals.

I don't need the fold up nature of the Challenge as my rig was always set up, so I moved to a proper solid rig and it feels amazing, if potentially slightly less comfy than the Challenge!  Bang for buck, the Playseat Challenge is incredible though.

Well I found a solution to mounting my T-LCM pedals on my Playseat challenge. I’m guessing it might be useful to anyone  fed up of Velcro or zip ties as it should work with other pedals. Means I can crank up the loadcell setting.
 Not my idea - I saw it on a YouTube video I can’t find now. 20mm P clamps fit the Playseat perfectly. Combine them with your M6 bolts and they’re rock solid. These are the ones I found on Amazon and a pic of what they look like fitted.

931CF355-8FD3-49AD-9CF4-6EC24486DE61.jpeg

9A8B2698-60B0-493B-BE35-CC41F906BC86.jpeg

1 hour ago, Meers said:

Is the CSL Elite 6Nm? So that's 1Nm more than the basic CSL DD (sans booster kit). Impressive!

Yes, the DD is slightly weaker in standard form, and with the boost pack hits the same 8Nm of the old Clubsport which it’s basically replacing.

With the older belt drive bases, I expect you’d lose some through tolerances, and perhaps even wear. Either way, the DD will be more… well.. direct!

For comparison (And because I found them looking for the old Clubsport figure)

T150 is about 2.7Nm

T300/Tx: 3.9 Nm

Logitech

DFGT: less than 2.5 Nm

G25: 2.5 Nm

G27: 2.3 Nm

G29/G920: 2.2 Nm

That list is measured rather than official numbers, the Fanatec numbers are official numbers.

37 minutes ago, LeighCb said:

Hi please excuse my ignorance. I'm looking to get my nephews a steering wheel (and pedals) for xmas that will work on Xbox and PC for about £100-150? Can I get anything with decent feedback like in the arcades for that much?

I don't think so, but if you can stretch to £180 this is a good entry level set...

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5553071

37 minutes ago, LeighCb said:

Hi please excuse my ignorance. I'm looking to get my nephews a steering wheel (and pedals) for xmas that will work on Xbox and PC for about £100-150? Can I get anything with decent feedback like in the arcades for that much?

The Thrustmaster TMX is your best option. 

I had the PS4/5 equivalent (T150) and was my first wheel. It's really solid. Going a step up puts the price range more at £300-400.

1 hour ago, LeighCb said:

You may also find backup stock of the G920. They've recently replaced it but it's another perfectly fine option if you get lucky on stock clearing.

• 1 month later...

image.thumb.png.659928f0c3465f445d205c63ec7f1ed0.png

Some people already experiencing problems with their Playstation GT rim. Some buttons come off really easy apparently. Check the L2 and D-pad (funkyswitch) locations up there...or rather, where they should be.

I was going to order the McLaren GT3 rim anyway but Junker made me use the 650S in our mini GT3 championship and now I can't bring myself to (so bad in GT Sport). What other Fanatec rims are any good? I want the formula style rim but Mexos reckons they bring out a variant every year and is waiting on this years one...

18 minutes ago, davejm said:

Blimey, I thought it looked cheap.  But that's terrible.  Why didn't they just go with an adapted version of their other round rims? 

Because Sony had too much say in this one, unfortunately...

[OCD]

What bothers me more is that he's not sitting centered in front of his telly. 😅

[/OCD]

2 hours ago, Meers said:

Because Sony had too much say in this one, unfortunately...

[OCD]

What bothers me more is that he's not sitting centered in front of his telly. 😅

[/OCD]

I think it’s funny that Sony being involved in the design means we have a rim that looks more like the official MS one for 360 than any Fanatec one.

image.thumb.jpeg.1b3ad12cd9d85052117e1e88656e1adc.jpeg

I don’t think Fanatec are exactly well known for their customer service either, hopefully this is resolved / an early batch issue, but somehow I doubt it.

Hopefully the McLaren rim buttons map to the GT additional stock inputs out they let us customise in GT7…

2 hours ago, Corranga said:

I think it’s funny that Sony being involved in the design means we have a rim that looks more like the official MS one for 360 than any Fanatec one.

image.thumb.jpeg.1b3ad12cd9d85052117e1e88656e1adc.jpeg

Used to have that one too until I swapped it for a Fanatec CSR. Openend my eyes how shit the Fischer-Price MS wheel was.

1 hour ago, Meers said:

Used to have that one too until I swapped it for a Fanatec CSR. Openend my eyes how shit the Fischer-Price MS wheel was.

Same! It kind of looks better than the DD Pro wheel mind... (That I have ordered!)

Wasn't sure which thread to post this in, but it's wheel related, so this seems sort of appropriate.

I've sometime found it a bit off that when in VR my real hands don't match what my virtual hands are doing on my racing wheel.   So Varjo labs have started prototyping some solutions.  You can map your racing wheel in game and then project your hands into the game world

Video here.   https://player.vimeo.com/video/672259519?h=5697359436

Article here:

https://varjo.com/vr-lab/mixed-reality-driving-simulation/

edit: 

It was done in a modded Assetto Corsa too 😄

image.thumb.png.71db0c8fe1bd971aa66e2e6e28383953.png

Not really a gaming wheel, but more like a 'sim racing product cross-over into real-life racing'. A Fanatec button box hub on a Sparco rally rim, used in Monte Carlo by Gus Greensmith. Not sure if it's custom made or not, but it's not available on their store so I assume it is.

1 hour ago, Meers said:

Not really a gaming wheel, but more like a 'sim racing product cross-over into real-life racing'. A Fanatec button box hub on a Sparco rally rim, used in Monte Carlo by Gus Greensmith. Not sure if it's custom made or not, but it's not available on their store so I assume it is.

It's the new podium button module, no idea when it will release or prices but there is a blog post showing off some photos here.

On 31/01/2022 at 09:55, Varnsen said:

I was going to order the McLaren GT3 rim anyway but Junker made me use the 650S in our mini GT3 championship and now I can't bring myself to (so bad in GT Sport). What other Fanatec rims are any good? I want the formula style rim but Mexos reckons they bring out a variant every year and is waiting on this years one...

New rim has been released...

https://fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-f1-esports-v2

Would be a good option if you didn't want the McLaren rim or the more expensive formula v2.5.