IGNORED

Rllmuk racing wheel thread

TommyG

18 minutes ago, Corranga said:

I believe there are only 3 options here, unless you want to mess around with a third party converter like a Drive Hub or something which I think brings it’s own complications on Ps5.

CSL Elite PlayStation 4 Edition (belt drive)

GT DD Pro (aka CSL DD PlayStation edition)

And the… podium? DD for PS4 which costs much more anyway.

I upgraded from the Elite to the DD and it was worth it. I then sold my Elite for, well actually surprisingly quite a lot. I guess what I’m saying is, it might not be as cheap as you want to get into the ecosystem 

I just read your post in the sim racing thread and it was pushing me back towards just getting the DD, someone locally is selling the CSL Elite base and pedals for £350 so by the time you add a wheel rim there isnt much difference to the base 5nm kit….

Bit of a shame the Fanatec prices all went up by ¢50 euros since i started procrastinating about it.

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

@Corranga I went to order and see that you have to pay taxes via the delivery company - do you know how much you got hit on top of expected VAT?

What you pay should be approximately the EU price plus about a tenner. 

Well, I assume it's the German price and VAT is 19% in Germany I think, so it's slightly more as obviously its 20% here.

That price is visible on Fanatec BEFORE you log in with a UK account.

The extra (your actual question :D), is either £10 or £12, I don't remember which. They ship with UPS, and that's the fee they charge for processing your duties.

Essentially, this is the cost of Brexit in Fanatec terms.

Once you log into the website with a UK account, they deduct the VAT, so you pay the smaller cost upfront.

Note, if you do order after despatch, when it arrives in the UK, you'll get a UPS email saying Import charges are due on a parcel from: CARL JOEHNK KG. This is normal.

Last hive mind question I promise… for a while.

Stock issues on wheel stand things is a nightmare and having spoken to all the main brands they have no idea when they are due again - ideally I would pick up a GTomega Apex, Next level racing where stand 2.0/DD or a Sim Lab WS-Pro but all out of stock but am I missing any before I pick up something less than ideal to get me going like the GTomega classic or even a very cheap Xrocker that looks almost to be a clone of that?

I missed a cheap and local Playseat Challenge, not sure if thats a wise route as space is at a premium in the room hence the Ikea chair + wheel stand plan to get me going.

4 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Last hive mind question I promise… for a while.

Stock issues on wheel stand things is a nightmare and having spoken to all the main brands they have no idea when they are due again - ideally I would pick up a GTomega Apex, Next level racing where stand 2.0/DD or a Sim Lab WS-Pro but all out of stock but am I missing any before I pick up something less than ideal to get me going like the GTomega classic or even a very cheap Xrocker that looks almost to be a clone of that?

I missed a cheap and local Playseat Challenge, not sure if thats a wise route as space is at a premium in the room hence the Ikea chair + wheel stand plan to get me going.

Chair and wheel stand is fine. I moved from that to a Playseat challenge, and I’m really happy with it. Folds up so I can store it away, surprisingly it’s super comfy as well. I got a local 2nd hand one  for a bargain, if you find one I’d advise trying it. They sell pretty quick so if by any chance you didn’t get on with it you’d get your money back easy

16 hours ago, Junker said:

Chair and wheel stand is fine. I moved from that to a Playseat challenge, and I’m really happy with it. Folds up so I can store it away, surprisingly it’s super comfy as well. I got a local 2nd hand one  for a bargain, if you find one I’d advise trying it. They sell pretty quick so if by any chance you didn’t get on with it you’d get your money back easy

Cheers, Im going to keep checking daily (hourly) and see if anything comes up, ordered the DD pro base kit so have a little time to sort out some form of stand before an amazon prime panic buy!

Exciting wheelstand update….

With my wheel due to arrive last Thursday and me being far too impatient to wait for one of the stands to come in stock I panic bought a GTomega classic wheelstand, it came the next day just as I was told my wheel was stuck in traffic and not due until this Tuesday at the earliest…..:doh:

Its actually far better than I thought and while I can feel a bit of movement it’s defi more solid than my old wheel stand pro - will see what it’s like with the wheel obv but it’s exceeded my expectations for sure!

spacer.png

Its been a great foot rest and dual sense pad rester for GT7 while I impatiently wait the wheel!

19 hours ago, Meers said:

That's a solid looking stand, mate. Should do the job properly.

Cheers, much better than I thought it would be - I was planning a swift upgrade when back in stock but will see how it is in use!

14 hours ago, mrben09 said:

I have that stand and it does the job. If you want to upgrade later you can buy the chair frame bit and attach it.

I did see that, have you done it? I assume it doesn’t really help with side to side flex but must make it more stable overall?

@Corranga or anyone with a DD pro…. Do you get the bolts you need to mount it with the wheel? I have a load of bolts with the stand but not sure if they are for the wheel and pedals and if so the right size!

19 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

@Corranga or anyone with a DD pro…. Do you get the bolts you need to mount it with the wheel? I have a load of bolts with the stand but not sure if they are for the wheel and pedals and if so the right size!

No, I think as you need the right size based on how thick the thing you are mounting it to is.

You do get T nuts to put the bolts into though, and, well you need to use them as they fit in the slots of the wheelbase.

So, you want M6 bolts that at 10mm plus the thickness of the plate you are mounting it to.  If your bolts are too long, use washers to get the overhang as it were down to 10mm.  If they are too long, you will basically be screwing the, into the wheel base casing.

Wheel arrived today, was due tomorrow so nice surprise! Firstly… I don’t have the right bolts to properly mount the pedals so just have them fixed with two at the moment - not an issue as I can move the whole wheel stand with heavy braking (separate issue) 

I also can’t get the angle right on the stand as the DD is flat bottomed and flat wheel angle the stand assumes you have an angled wheel I guess!?

But enough issues, it feels good to use - wheel is waaay better then my old GT2 but pedal set not as good as old club sports as you would imagine - while I can still left foot brake I’m defi on the learning to drive again phase of wheel use!

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

In a moment of weakness (and because it was in stock and I had FOMO) I've just bought myself A CSL DD (8nm) and the Formula v2.5x wheel. 

Coming from a 300mm round, replica Ferrari 488 Thrustmaster wheel, I hope I can get on with the small size and formula shape...

I'm braced for the UPS customs VAT charges.   Any ideas how long this stuff might take to arrive in the UK?  I'm assuming a week or two.

Also, presuming I like it all, there will be a Thrustmaster TS-PC with 488 wheel up for sale soon.  Perfect condition. About a year old.   If anyone here is interested, PM me.

Good choice, I think you'll like it!

4 minutes ago, Valver said:

Also, presuming I like it all, there will be a Thrustmaster TS-PC with 488 wheel up for sale soon.  Perfect condition. About a year old.   If anyone here is interested, PM me.

Is it compatible with the PS4? Asking for a colleague of mine (he's from South Africa and couldn't bring his sim racing gear with him).

17 minutes ago, Valver said:

In a moment of weakness (and because it was in stock and I had FOMO) I've just bought myself A CSL DD (8nm) and the Formula v2.5x wheel. 

Coming from a 300mm round, replica Ferrari 488 Thrustmaster wheel, I hope I can get on with the small size and formula shape...

I'm braced for the UPS customs VAT charges.   Any ideas how long this stuff might take to arrive in the UK?  I'm assuming a week or two.

Same wheel as me - you'll love it.

Post should be a few days. Mine came from Ireland over a weekend, and a mate got his Fanatec stuff direct from Germany in a few days too.

20 minutes ago, Meers said:

Is it compatible with the PS4? Asking for a colleague of mine (he's from South Africa and couldn't bring his sim racing gear with him).

No, PC support only.

Also, Im keeping my pedals (TLCMs) so its just the wheel and base I'll be selling...

4 hours ago, Valver said:

Their shipping takes about a week in my experience, I presume it was listed on the website as "available now" rather than "expected August" or whatever.

4 hours ago, Meers said:

CSL DD is PC only (well, PC and Xbox with an Xbox rim attached) but the GT DD Pro is the exact same wheelbase with a slightly different body shape and Playstation compatibility.

I also presume we're talking wheelbases here, but if we're talking about entire CSL setups, you may be interested in the recent issues with my CSL Load Cell that I posted over in the GT7 thread:

4 hours ago, Valver said:

Mine took over 2 weeks from Fanatec due to the Brexit system being broke/leaves on the track/wrong kind or rain/Covid… so stuck in customs for a while, this was a few weeks back but having just come back from abroad it took ages just getting through Heathrow border control due to Brexit computer issues so imagine its the same with freight but longer delays :(

Ordered 7th and delivered 21st having checked the UPS logs.

20 minutes ago, Corranga said:

CSL DD is PC only (well, PC and Xbox with an Xbox rim attached) but the GT DD Pro is the exact same wheelbase with a slightly different body shape and Playstation compatibility.

Actually, I meant if the Thrustmaster wheel was PS4 compatible...but I didn't read Valver's description well enough. 😅

I may also need to upgrade my sim rig.  I've currently got my Thrustmaster gear bolted to a "GameRacer Pro" which is essentially a copy of a Playseat Evolution. The wheel is mounted on a post between my legs and has a fair bit of lateral wobble.

What do folks recommend for mounting a CSL DD?  

@davejm - what was it you said you have again Dave?  I'm window shopping and considering the TR-80 from TrakRacer and the Sim Lab GT1 Evo at the moment...

7 minutes ago, Valver said:

I may also need to upgrade my sim rig.  I've currently got my Thrustmaster gear bolted to a "GameRacer Pro" which is essentially a copy of a Playseat Evolution. The wheel is mounted on a post between my legs and has a fair bit of lateral wobble.

@davejm - what was it you said you have again Dave?  I'm window shopping and considering the TR-80 from TrakRacer and the Sim Lab GT1 Evo at the moment...

I have the GT Omega Prime: -

https://www.gtomega.co.uk/products/prime-cockpit?variant=39909611208792

I bought it without a seat, then bought myself a Sparco R100 separately.

@Valver the Next Level Racing GTtrack might be worth a look as well (I've an earlier edition of it called the GTUltimate, which clearly wasn't true). Or the Playseat Trophy.

I’m having a ‘mare setting up my pedals on the GTomega classic stand - I had them setup with just two bolts holding them on as didnt have the correct m6 bolts so got some of them today but now I can’t get all 4 lined up on the pedal stand bit, I swear they came with throttle all the way over to the right and brake to the left!? Pics on the site have them centered so ive been moving them around but long story short… I can’t find a place that all 4 bolts will fit.

I assume but would be good to have confirmed the bolt pattern on the new CSL pedals is different from the prev Fanatec pedals hence not fitting a stand with the Fanatec holes pre drilled?

On 06/05/2022 at 13:13, Valver said:

My current setup is a GT DD Pro (so CSL DD for Playstation) with the 8Nm boost kit, mounted to a Sim Lab GT1 Evo

I bought from https://pure-sims.com/ who are UK based rather than EU based, and shipped quickly (though they are out of stock at the moment). They were at the time, and likely still are the official Sim Lab distributer/reseller for the UK.

I love it.  It's properly solid, no movement at all in anything, the pedal plate is a really heavy thing, the adjustability in the wheel mount is great, at no loss of stability, it's probably about as compact as you'll get, and I added quick remove casters (not the Sim Lab ones) to allow me to move it around if need be (as a console gamer using a TV).

Similar to davejm I bought with no seat and purchased my own separately, though unlike dave, I went 2nd hand and real car over aftermarket race style.  The Sparco R100 was on my list originally, but I'd read some comments on them not wearing too well in some reviews.

The reasons I went car seat was that they are designed to be sat in for hours and hours at a time and to be comfy, have had crazy R&D budgets to make them in the first place and if you buy the right ones, have in build movement to fine tune your position.  e.g. working rails for leg length, recline and height adjustability, and possibly lumbar support too.

I did want something a little sporty though, not a massive lux-o-barge sofa!

I initially started with a Mini Cooper S seat (same as my daily) which was great except for... well, temperature control with a leather seat combined with long sessions sitting in a heated room..

I moved onto an Alcantara one from an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio (which oddly doesn't have adjustable lumbar).  

The complications with a car seat depend on which seat you use, Japanese cars for example, seem to often (always?) have rails at differing heights which would be a a pain, but the Mini / Alfa seats are flat.

Plus, any excuse to show off some pics 😂

Excuse the tools / missing pedal, I took my CSL load cell out tonight as Fanatec want it returned, well, sent you their ‘UK workshop’ for repair (see a few posts above) - it took Fanatec just over 1 week to respond to my report of the broken shore.  Yesterday they offered return/repair, but haven't detailed how yet.

2nd photo shows the seat is mounted straight to the rig, 4 bolts into T Nuts, really simple.

4A505B5A-82C2-4121-B450-4FFEE348AC9D.jpeg

997C9C03-A48E-4EB2-BD2D-861CC2133D9B.jpeg