Jump to content
IGNORED

Rllmuk racing wheel thread


TommyG
 Share

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Meers said:

@Valver, how adjustable is the seat? Is it fixed to the base plate or does it slide forward/back as well?

 

By default neither the frame nor the seat come with sliders, so you would just find a spot on the aluminium profile and bolt it down.  However, its a simple job to add a set of regular car slider rails into the mix.  They bolt to the underside of the seat with 4 bolts, and then the slider rails bolt to the frame.  Now I have a handle under the chair that I pull up to slide the seat forwards or backwards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Valver said:

However, its a simple job to add a set of regular car slider rails into the mix.  They bolt to the underside of the seat with 4 bolts, and then the slider rails bolt to the frame.  Now I have a handle under the chair that I pull up to slide the seat forwards or backwards.

 

Ah sounds like what I have! I've also attached the sliders under my seat, and those are fixed onto 2 blocks of wood that I've screwed on the base plate. It's very solid, but a pain to mount (there's little working space because the bloody chair is in the way). I've recently replaced the previous blocks I had onder there with better ones, and it was a bloody hassle to do. Hopefully I won't have to deal with that again any time soon. 😓

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Meers said:

 

 It's very solid, but a pain to mount (there's little working space because the bloody chair is in the way). I've recently replaced the previous blocks I had onder there with better ones, and it was a bloody hassle to do. Hopefully I won't have to deal with that again any time soon. 😓

 

 

Amen to that!  Who knew attaching four simple bolts could cause such swearing!

 

i-feel-your-pain-floyd-jackson.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a fairly long session on the wheel today, my shoulder is destroyed - the Ikea seat I have is too low for the wheel stand and there is no way around it as if I lower the stand the weekly angle is pointing down and can’t adjust it enough. I said to the missus that I had worked out why ive had some odd shoulder pain recently and basically got the green light to buy a proper seat setup…

 

I take that as permission for a full rig, the Ikea chair can be used elsewhere in the house im sure…. Now - do I just buy the seat from for the GTomega wheelstand I have or go for a full cockpit? I really shouldn’t spend too much as I have the McLaren wheel, loadcell and boostpack on the ‘must have’ list now.

 

Im going to be keeping my eyes out on second hand stuff locally, hopefully someone went mad for GT6 but doesn’t use it….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I said to the missus that I had worked out why ive had some odd shoulder pain recently and basically got the green light to buy a proper seat setup…

 

I take that as permission for a full rig

 

that-doesnt-sound-safe-unsecured.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/05/2022 at 20:51, Shimmyhill said:

I really shouldn’t spend too much as I have the McLaren wheel, loadcell and boostpack on the ‘must have’ list now.


Load cell will make the most difference I’d say, but you need a solid rig (at least with the pedals attached to the seat in some way) in my option to make the most of it, which potentially means rig is the way forward.

 

Boost kit, probably a similar situation to be honest, but a good brake more important imo (says the guy who has been living without his LC as it’s broken for 2.5 weeks now..)
 

McLaren wheel… I’ve used mine about 3 times since getting the GT DD, I only really play GT7 though and the convenience of the sticks helps. I loved the McLaren for ACC with my old wheel base, but when the new console versions launched the extra buttons didn’t work, this may be changed now though. 
Are you specifically looking for Xbox compatibility?


Seats, the reviews I read of the GT Omega ones weren’t great, especially for the price of them, though, does it come with a frame to bolt to the wheel stand somehow?

 

I also remembered after posting the other day about the car seat that they of course have sliders on them, which I think was another £50 for a Sparco or similar. Great if you have different height people using it.

 

I’m not helping am I…

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Corranga said:


Load cell will make the most difference I’d say, but you need a solid rig (at least with the pedals attached to the seat in some way) in my option to make the most of it, which potentially means rig is the way forward.

 

Boost kit, probably a similar situation to be honest, but a good brake more important imo (says the guy who has been living without his LC as it’s broken for 2.5 weeks now..)
 

McLaren wheel… I’ve used mine about 3 times since getting the GT DD, I only really play GT7 though and the convenience of the sticks helps. I loved the McLaren for ACC with my old wheel base, but when the new console versions launched the extra buttons didn’t work, this may be changed now though. 
Are you specifically looking for Xbox compatibility?


Seats, the reviews I read of the GT Omega ones weren’t great, especially for the price of them, though, does it come with a frame to bolt to the wheel stand somehow?

 

I also remembered after posting the other day about the car seat that they of course have sliders on them, which I think was another £50 for a Sparco or similar. Great if you have different height people using it.

 

I’m not helping am I…

 

 

You are as you have confirmed that I need to get the frame/seat before the loadcell - I have to push my wheelstand right against the tv unit to stop me moving under braking and thats going to be worse with a loadcell isnt it? I assume with a seat attached your own weight in the seat is going to make it more stable!?

 

GTomega do this frame add on for my wheelstand, its the most cost effective way to go I feel at the moment - https://www.gtomega.co.uk/products/classic-rear-seat-frame  The frame is £70 on its own so could buy a seat separately, think there are always 10% off codes for GTomega so can get it a little cheaper… under £200 with their seat.

 

I do want xbox compatibility for the new upcoming Forza really, the PS5 is my GT7 machine but have ACC and anything else driving wise will be on that - not sure if it will get much xbox use as thats in the living room a floor above my game den but good to have as an option and the McLaren wheel seems great value and well rated. Im not sure about the extra buttons, think thats a PS limitation isnt it? Good point about the extra dials for fuel mix etc, I do find the GT a wheel a little uncomfortable but maybe part of that is how im sat at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did a thing….

 

spacer.png

 

While looking on facebook market place for bucket seats this turned up….brand new, local to me for £50 so while it isnt going to be as good as a Sparco I think its a bargain! He said it was the XL one and I wasnt as keen so to get it home and find its the RS6 version is a bonus!!

 

Just waiting on the rear frame for the wheelstand now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I did a thing….

 

spacer.png

 

While looking on facebook market place for bucket seats this turned up….brand new, local to me for £50 so while it isnt going to be as good as a Sparco I think its a bargain! He said it was the XL one and I wasnt as keen so to get it home and find its the RS6 version is a bonus!!

 

Just waiting on the rear frame for the wheelstand now!

For £50 that is an amazing bargain!  Good work.  Enjoy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Valver said:

For £50 that is an amazing bargain!  Good work.  Enjoy!

 

Indeed, couldn’t turn it down - just waiting for the rear frame now and hopefully can get a comfy setup with no shoulder pain!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the frame arrived and ive quickly set it up - needs plenty of adjustment but already even on a 10 min try it feels much better than the stand plus ikea chair. Obviously it can’t all be smooth and now the TV is too low and ideally i think i need to raise the seat up on the runners so that would make the tv even lower….

 

spacer.png

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brilliant.  I'm thinking of moving so it's not something I want to do now, but if/when I do get in a new place I'll be doing exactly the same with a dedicated monitor stand plus large OLED TV 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That stand for the telly is genius, I knew about them but somehow hadn’t thought about one as a solution to mount the TV….. I see GTomega do one thats not as chunky but is on wheels so I could move it when I want to switch from racing to using my turbo trainer in the same room, potentially a perfect solution as would take up less room than the tv unit im using and space is at a premium in my room!!

 

Question for the DD pro users… im trying to recentre the wheel as its slightly off but can’t seem to do it - the manual says you need to go into the tuning menu and while centered press the start and x button but it doesn’t seem to do anything - tried while the PS5 is on or off and nothing. Any ideas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Question for the DD pro users… im trying to recentre the wheel as its slightly off but can’t seem to do it - the manual says you need to go into the tuning menu and while centered press the start and x button but it doesn’t seem to do anything - tried while the PS5 is on or off and nothing. Any ideas?

 

It works pretty much the same as my CSL base, I see. Did you follow these exact steps?

 

image.png.378c9d41470827aa44c9798c0dc827bd.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

@Meers exactly that - ‘CAL’ isn’t displayed is the only difference… I’m wondering if there is no way to calibrates outside of it wanting you to and flashing ‘CAL’ 

 

Hook it up to a PC and use the Fanatec driver tool type menu thingy. Come to think of it, have you already updated the firmware? Can only be done on a PC and it's highly recommended. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Meers said:

 

Hook it up to a PC and use the Fanatec driver tool type menu thingy. Come to think of it, have you already updated the firmware? Can only be done on a PC and it's highly recommended. 


I did update the firmware when I got it in April (I think) and a pain as no Mac support and have the worlds slowest laptop with windows…

 

Will give it a go later on, well tomorrow if I turn the laptop on shortly 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, sbrandon111 said:

Quick question, is it worthwhile getting the gear shifter or better off with the paddles on the wheel, for a newbie?

 

I think it depends on what games/cars you'll mostly be driving.  For example - if you play F1 or ACC, then its paddle shift only and the shifter would be totally pointless.  Maybe if you play a lot of original AC, for cars with H pattern boxes it's worth it - I have one, but I hardly ever use it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, sbrandon111 said:

Quick question, is it worthwhile getting the gear shifter or better off with the paddles on the wheel, for a newbie?

 

For a newbie, I'd way it's easier to use the paddles.  A lot of modern cars in a lot of games/sims have paddles anyway; so even though I have both it's rare that I actually use the H-pattern shifter.  I sometimes play around in some older cars in Assetto Corsa, and the H-pattern is good for that, but I hardly ever use it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, sbrandon111 said:

Thanks for the replies, I’ll stick with the paddle shifts. Annoyingly I couldn’t get my wheel to work with Euro Truck Simulator (maybe a blessing in disguise).

I got the gear shifter with my G29 and it stayed in the box - partly because the games I play don’t use it much, but primarily because there’s no easy way to mount it on a Playseat Challenge without extra mounting gubbins…. I never really thought “ooh, wish I had the gear shifter plugged in”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.