Rllmuk racing wheel thread

TommyG

19 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Early reviews are looking good

Cool - load cell and Hall effect sensors for the pedals. €389 though!

Thrustmaster must have something in the works, surely? A DD wheel compatible with my TLCM pedals would be lovely :) 

Having read and watched a couple of reviews it’s an easy no for me - you can’t get a combo that can work on Xbox and PlayStation for a start and around 1400 notes is an odd place to be given the pedals seem to fall short of the cheaper new CSL or Moza pedals and the base is in between the ‘budget’ DD bases and the higher end stuff price wise but not really features wise.

Good to have some more competition esp in the console land, seems to be an open door for Thrustmaster tho…..

First reaction: Insane money for a ‘budget’ brand wheel. 

If the higher capacity motor = higher FFB fidelity then ok i guess but if not then that is power most people will just never use imo. The DD pro at 8 has more than enough for me. TBH without trying it 11 seems like and odd place for Logitech to aim for given where all their other wheels are positioned. If the DD pro and this are both in stock at the same time who is going to pick the Logitech? 

8 hours ago, Junker said:

Well I think you guys missed this but 2 days ago Thrustmaster DID announce their DD wheel….. will be revealed on Twitch in November and is PC only 🤨

https://www.gtplanet.net/thrustmaster-teases-direct-drive-wheel-20220919/

Yeah I saw that.  It's tease after tease from Thrustmaster, and announcements announcing the date of future announcements 😆 

23 minutes ago, davejm said:

Yeah I saw that.  It's tease after tease from Thrustmaster, and announcements announcing the date of future announcements 😆 

They really did have fuck all dd in the bank when Fanatec dropped the bomb eh. :lol:

5 hours ago, mexos said:

First reaction: Insane money for a ‘budget’ brand wheel. 

If the higher capacity motor = higher FFB fidelity then ok i guess but if not then that is power most people will just never use imo. The DD pro at 8 has more than enough for me. TBH without trying it 11 seems like and odd place for Logitech to aim for given where all their other wheels are positioned. If the DD pro and this are both in stock at the same time who is going to pick the Logitech? 

I had the same reaction, it looks cheap and doesn’t seem to have the spec to justify the price but having seen the reviews it does seem to be very good - all the ‘pro’ types say 10-14nm is the sweet spot even when using more powerful bases so assume thats why they have gone for 11. Boosted media have said the build quality is actually very good, well above Fanatec with a better QR and while plastic it is only the housing and very high quality finish. The real shocker is that TrueForce is meant to be amazing on this, adds something no other wheel can.

Overall its impressive but as you say its really odd positioning, going after the middle ground in DD bases but pricing out most console players doesn’t seem the smartest pitch - maybe there is a cheaper DD to follow? As it is lacking both console support and £1200 price point (with pedals) seems an odd no mans ground area to be.

Agree with all the above about the new Logitech pro wheel.

The jump in price from a G29 or similar to this is massive.
I imagine someone serious enough about Sim racing to spend well over a grand is looking at Fanatec and Moza etc. 

I do like the look of the pedals though

On 19/09/2022 at 17:18, Shimmyhill said:

Bit of a surprise CSL Elite pedals v2 announcement from Fanatec https://fanatec.com/eu-en/detail/index/sArticle/1589

Playing catch up...

I said early on, when I switched from original CSL Elite to CSL that I wouldn't switch back, but also that I saw benefits of both and... I still wouldn't, but as it's now been a while, I will say my mind has been changed a little, and these appeal somewhat.

Pros of original Elites:

Longer pedal travel

Look nicer (they are much heavier, cast is cooler than shaped alloy, like the new V2s look to be, but I think this is looks only.  I have no issues with the sturdiness of the CSL pedals at all)

Pros of CSL:

Hall sensor accelerator and clutch

Warranty as they were newer

This means the V2s are basically the combination of why I kept the CSLs and why I wanted to keep the Elites.

Some of you may recall that I broke one of the elastomer shims used in my newer CSL load cell after only a couple of months.  

I put this down to 2 things.  On the old CSL Elites, I used a fairly stiff pedal, and also I enjoyed the longer movement of it.

(Note also that I already broke an elastomer shim on the original Elites too, though that took longer and was probably because I swapped out the foam piece for a soft elastomer!) 

What's changed?

Well, I modded my CSL load cell to use springs instead of the elastomer shims, so I can't break them now.  

Why did I do that?

The springs are obviously stronger, and also give an element of customisation (I run 2 different strengths which means the pedal is soft then gets harder, much like I had with the old Elites, though it's not as long, and is a touch noisier.  Stronger and better feeling.

Why is this relevant?

Well, the new CSL Elite v2 clearly don't have a piece of foam in them, but instead have what looks like a small blue spring or something (potentially solving the problem I had when I broke them)

They also look to have the longer pedal travel I want (being that they look exactly the same as the originals)

So, I'm all in on CSL Elite V2 then right?

Well, no.

They still rely on the elastomer shores.  I read somewhere that they break when they are compressed to 50% of their original size.  Try avoiding that with your leg on a pedal!

The real answer I fear is probably this:

On 19/09/2022 at 19:27, mexos said:

Yeah... I think I'll wait for the Podium pedals (if they ever arrive...)

13 minutes ago, Corranga said:

Playing catch up...

I said early on, when I switched from original CSL Elite to CSL that I wouldn't switch back, but also that I saw benefits of both and... I still wouldn't, but as it's now been a while, I will say my mind has been changed a little, and these appeal somewhat.

Pros of original Elites:

Longer pedal travel

Look nicer (they are much heavier, cast is cooler than shaped alloy, like the new V2s look to be, but I think this is looks only.  I have no issues with the sturdiness of the CSL pedals at all)

Pros of CSL:

Hall sensor accelerator and clutch

Warranty as they were newer

This means the V2s are basically the combination of why I kept the CSLs and why I wanted to keep the Elites.

Some of you may recall that I broke one of the elastomer shims used in my newer CSL load cell after only a couple of months.  

I put this down to 2 things.  On the old CSL Elites, I used a fairly stiff pedal, and also I enjoyed the longer movement of it.

(Note also that I already broke an elastomer shim on the original Elites too, though that took longer and was probably because I swapped out the foam piece for a soft elastomer!) 

What's changed?

Well, I modded my CSL load cell to use springs instead of the elastomer shims, so I can't break them now.  

Why did I do that?

The springs are obviously stronger, and also give an element of customisation (I run 2 different strengths which means the pedal is soft then gets harder, much like I had with the old Elites, though it's not as long, and is a touch noisier.  Stronger and better feeling.

Why is this relevant?

Well, the new CSL Elite v2 clearly don't have a piece of foam in them, but instead have what looks like a small blue spring or something (potentially solving the problem I had when I broke them)

They also look to have the longer pedal travel I want (being that they look exactly the same as the originals)

So, I'm all in on CSL Elite V2 then right?

Well, no.

They still rely on the elastomer shores.  I read somewhere that they break when they are compressed to 50% of their original size.  Try avoiding that with your leg on a pedal!

The real answer I fear is probably this:

I think you are spot on, the new V2 Elites are clearly better (as they should be) and had I not bought the loadcell for the CSL a month ago I would have a set on the way. I am still tempted as like you I want more travel but seems like this has killed the V3’s so they need an upgrade asap and then the podiums….

Maybe I should take one for the team and either order a set of v2 or some mod kit for my loadcell thus prompting the new CS and Podiums to hit the market…..

4 minutes ago, Corranga said:

C3BFD26B-0C48-4309-8F9C-3F8C85B70128.thumb.jpeg.c113a55591362dee5dd3f4fe0fee275b.jpeg

;)

I need to do that with my pedals! I removed the clutch pedals from my CSR Elite set (I only have time for play ACC) because I couldn't center the brake and throttle pedals. But if I mod my base plate a bit, I could position the clutch next to the brake pedal like that. One concern though - aren't you accidentally hitting the wrong pedal now?

5 hours ago, Meers said:

I need to do that with my pedals! I removed the clutch pedals from my CSR Elite set (I only have time for play ACC) because I couldn't center the brake and throttle pedals. But if I mod my base plate a bit, I could position the clutch next to the brake pedal like that. One concern though - aren't you accidentally hitting the wrong pedal now?

No issues hitting the wrong pedal. I don’t have a shifter so the clutch is just a foot rest, I only play with narrow shoes on (puma cats of some form, drift cat I think). I don’t think it’s any narrower then some cars I’ve driven / own.

5 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Ahhh yes of course, I was thinking of the 3drap elastomer bits - how are you getting on with that setup after the time its been installed?

It’s much better. It feels firm but compliant, and gives me a little more (but still not enough for my preference) pedal travel.

It creaks a little due to bring metal springs, and on close inspection it’s not wearing anything that I can see anyway so I’m pleased with it.

I can naturally brake at 50% as and when I need to and ease the pressure off happily. Great for turning that Nissan around Lago Maggiore with the brakes in the current time trial!

3 hours ago, Corranga said:

It’s much better. It feels firm but compliant, and gives me a little more (but still not enough for my preference) pedal travel.

It creaks a little due to bring metal springs, and on close inspection it’s not wearing anything that I can see anyway so I’m pleased with it.

I can naturally brake at 50% as and when I need to and ease the pressure off happily. Great for turning that Nissan around Lago Maggiore with the brakes in the current time trial!

Cheers for that, im really after more travel so thats good and bad news I guess - I do like the loadcell and its a much better pedal than the standard one but not quite how I want it!

So the Logitech wheel just got interesting again….. If you have the PlayStation base it will work on Xbox with an Xbox wheel so the same as Fanatec… Honestly if the pedals were a bit better than this seems to be the wheel to have with Trueforce especially with consoles.

29 minutes ago, Meers said:

And vice-versa too, I presume? Xbox base on a Playstation with an PS rim?

Nope, same as Fanatec - the PlayStation security chip is in the base so the only way to be able to play on both is PlayStation base with Xbox wheel - chip for xbox is in the wheel not base!

I want another wheel for my Fanatec, mine is DD Pro so to get it working need an Xbox wheel (still works on PS) and the same wheel but works on Xbox is ¢20 more than the PS version….

Bloody consoles!

18 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Nope, same as Fanatec - the PlayStation security chip is in the base so the only way to be able to play on both is PlayStation base with Xbox wheel - chip for xbox is in the wheel not base!

I want another wheel for my Fanatec, mine is DD Pro so to get it working need an Xbox wheel (still works on PS) and the same wheel but works on Xbox is ¢20 more than the PS version….

Bloody consoles!

One of the reasons I went to PC for my sim racing was because of dealing with woes like that. 😕

Expect Fanatec to announce some new pedals any day now…..

I bought a spring kit to mod the CSL pedal ironically to be more like the CSL elite v2 setup as I really want some more travel in the brake pedal - hope to have time over the weekend to fit and test them.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Expect Fanatec to announce some new pedals any day now…..

I bought a spring kit to mod the CSL pedal ironically to be more like the CSL elite v2 setup as I really want some more travel in the brake pedal - hope to have time over the weekend to fit and test them.

spacer.png

I see your post a minute after checking on mine and of course it’s delayed. Thanks Evri. Useless.

33 minutes ago, mexos said:

I see your post a minute after checking on mine and of course it’s delayed. Thanks Evri. Useless.

You ordered the same?!?  

Like a boss idiot I tried to fit the spring in the 30 mins before we went out, needless to say I had to take half the rig apart as one of the washers pinged off inside something…. 45 mins later and it was back together and in about 4 corners of testing the yellow spring seems awfully soft 😂

44 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

You ordered the same?!?  

Like a boss idiot I tried to fit the spring in the 30 mins before we went out, needless to say I had to take half the rig apart as one of the washers pinged off inside something…. 45 mins later and it was back together and in about 4 corners of testing the yellow spring seems awfully soft 😂

I did!