Rllmuk racing wheel thread

TommyG

18 minutes ago, mexos said:

Dump the remaining stock, new Podium wheel coming in the new year then? It's a good discount. If I didn't have a DD I'd jump at it.

Hopefully some new Clubsport pedals too - the deal with the pedals is pretty impressive, swats away pesky Logitech!

21 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Good point, I haven’t driven my car this month - I should see it and buy the Fanatec beast, right!?

Absolutely, it's 100% better all round. One more car off the road + you have a sweet DD rig. And those TT times will get slayed! 8-)

52 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Good point, I haven’t driven my car this month - I should see it and buy the Fanatec beast, right!?

right-correct.gif

I think you should use the car to race in (as a rig, like). Replace the windscreen with a TV, the pedals with your sim pedals and the wheel with the Fanatec beast. And turn the car on whilst you're racing for maximum immersion.* Job's a good one.

* Don't forget to ventilate the room though.

5 minutes ago, Meers said:

right-correct.gif

I think you should use the car to race in (as a rig, like). Replace the windscreen with a TV, the pedals with your sim pedals and the wheel with the Fanatec beast. And turn the car on whilst you're racing for maximum immersion.* Job's a good one.

* Don't forget to ventilate the room though.

Hmm, its not a bad shout but my car is a Leaf……😂

I couldn’t really sell my car, its perfect to run around in and costs nothing to run - I shall have to ‘make do’ with my DD Pro, I would be more interested in a new set of pedals or for the sake of my back a better rig…. And maybe another wheel or three.

Other than that im happy….

18 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

I've recently bought a Logitech G29 from a forumite which i fear will be a gateway peripheral!

Any rec's of a foldable stand? I don't have the room to have it assembled all the time unfortunately. 

Depends what you need, seat included etc? If so Playseat Challenge folding chair thing is a good option. Ive got one of these https://www.gtomega.co.uk/products/classic-steering-wheel-stand thats on sale at the moment, I have the seat add on thing and a race seat but at that point its well past being able to fold and really a bit of a compromise! 

The wheel stand part of it is good tho and much better than the Wheelstand Pro I had many years back!

I can sell you a cheap 'Wheel stand pro' if you want something small that doesn't include the chair etc. It's definitely not as good as having a rig you can sit in, but better than nothing, I used it happily enough for months before I upgraded after finding a bargain on eBay.

And yes that rig you link to on Amazon works on anything that you can bolt onto it of course, nothing to do with PC/console.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, milko said:

Thrustmaster finally announce the DD wheelbase. Sounds pretty promising if you're already in their ecosystem (compatible with their older wheels), maybe not quite such an easy sell otherwise. €650, 10Nm constant. 

I think you’re being generous… PC only is not good for console players obv but it puts it into a market thats pretty crowded and while 10Nm is good it looks a bit, well, shit - like a bad knockoff of the Logitech DD and somehow looks very much cheaper than it in the process… I thought the release ‘fanfare’ vid was a disaster, its not like they haven’t had time to get this all right.

It may well be very good and at the end of the day thats all that matters but it was a terrible reveal :(

Ah well, I don't give a shit about the non-PC market personally, but yes that's another weird miss for them. And no denying they have fucked the PR on this one so far!

I'm not really likely to upgrade anyway, thinking about it more. Not unless finances do an awful lot better than expected!

33 minutes ago, Corranga said:

Fanatec's list of Black Friday deals is out

https://blackfriday.fanatec.com/

Decent savings on CS pedals, and if you have a basic GT DD Pro, discounts on the load cell and 8Nm boost kit

10% off any wheel, and 20% off bundles with certain pairs of wheels.

Annoying that they are the only o Pandy in the world doing their Black Friday sale on Black Friday itself… given I couldn’t get on the page for a while for the announcement Im not too hopeful of getting on it on the day…..

I’m going to try and get a wheel, defi the Macca GT3 and tempted by the V3 pedals with the discount…… Its my birthday soon and my other half said I have some money left over so did I want anything - we have gone from ‘why do you need another wheel?’ To ‘if it makes you happy’

A win, I’d suggest!

3 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

and tempted by the V3 pedals with the discount

I'm now researching V3s, this is a bad idea isn't it.

Spoilered list from the website (which apparently is having some issues loading)

Spoiler

FREE UPGRADE (which means, higher level thing for the price of a lower level thing, no 'upgrades' going on)

ClubSport Pedals v3 Inverted €/$399.95

ClubSport Pedals v3 €/$299.95

Podium Wheelbase DD2 €/$1199.95

SPICE UP YOUR CSL DD / GRAN TURISMO DD PRO

Boost Kit 180 30% off

CSL Pedals Clutch Kit 30% off

CSL Pedals Load Cell Kit 30% off

CSL Pedals Tuning Kit 30% off

WHEEL MANIA

Any Steering Wheel/Hub 10% off

Xbox Premium Wheel Bundle 20% off

ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2.5 X + Button Caps and Sticker Set

ClubSport Steering Wheel R300 V2 for Xbox + Button Caps and Sticker Set

All-rounder Wheel Bundle 20% off

CSL Elite Steering Wheel McLaren GT3 V2 + QR1 Wheel-Side

CSL Universal Hub + ClubSport Wheel Rim GT Alcantara + Button Cap and Sticker Set

Rally and Formula Wheel Bundle 20% off

CSL Elite Steering Wheel WRC + QR1 Wheel-Side

ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2.5 X + Podium Advanced Paddle Module + Button Caps and Sticker Set

PC Premium Wheel Bundle 20% off

ClubSport Steering Wheel RS + Podium Advanced Paddle Module + Button Caps and Sticker Set

ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2.5 + Button Caps and Sticker Set

Xbox Bargain Wheel Bundle 20% off

CSL Elite Steering Wheel McLaren GT3 V2

CSL Elite Steering Wheel WRC

Triple Wheel Bundle 30% off

Podium Steering Wheel Porsche 911 GT3 R (Suede) + Button Caps and Sticker Set

ClubSport Steering Wheel BMW GT2 V2 + Podium Advanced Paddle Module + Button Caps and Sticker Set

ANNIVERSARY SALE

Keep an eye out for some legacy products returning at amazing prices (availability varies per region).

1 hour ago, Corranga said:

I'm now researching V3s, this is a bad idea isn't it.

Spoilered list from the website (which apparently is having some issues loading)

Reveal hidden contents

FREE UPGRADE (which means, higher level thing for the price of a lower level thing, no 'upgrades' going on)

ClubSport Pedals v3 Inverted €/$399.95

ClubSport Pedals v3 €/$299.95

Podium Wheelbase DD2 €/$1199.95

SPICE UP YOUR CSL DD / GRAN TURISMO DD PRO

Boost Kit 180 30% off

CSL Pedals Clutch Kit 30% off

CSL Pedals Load Cell Kit 30% off

CSL Pedals Tuning Kit 30% off

WHEEL MANIA

Any Steering Wheel/Hub 10% off

Xbox Premium Wheel Bundle 20% off

ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2.5 X + Button Caps and Sticker Set

ClubSport Steering Wheel R300 V2 for Xbox + Button Caps and Sticker Set

All-rounder Wheel Bundle 20% off

CSL Universal Hub + ClubSport Wheel Rim GT Alcantara + Button Cap and Sticker Set

Rally and Formula Wheel Bundle 20% off

CSL Elite Steering Wheel WRC + QR1 Wheel-Side

ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2.5 X + Podium Advanced Paddle Module + Button Caps and Sticker Set

PC Premium Wheel Bundle 20% off

ClubSport Steering Wheel RS + Podium Advanced Paddle Module + Button Caps and Sticker Set

ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2.5 + Button Caps and Sticker Set

Xbox Bargain Wheel Bundle 20% off

CSL Elite Steering Wheel McLaren GT3 V2

CSL Elite Steering Wheel WRC

Triple Wheel Bundle 30% off

Podium Steering Wheel Porsche 911 GT3 R (Suede) + Button Caps and Sticker Set

ClubSport Steering Wheel BMW GT2 V2 + Podium Advanced Paddle Module + Button Caps and Sticker Set

ANNIVERSARY SALE

Keep an eye out for some legacy products returning at amazing prices (availability varies per region).

Defi a bad idea, as soon as delivered the V4 will be announced…..

I should have searched before I started a topic in ATF about wheels, silly me.

Essentially my 10 year old son has asked for a wheel / pedals for Christmas, he mainly plays Forza Horizon on the Xbox but I can see how he will soon move onto more 'serious' racing games.

So basically, I'm just looking for advice & recommendations for what's best for him to get started.

ScouserInExile has already recommended the G920 which seems to be the cheapest option ( aside from ones without Force Feedback ) but quite a lot of the reviews indicate that the pedals are stiff, and he's on the small side for a 10 year old so I don't want him to get annoyed if he can't press it properly.

I also hadn't considered that I'd probably need to mount it to something while he played either but jonathanhoey ( who told me there was an actual thread! ) mentioned https://www.wheelstandracing.com/ which isn't too expensive.

Anyone got any other advice before I proceed, either in terms of alternative wheels / stands or experience of having bought something for their kids?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, ph0rce said:

I should have searched before I started a topic in ATF about wheels, silly me.

Essentially my 10 year old son has asked for a wheel / pedals for Christmas, he mainly plays Forza Horizon on the Xbox but I can see how he will soon move onto more 'serious' racing games.

So basically, I'm just looking for advice & recommendations for what's best for him to get started.

ScouserInExile has already recommended the G920 which seems to be the cheapest option ( aside from ones without Force Feedback ) but quite a lot of the reviews indicate that the pedals are stiff, and he's on the small side for a 10 year old so I don't want him to get annoyed if he can't press it properly.

I also hadn't considered that I'd probably need to mount it to something while he played either but jonathanhoey ( who told me there was an actual thread! ) mentioned https://www.wheelstandracing.com/ which isn't too expensive.

Anyone got any other advice before I proceed, either in terms of alternative wheels / stands or experience of having bought something for their kids?

Thanks.

Are you open to second hand and is it purely for xbox?

As a starter wheel you can’t go wrong with a Logitech G920 and it may well pop up on Black Friday deals - it’s often a chunk cheaper than its RRP. A quick look on my Facebook market place and as suspected there are loads on there around the £150 mark including wheel stands (GT Omega that i use and costs around £90 new)  hence me asking about viability of a secondhand one - lots of people will have barely used them and moving on or someone upgrading.

I think a 10 year old should be fine with the brake pedal, its stiff compared to some cheaper sets but can be modified - mostly people want a stiffer pedal but you could mod it softer.

With the stand I would defi look at the GTomega and alike folding stands https://www.gtomega.co.uk/products/classic-steering-wheel-stand I used to have a wheelstand pro many years back and the centre column defi gets in the way a bit IMO and the GTomega I have now is a much better stand (mine has the seat and rails add on - you can upgrade it if needed when son get the bug ;) )