IGNORED

Gonna buy a JPN PS3

Eats hoops and leaves

Ico/Wanda have been out for a couple of weeks in Japan

but really, can't you just browse the shops? You might find some JP exclusives nicely discounted

There's no region locking on PS3 games.

He's in Japan now, so he might as well buy the local versions instead of imports.

I didn't see the "new" bit in front of Ico, but it's not Ico 3 anyway ;)

Remember that you could always pick up some ps1 games as well, there must be some that will ring a bell as you are browsing. It might help if we had an idea what sort of games interest you. I'm assuming text heavy stuff is going to be a bit much?

Well the ps3 doesn't have any native vertical shmups (or horizontal really), but there are plenty on ps1. If you want current gen shmups, you need a 360, simple as that.

I'm sure you could find a couple of games fitting those genre's just from looking. if you aren't sure, grab a shot of the box or the name and then research after.

I have ditched the idea of an Xbox360 because it has such little support here..

That is quite untrue in my opinion. Many exclusives, and all of the decent shooters. Sure, the sections are smaller than the PS3 sections in game shops, but most of the PS3 stuff I will never play due to not being Japanese (my reading skill is not enough to understand all the RPGs). I have both systems, and I have about 10 shooters on the xbox. And an arcade stick. That thing gets all my time. PS3 is for media...

That is quite untrue in my opinion. Many exclusives, and all of the decent shooters. Sure, the sections are smaller than the PS3 sections in game shops, but most of the PS3 stuff I will never play due to not being Japanese (my reading skill is not enough to understand all the RPGs). I have both systems, and I have about 10 shooters on the xbox. And an arcade stick. That thing gets all my time. PS3 is for media...

Can you get Halo over here?

Don't hide it. Be proud. This is Japan FFS!! Time to shine!

That's rather odd, because PSP and PS3 "only" is far from my experience, and I typically frequent just average shops. Maybe Osaka is different? Who knows. I wanted just a PS3 originally, but CAVE'd in and bought a 360 here.