Star Soldier GC

SomeNaiveChump

ok, this warrants an appreciation thread of its own now.

2 minute mode is unbelievably addictive, and for the first time in years*, through gaming, I feel like my arms are going to fall off.

it's only about £18 on import from Play-Asia, I would point anyone with an itchy trigger finger or a penchant for retro gaming squarely in its direction :o

*apart from eyetoy and samba, obviously

What's it like?

it's a vertical shooter on a horizontal screen. bonuses for whole clusters of enemies, linear powering-up, and lots of sparkly stuff on the screen to blast/collect/avoid. manual speed switching.

looks good, sounds great (music changes as you become stronger).

the 'hold down the button' rapid-fire is very weak so you really have to mash that A button, especially on 2-minute mode which is basically 'destroy and avoid as much shit as humanly possible in 2 minutes'

there is a 5-minute mode as well (and of course a normal style game) - don't think my arms could take it though. might buy myself a GC arcade stick now.

manual speed switching.

Does this have any trade-off with firepower? Having got Border Down recently I at first assumed there was a speed/firepower trade-off, I'm not certain though. Is there one in Star Soldier?

no. the firepower is as much as your fingers can push.

I usually leave it on 2/4 or 3/4 speed, I think it's a preference thing although the pros use these speed switch things during manic bullet dodging. :o

the ntsc-uk review

I would say this game was worth a look at £40, but at half that, it's essential for anyone who can run it. :lol:

manual speed switching.

Does this have any trade-off with firepower? Having got Border Down recently I at first assumed there was a speed/firepower trade-off, I'm not certain though. Is there one in Star Soldier?

I usually leave it on 2/4 or 3/4 speed, I think it's a preference thing although the pros use these speed switch things during manic bullet dodging. :o

Hmmm. I don't get that. Surely it would be best to always have it on max speed and just dab the button to move at a slower speed?

Sorry to thread dive but I have two copies brand new for £25 each with delivery.

I've heard nothing but praise from punters in the past.

I'm tempted, but it would have to be after Christmas and I would have to compare with this apparent £18 from play-asia.

the play-asia shipping is like £6 (maybe less if you ordered it on its own, I bought the NTSC Zelda disc as well) and you'd have to wait about a week for it to get here, Marsh's price seems ok.

Sorry to thread dive but I have two copies brand new for £25 each with delivery.

I'm tempted, but it would have to be after Christmas and I would have to compare with this apparent £18 from play-asia.

Whoops, I lied.

I only have the one available :o

manual speed switching.

Hmmm. I don't get that. Surely it would be best to always have it on max speed and just dab the button to move at a slower speed?

the fastest setting on this game shifts you about 1/5 of the screen width with one tiny tap :lol:

It's one of my favourite GC games, in fact all the Famicon collection games are up there with it!

It's just so nice to play a well laid out straight up shooter. It reminds me of the likes of Aleste and Gunhed in that respect and as GOD™ said 2 minute mode is the most addictive fucker ever!

It is a bit rough on the old thumbs though... holding fire isn't half as effective as tapping it quickly and you also need to tap this shield/super weapon too. It's heaven with an arcade stick or one of those digital pads.

The speed thing IS pretty useful during play. When the screen gets hectic putting it a little slower is useful but for collecting powerups and score multipliers you need it on high.

You don't need to use it of course, I can clock the game on 3/4 speed alone. It's not as rock as shit like Battle Garegga or Layer Section.

the play-asia shipping is like £6 (maybe less if you ordered it on its own, I bought the NTSC Zelda disc as well) and you'd have to wait about a week for it to get here, Marsh's price seems ok.

Risk of being hit with import duty too.

Marsh's offer is a good 'un.

Well 2 minute mode and 5 minute mode are a little more intense but the whole game is pretty much as frantic.

The other stages look better, nice variation and despite being polygonal the graphics look nice and old school.

I fucking love the game, it's easily one of those "hidden gems" that people will be talking about in a few years IMO.

It is also available for the PS2, which might bode better since its easier to get a good joystick for the PS2 than it is the GC. I do not recommend you play the game with a joypad (not even the excellent HoriPad) - having to constantly hammer the fire button means that you can't really controll your ship as accurately, because your usually not holding the pad properly.

It is also available for the PS2, which might bode better since its easier to get a good joystick for the PS2 than it is the GC. I do not recommend you play the game with a joypad (not even the excellent HoriPad) - having to constantly hammer the fire button means that you can't really controll your ship as accurately, because your usually not holding the pad properly.

yes, this is true (unless you have it nailed down :ph34r: )

I will seek out a GC arcade stick now I think.