IGNORED

Motorsports - get involved! Racing is life, everything before or after is just waiting...

linkster

Race was today. Was accused of sandbagging as I was slowest overall in the two heats that sets the reversed grid out of a group of 12.

baac4fa9d77fece0934d292cb03730e3.jpg

And 3rd fasted lap. No idea why it took so long to click but I basically knocked about 3 seconds off my lap time and the graph of my race showed me getting quicker and quicker once I figured out how to get it to hit the apex and not spin it on heavy braking.

Trying to trail brake into corners was also a stupid idea, I had stopped that by the race.

I quite enjoyed that, would consider doing it again. Much better than the indie karting that was my only previous experience.

Lap record is 32s and I went from 39s to 35.6 in the three sessions. Fastest guy there (knew the owner, had his own suit etc) was 34s. Fairly sure I was headed under 35 but ran out of laps.

Shame it took the two heats before the race to figure out how to brake hard without spinning and how to get the kart to the apex I was aiming for. My biking skills helped me know where I should be, but not how to put the kart there lol.

Still, loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone interested in a D90 at Daytona MK on the 18th of July?

Basically it's a 15minute practice then 90 minute race as a team of 2,3 or 4. (So it can be pretty cheap with 4). It's £140 for the kart (split however you like). You manage your own team, the only requirement is that every driver must do at least a lap during the practice.

I'm entering with a work chum, we'll probably have a couple more teams from my office which I might be able to fit you in but I'm hoping for an rllmuk superteam, if only to hear the Daytona PA read out "Team Bummed In the Gob"

• 1 year later...

Hoping you guys might be able to help here. I've decided I want to get a Racing B License. Not necessarily with an immediate aim to go racing (although that would be great) but more as something to accomplish for myself while having a fun day out ragging some cars around a track. 

With that in mind are there any courses you can recommend? Silverstone is not too far from me so Ive been looking on their site. They offer a full day course for just shy of £600, but I'm not clear how much actual driving that entails (looks like they use Megane Renaultsports). 

Does anyone have any personal experience of doing an ARDS course? Any recommendations? 

On 5/28/2015 at 10:24 PM, Dudley said:

Anyone interested in a D90 at Daytona MK on the 18th of July?

Basically it's a 15minute practice then 90 minute race as a team of 2,3 or 4. (So it can be pretty cheap with 4). It's £140 for the kart (split however you like). You manage your own team, the only requirement is that every driver must do at least a lap during the practice.

I'm entering with a work chum, we'll probably have a couple more teams from my office which I might be able to fit you in but I'm hoping for an rllmuk superteam, if only to hear the Daytona PA read out "Team Bummed In the Gob"

I'll check if I can do it :)

Edit: 18th is a Monday - is it an evening thing?

4 hours ago, Marmite said:

Hoping you guys might be able to help here. I've decided I want to get a Racing B License. Not necessarily with an immediate aim to go racing (although that would be great) but more as something to accomplish for myself while having a fun day out ragging some cars around a track. 

With that in mind are there any courses you can recommend? Silverstone is not too far from me so Ive been looking on their site. They offer a full day course for just shy of £600, but I'm not clear how much actual driving that entails (looks like they use Megane Renaultsports). 

Does anyone have any personal experience of doing an ARDS course? Any recommendations? 

Spend the money doing some track days or similar. The only point of doing an ARDS course is to get the bit of paper. There is no value in doing it for 'fun'.

• 1 month later...

Well I did the Silverstone ARDS course yesterday anyway, and it was really bloody good!

We got a load of time in the Meganes on the international layout of the track. 3 practice sessions with the instructor in total, each around 20 mins and then a final session where my driving was assessed while doing 3 laps without any feedback. 

Pleased to say I passed both driving and written parts of the test and am now able to send off for my national B license. :D I had been a bit concerned about my lack of track time. I've done a few karting things here and there and one track experience at Thruxton many years ago. They had encouraged me when booking to get track time wherever I could if possible (they didnt have any available space at Silverstone so it didnt feel like a cynical sales technique). In the end I actually felt like my experiences gaming really helped me through. 

I've always loved driving games and started playing them with a wheel about 6 years ago. Braking for Stowe after the Hangar Staight, feeling the rear go light as the weight transferred to the front of the car didn't freak me out or feel alien. I knew what to do because I know that feeling from Project Cars. It also helped that I was able to check the track layout on the game the night before. So yeah, yay games! 

The other bits of the day were taken up with a skid pan session in a Megane road car (a bit meh, but interesting I suppose) and ragging a Catherham around a windy track set up in a car park (designed to get us used to drifting and have some fun doing donuts). I wasn't expecting much from this but the Caterham was a totally different beast - so easy to get the back end out under power and get some drifts going (something I've never done before). I wasn't holding out much hope for being able to nail the donut around a single cone at the end of the course but actually managed to pull out a bit of a stonker after a couple of tries :wub: 

All in all a pretty amazing day. The sun stayed was shining throughout which made it even better. Took a few pics below for anyone interested (or at least I would post them if I could figure out how! Got them on Imgur, what the hell do I need to do?!). 

• 1 year later...

excuse the bump, but my son drove his first petrol kart today, at a friends birthday party at some place in Streatham / Mitcham

WP_20180429_006.thumb.jpg.b023145c7480a1328b1e0c07041b3a35.jpg

qualified 7th, finished 7th... 3rd fastest lap

WP_20180429_008.thumb.jpg.707449b3a9b4a4dad54da92e1cd225d1.jpg

now he wants his birthday party there as well.. Even after his big spill that buried the nose of the cart in the tyre wall, up to the steering column.

WP_20180429_007.thumb.jpg.4b54ecbdb52021bcc73633a5ba8e2fd0.jpg

which brings me to my point: The most tragic thing I saw today was a dad in racing overalls with 9 kids in tow.

I shouldn't take a drive at my sons party, should I? No one should be that competitive dad, when he wants to race with his friends right?

It's been a while since I raced. Maybe I should arrange something at work instead...

Best days you'll ever have. We don't do karting but my eldest could turn his hand to it, is decent on a quad, to the point where I'm trying to rustle up the £2k required for a Yamaha 125. Plan then is to move to something else with 4 wheels. He still has ambition to drive Ginetta's of all things!

• 2 weeks later...

After many many years of threatening to compete in the flora road trial, I finally got entered. It's 60 miles of road and trail round parts of Cornwall that I never knew existed. You drive to a special test and see if you can launch your mobile sofa up an incline that most people can't stand on, let alone drive up. I had basically no idea where I was going, but was lucky enough to tag on to 4 other guys who had a pretty decent sense of direction from the instructions we'd been given. There's nothing quite like bombing along in a 'pack' of like minded individuals while you attempt some reasonably difficult kickstart type trails. I dropped 18 points, which at a first attempt, I'm quite pleased with. Sadly while that shames 95% of the competition, the quads made it look slightly embarrassing as the winner scored a paltry 2 points over 22 sections. I made a few basic errors, and had to step off at one point to prevent the quad rolling over, my fault as I'd put way too much steering lock on! We did enjoy watching the bikes struggle like fuck at some of the stop start climbs which we completed with ease.

There were some cars involved including a Porsche 924 that looked like it had high rise scaffolding nailed to the underside of it. A fitting send off for what could be argued, is a shit car from Porsche. They were on a slightly different route to us, which is a shame as I'd love to have seen the E46 BMW getting some big air.....

I ended up giving a fellow rider a seater for the afternoon after his quad lunched a drive shaft on a speed test in the morning. The result of which was a loose bolt parting company with the rear rack at some point in the afternoon, which was the only damage suffered by my quad all day. I'd definitely do it again, though I'd probably remove the second seat off my quad, and look to do it something a little less 'American' in build. I turned up in a hummer, while everyone else was driving a series 1 landrover......

31953314_10155742338607979_5532023215615901696_n.jpg

Any recommendations for buying a kart? We have a track near me and now I have some disposable income (not a lot) I fancy getting into it a bit before I am to old to climb in the bloody thing.  No idea where to start though (I may have asked this question before in here so apologies if I did!)

• 1 month later...

so his birthday came around, and we had the karting booked:

qualified third in #36, placed in #33 for the race... finished 3rd with the third fastest lap

image.thumb.png.f49f607ef81c8a9b71ba03a119f8e943.png

kaaaaart.thumb.jpg.4e883c31cacd6f3789fafdc8c09fad9a.jpg

It was the same kart as his first race (above)!

Edited by SeanR