IGNORED

Transformers 4: Age of Extinction - Mark Wahlberg to star

Goose

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I do rather appreciate how Optimus Prime is a scathing example of American 'heroism' taken to its logical extreme like some kind of vile giant alien robot Tea Partier, fighting against Mega/Galvatron who is literally a product of Red China's labour and whose first words are to urge his brothers to rise up in rebellion and his main aim in the film is to seize control of the means of (Transformers) production - Mega/Galvatron is a revolutionary robot communist so of course he's the 'bad' guy. Lockdown as a nihilist in the service of some mysterious unknowable god being(s) who Prime vows to find and destroy is just the icing on the cake.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I finally got round to watching this and thought it was OK. Still not great but I at least enjoyed some of the action, wasn't as tedious as 3 at least.

I will say though that my favourite moment that I absolutely love was

When they were running away from the Decepticons and the annoying sidekick fella got fucking roasted whilst running behind Marky Mark and his daughter. I almost cheered as I fucking hated him right from the start and found him incredibly irritating. Put me in a good mood for the rest of the film

Watched this on a plane. Fell asleep twice. It's not that it's bad (even though it is), it's just incredibly boring, which is some achievement for a film featuring giant robots smashing each other in the face and Stanley Tucci and Mark Wahlberg.

• 3 weeks later...

Transformers Cinematic Universe Confirmed - den of geek

As more Transformers films arrive, the reviews have been getting increasingly hostile. And yet the box office takings have remained powerful (and that's quite the understatement), with the hugely maligned Transformers: Age Of Extinction crossing the $1bn mark at the worldwide box office (aided by $300m from Chinese cinemas).

It's been a certainty for some time that Transformers 5 was on the way, and more recently, it's been revealed that Paramount is developing a Transformers movie universe too. Brian Goldner, the president and CEO of Hasbro, has given an update too, as part and parcel of his latest financial reports.

"Our plan right now with the studio and filmmakers, you may have read something about some writers being hired", he said. "We have in fact brought in [Akiva Goldsman, as had been reported] to lead a group of writers to really create a strategic plan around Transformers - we think there's any number of stories to be told".

That appears to be confirmation of the Transformers movie universe right there.

Moving on, he added that "it's a brand that's been around for 30 years with amazing canon and mythology. We would expect the sequel to the Transformers movie to happen in 2017".

Originally, it was thought that Paramount was to push Transformers 5 for 2016, but that was increasingly looking like a tight turnaround. It's feasible anyway that the studio is waiting for Michael Bay, who is currently working on the drama 13 Hours. It's not clear yet if Bay will direct the next Transformers film, but there's no way he's not getting first refusal.

Mark Wahlberg is expected to return for Transformers 5. More on the movie as we hear it

There's a really creepy paedoy-incest vibe between Wahlberg's character and his daughter - for one thing, she isn't a character, more a nice pair of legs whose only duty is to look hot and inconvenience her dad at important plot points, because, hey, that's what women do. Anyway, he goes on and on about 'protecting her', telling her what to wear, is obsessed with her tight shorts that are ogled at by the camera in extreme close up from behind several times, he lives alone with her in the middle of nowhere in a remote compound and doesn't let her see 'boys' or go out of his sight unless given explicit permission, threatening to kill any man who comes near her... His obsessive relationship with his daughter is one of the central plots of the film and it's so fucking weird. I was starting to think he was supposed to be one of these guys like Ariel Castro who kidnapped young girls and brought them up in captivity, it's honestly that sleazy. WTF.

Saw this last night, and while I agree the film itself is a bit boring and way way over long, this paragraph above is just a load of over the top crap and probably says more about your own weird/sordid outlook on these situations than Bays own issues!!

Only thing I could add is that Wahlberg still doesn't really look old enough to have a daughter that age, but that's just bad casting.

• 1 year later...

I put this on in the background while I do some work today and it's remarkable, at least in these opening moments, how reluctant it seems to be to show anyone actually transforming. Half the time it just cuts from a shot with a robot to a scene with a car and they play some sort of transforming sound overlapping the two. :lol: Did Bay just forget to shoot anything for those bits?

I realise I'm a big late to this party, but setting aside story and character, because there isn't any, or the loads of stupid little inconsistencies that show nobody especially cared, or the fact that it's not so much edited as just kind of spliced together...

...why did nobody warn me about how cheap this movie looks? It's glossy, sure, the same way a car advert is glossy, but it's all just people in offices indoors talking to one another or a bunch of empty roads or abandoned factories with CGI and the "hero" cars on them. There's not one shot in there where I think "boy, that must've taken some doing". It has the same settings and set-ups as a 1980s B-picture.

How did they spent $100m+ on this? Did CGI get really expensive? Was that how much it costs to persuade people to be in this?

Are they moving the franchise into all this cosmic stuff so that they can just do away with live action entirely and just do CGI movies?