Adventure Time With Finn & jake

• 2 weeks later...

Also, there's a review on Netflix that says the final four episodes of season 2 are out of order. Netflix have them in this order...

Video Makers

Mortal Folly

Mortal Recoil

Heat Signature

When it should be...

Heat Signature

Video Makers

Mortal Recoil

Mortal Folly

Is that true?

• 1 month later...

Probably courting negs here, but I didn't get it either. Is the first episode the sugar zombies or is there some actual setup? Is it supposed to be funny? (I don't mean this in a snarky way, just that I genuinely don't know if it is or not. If it is supposed to be humorous, I guess it's not the sort of thing I find funny).

Watched the first episode last week with a couple of friends after seeing it mentioned here. They thought I had lost the plot and said these people that said it was good.. Where they on drugs? ( probably).

It seemed ok, very random. Dunno if I'd watch More but can see the appeal.

well i just watched the episode someone's posted above claiming it's a "masterpiece" (which is about the 6th episode of adventure time I've tried) and yeah it's... yeah.

maybe we're dead inside.

I think it does take a while to click, but once it does, oh boy. I don't think it's the weirdness or randomness that attracts people either (well, not most people anyway). Why I love it, is that underneath all crazy stuff, you have an extremely well realized cast of characters with interesting, beautiful relationships. Jake and Finn can be jerks to each other sometimes, but you know that they're best buds. It feels more genuine than so much else that's out there.

To put it in context- I love Mad Men. Adore it. Both it and Adventure Time are two of the few shows that have made me well up due to honest, beautiful character moments. It's that good. I think anyway.

As with any of these things, it's not for everyone. But in this case, it makes me sad :(

• 1 month later...

The new season continues to be superb. It has been showcase of everything that's good in Adventure Time.

An episode written, directed and storyboarded by Masaaki Yuasa, who has done various anime shows. Extremely weird, one-off episode, but beautiful to look at and amazingly scored.

An episode that had almost no Finn or Jake at all, instead focussing on a worm called Shelby, who lives inside Jake's violin. His bum gets cut off and turns into a living thing, and goes off to fight a rat king or something.

And an episode that's just Finn and Jake versus a big tree god.

I love this fucking show.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just getting into this now and can join in the near universal acclaim. Marvelly marvelously brilliant, effortlessly surreal and just so damn random and psychedelic and funny.

Currently near the end of series 1 streaming at watchcartoononline.com

I luurve it.

Just getting into this now and can join in the near universal acclaim. Marvelly marvellously brilliant, effortlessly surreal and just so damn random and psychedelic and funny.

Currently near the end of series 1 streaming at watchcartoononline.com

I luurve it.

• 10 months later...

I caught some of these on CN, while on holiday in Turkey, and I totally got it on my second attempt at watching it.

Especially

Princess Monster Wife, where she's described as being made from "lady parts" :D

What have you done?

and Little Dude.

Season 1 is on Amazon Prime.

• 3 months later...

Really not liking the new season. Am I alone in this? Stakes, the Marceline mini-series just concluded and I was expecting a lot of it (expecting it to be centered around Marcy/Simon's backstory) but I was left disappointed. Adventure Time usually does these multi-part epics well.

I'm noticing the quirky writing a lot more. 'I've got a bad feeling in my tums' - I know Adventure Time has always had this but it now seems more prevalent.

Not just you. I think the 'Stakes' mini-series was pretty cack. There's a few nice nuances in places, but it lacked self-reflection compared to most of what has happened before and characters were reduced a fair bit to allow for Marcie to flourish. Except she didn't really, since it was mostly her being a super-powerful vampire. Also far too self-referential - something that Adventure Time usually gets by without.

The best episode is still Marceline's Closet also

• 10 months later...

I watch this with my 6 year old. Can't remember the exact details but the stand out episode for me was the one where ice king was marcelines guardian when younger and he didn't want to use his power (crown?) but had to do it in order to protect her.....

fucking magic. Kids tv treats them like ignorant dicks. Not adventure time.....proper stories and character depth  in spades.

Also Gunter. Daddies little fatty that farts a lot and has a stank booty. That's my youngest that is :)

love. It.

In what other kids to show would Neptr be a thing. It was a fucking throw away single episode idea. Now it's like r2d2 ffs.

appreciate I haven't seen a lot of episodes so no doubt he is now some sort of mutant meta-character.

also 'peppermint butler'

fuck me what are the character creation team on. Unbelievably creative.

20 hours ago, sid said:

I watch this with my 6 year old. Can't remember the exact details but the stand out episode for me was the one where ice king was marcelines guardian when younger and he didn't want to use his power (crown?) but had to do it in order to protect her.....

Simon singing the Cheers theme was glorious.