IGNORED

Batman: The Animated series and stuff

Ok, Arkham City has got me interested in more than just the movies and the occasional graphic novel. I want more Batman!! And I reckon the animated series and spin-off mini-movies are what I need. But where do I start?

You mean the series from the '90s? The easiest would be to start at the beginning and maybe fit in Mask of the Phantasm film in between season 2 and 3. Or, seeing as you are starting totally afresh you could try this chronological order.

The remaining two films, Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero and Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman are probably not really worth bothering with (although if you get through the rest you might as well finish the set).

I'm in the same position, wanting to get more of a Batman fix so ordered seasons 1 and 2 of TAS and downloaded all the animated films. Except for Mask of the Phantasm, the series seems superior to the films in all respects.

Really want to try getting into the graphic novels too, so got The Dark Knight Returns to start with, am 40 pages in and not really sure what to think, never read comics before. I seem to focus too much on the words and not really the pictures, but I guess that's normal for a first read through.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Batman-Animated-DVD-Region-NTSC/dp/B0007XG43W

furthers seasons are easily available through Amazon and you can buy a dvd player from tesco for about 20 quid you can remote hack for multi-region.

Also

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies is worth a punt as well as Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, I did like Batman Year One too. I did like Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths that had some good Batman moments.

Now if we were talking Graphic Novels I'd more help to you.

Really want to try getting into the graphic novels too, so got The Dark Knight Returns to start with, am 40 pages in and not really sure what to think, never read comics before. I seem to focus too much on the words and not really the pictures, but I guess that's normal for a first read through.

I'm really not a fan of The Dark Knight Returns. Miller's art style is, for me, appalling; and I didn't like the story itself, it's too 'out there' for my liking. The Long Halloween is still my favourite, I've read it a few times and it's a great read, every time.

Back on-topic, thanks for the replies everyone! :hug:

Ta, just bought these from Amazon. It's been ages since I've watched the Animated Series, and there's bound to be a few I missed.

BTW, can anyone tell me if Batman Beyond is worth picking up? I only ever saw a couple of episodes, but they weren't too bad.

I'm really not a fan of The Dark Knight Returns. Miller's art style is, for me, appalling; and I didn't like the story itself, it's too 'out there' for my liking.

Never really thought of Dark Knight Returns as being 'out there'. Anyhoo, it looks positively sane next to its sequel, Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Ta, just bought these from Amazon. It's been ages since I've watched the Animated Series, and there's bound to be a few I missed.

BTW, can anyone tell me if Batman Beyond is worth picking up? I only ever saw a couple of episodes, but they weren't too bad.

I never thought it was as consistently good - but it had it's moments. The "Return of the Joker" movie is brilliant though. And bloody dark for a "kids" cartoon. They had to make a less dark version, and I believe even then they had to censor it to hell to show on ITV!

I never thought it was as consistently good - but it had it's moments. The "Return of the Joker" movie is brilliant though. And bloody dark for a "kids" cartoon. They had to make a less dark version, and I believe even then they had to censor it to hell to show on ITV!

Yeah, that was my fear really, whether it would be consistently good. Of the few episodes I saw, the one that sticks in my mind is where the older, gammy legged Bruce Wayne puts on an experimental cyber bat suit, and comes to the rescue of Terry.

The new Batman being called "Terry" always struck me as kind of funny as well. :lol:

Ive got to say, I've watched all the series of TAS, all the movies and read a buttload of Batman comics (bought Arkham City last Friday and finished it Sunday for reference), so I'm a bit of a Batman fan and I REALLY rate Batman Beyond, it captures a large amount of things I think are great about the character and I personally found it to be pretty consistent.

Whilst I enjoyed the Return of the Joker (it's the only Beyond I've seen) I was put off by how boring and stereotyped Terry appeared to be, and his enemies just seem like a bunch of weedy kids, nothing scary or interesting about them on first impressions. Plus, the bits where Batman looks at and swoops over the gloom of Gotham with dignity and grace (my favourite bits!) fall completely flat when Gotham is an unrecognisable futuristic metropolis.

All 4 season sets of B:TAS are worth getting.

Beyond is great, especially as it's in the same continuity like Superman:TAS, Justice League/Unlimited.

Marvel Studios' big screen Avengers universe is very impressive but the 'DCAU'/DC Animated Universe (which took in all the above shows and Static Shock) which ran from 1992 to 2006, is going to be hard to beat as an adaptation of a comic book world.

If Marvel Sudios' TV shows are linked (which they may be with SHIELD agents etc) then they have a shot at being as 'big' as the DCAU.

'Epilogue' still stands as one of my favourite series finales of any show. In fact The Brave and the Bold's series finale was pretty awesome too!

Whilst I enjoyed the Return of the Joker (it's the only Beyond I've seen) I was put off by how boring and stereotyped Terry appeared to be, and his enemies just seem like a bunch of weedy kids, nothing scary or interesting about them on first impressions. Plus, the bits where Batman looks at and swoops over the gloom of Gotham with dignity and grace (my favourite bits!) fall completely flat when Gotham is an unrecognisable futuristic metropolis.

I totally ignored it when it first came out over here until a mate at school told me I was an idiot. I think the first episode I saw was with Mr Freeze making a return and it was so fucking badass I stuck with it. Well worth it.

That and Bruce Wayne is magnificently grumpy and still a badass.

Grab the 1st two seasons of The Animated Series on UK DVD, if they're still going cheap.

I think I paid a £4.99 each, from HMV.com. Bloody bargain. I'll get around to getting the other two on import soon.

Have to admit to having a very soft spot for The Batman. I have all five seasons of that, on region 1 DVD.

I'll pick up The Brave & The Bold, when they stop fannying about with half season sets,(US releases) and 4 episode volumes,(UK releases).

I totally ignored it when it first came out over here until a mate at school told me I was an idiot. I think the first episode I saw was with Mr Freeze making a return and it was so fucking badass I stuck with it. Well worth it.

That and Bruce Wayne is magnificently grumpy and still a badass.

The episode in which

Talia Al-Ghul

makes a return was also pretty fucking awesome.

I thought Terry got a nice moment at the end of Return of the Joker when he knocked him off his game by smack talking him in a way Bruce never would have :lol:

He's a bit more Spidey than Bats in that respect, but he's also a worthy successor by the end.

He does however suffer from a much poorer villain gallery - but then how many other superheroes have anything like as many memorable and interesting villains as Batman?

Justice League is a fantastic watch also - highly recommended.. Superman less so, but it has it's moments too..

You can miss the lesser known spin offs.. Static Shock and Zeta Project though..

There's barely any Batman in it, but the new DC show this year Young Justice (Superboy, Robin, Aqualad, Kid Flash etc..) has been really solid so far..

They really messed up with Beyonds villans, none of them were up to par compared to old Batman's. The best episodes were the one that referred back to his predecessor and I just wish they'd put a few more episodes with say an aging Two Face, better Bane etc. The Superman meetup was a good idea but happened rather too late sadly.