IGNORED

Batman: The Animated series and stuff

They really messed up with Beyonds villans, none of them were up to par compared to old Batman's. The best episodes were the one that referred back to his predecessor and I just wish they'd put a few more episodes with say an aging Two Face, better Bane etc. The Superman meetup was a good idea but happened rather too late sadly.

Yeah I'll look up those episodes but definitely not bothering with the rest.

Watched Under the Red Hood last night, it's a shame about the Joker's voice acting but otherwise it's incredible. Beautiful animation and a great plot that questions a lot of the fundamental elements of the Batman. Would say I preferred this to Return of the Joker for what it's worth.

The animated series is where it's at though, a fiver for the 28 episode box sets is just insane value.

Is tha animated series suitable for a 7 year-old? I am tempted to get it afor, ahem, him as a Christmas stocking filler.

To give a frame of reference, he enjoys Ren and Stimpy, and as a result has asked for "Log" for Christmas and Birthday gifts to bemused grandparents.

I was about 7 when it was first shown in the UK. At that age Two-Face scared me (especially the initial reveal of his scarrng), but other than that I loved it.

To give a frame of reference, he enjoys Ren and Stimpy, and as a result has asked for "Log" for Christmas and Birthday gifts to bemused grandparents.

:lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watche year one and also want more batman. So I'm looking to start watching Batman animated stuff. What I can gather is I need to watch

TAS, Beyond and then The brave and the Bold. What about "The Batman" and "The New Batman Adventures"

Inbetween all that I need to get

Mask of the phantasm

Return of the joker (beyond)

Under the red hood

Mystery of the batwoman

Gotham Knight

Sub Zero

The Batman vs. Dracula? (sounds daft)

Where do the films sit in relation to the animated series though? Does that time line posted explain this? Also any other films I need to get?

Also get the Batman/Superman Movie (based on World's Finest and part of TAS/Superman Animated Series continuity).

The DC Animated Originals has the excellent Justice League : Crisis On Two Earths and Justice League : New Frontier. It also has the very good Superman/Batman : Public Enemies and Superman/Batman : Apocalypse.

The Wonder Woman animated movie is excellent too, nothing to do with Batman, but it's the best of all the DC Animated Original movies.

The Wikipedia page is probably the best resource for info on the DC Animated Originals - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Universe_Animated_Original_Movies

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really, really, want a new animted Batman that bridges the gap between Justice League Unlimited and Batman Beyond. In my own mind it would be an adaptation of the Hush story arc crossed with No Man's Land.

It would be awesome.

They've just put the whole season up on Lovefilm/Amazon Prime streaming. I've watched a couple of episodes but I just can't get past the fugly CGI. I get the impression that the character designs would work fine animated traditionally but everything just looks barren, cheap and distorted when CG'd up. I think Cartoon Network pulled it after half a season and the rest of the episodes sneaked out on the blu-ray release.

It's no Brave And The Bold, certainly.

They've just put the whole season up on Lovefilm/Amazon Prime streaming. I've watched a couple of episodes but I just can't get past the fugly CGI. I get the impression that the character designs would work fine animated traditionally but everything just looks barren, cheap and distorted when CG'd up. I think Cartoon Network pulled it after half a season and the rest of the episodes sneaked out on the blu-ray release.

It's no Brave And The Bold, certainly.

Yeah, the CGI is awful. Its so bad.

On a similar tip, new Batman Beyond by Darwyn Cooke.

https://movies.yahoo.com/video/batman-beyond-short-film-192211473.html

Can't get it to embed for some reason...

Let's see if I've got this right... in that final shot, from the right we have:

- Beware the Batman (had to check this one, having never seen it!)

- The Batman

- Brave and the Bold

- Dark Knight Returns

- Michael Keaton

- Adam West

- Original Bob Kane version

Son of Batman is a bit of a style departure, but a fairly welcome one.

It's a little bloodier than expected, like Under the Red Hood, and seems aimed more squarely at the teen/manchild market than some of the softer releases.

The new Batman VO artist sounds a little Charlie Sheen at times, but there was no way I wasn't going to watch this. I love all Batman. Although I haven't watched this CGI effort that keeps getting mentioned...

I watched Son of Batman last night and thought it was awful and I'm a huge Batman animation fan. The voice acting is dire with everyone seeming to rush through their lines and none of the emotion included.

The blood was interesting to see as they don't usually go so far but for the most part there were lots of occasions where it dipped to less quality animation than the TV series. Very poor.

I watched Son of Batman last night and thought it was awful and I'm a huge Batman animation fan. The voice acting is dire with everyone seeming to rush through their lines and none of the emotion included.

The blood was interesting to see as they don't usually go so far but for the most part there were lots of occasions where it dipped to less quality animation than the TV series. Very poor.

Yeah its garbage, DC animation has really lost some of its polish nowadays.

What's the general consensuses on Tim Burton's old Batman films here then? I fucking loved them and my friend's been trying to convince me they're beyond dog-shit since I've known him.

I know the inaccuracies and plot holes - but that doesn't stop them from being great whimsical narrative driven films. Out of the live-action Batman films I'd definitely rate them higher than Begins and maybe even Rises, Dark Knight still reigns the top spot for me though.

I'm not a massive comic book reader which my mate uses against me but I've probably read a good selection of the best stories and I've seen nearly all the animated stuff, I'd say Burton's faithful enough whilst putting his own spin on it.

Yeah its garbage, DC animation has really lost some of its polish nowadays.

Agreed.. this one was pretty disappointing.. especially coming after the dreadful Justice League: War (though to be fair it was nowhere near as bad).. Young Justice remains the last really good DC animated anything..

Not feeling it for the trailer for the next one either.. the upcoming Arkham game universe tale.. It doesn't seem to keep much of the feel or look of the games.

What's the general consensuses on Tim Burton's old Batman films here then? I fucking loved them and my friend's been trying to convince me they're beyond dog-shit since I've known him.

I know the inaccuracies and plot holes - but that doesn't stop them from being great whimsical narrative driven films. Out of the live-action Batman films I'd definitely rate them higher than Begins and maybe even Rises, Dark Knight still reigns the top spot for me though.

I'm not a massive comic book reader which my mate uses against me but I've probably read a good selection of the best stories and I've seen nearly all the animated stuff, I'd say Burton's faithful enough whilst putting his own spin on it.

I'd still put Mask of the Phantasm as my fave Batman film..