IGNORED

Batman: The Animated series and stuff

I watched Son of Batman last night and thought it was awful and I'm a huge Batman animation fan. The voice acting is dire with everyone seeming to rush through their lines and none of the emotion included.

The blood was interesting to see as they don't usually go so far but for the most part there were lots of occasions where it dipped to less quality animation than the TV series. Very poor.

You're over-egging it by a mile here. It may not have been the best example of animation, but it did a good enough job of telling a decent second tier story.

Being that I don't get round to the comics apart from the big ones, it's also the only other place to get this story, as far as I can tell.

MDY - how did you like Year One compared to MotP?

MDY - how did you like Year One compared to MotP?

It was fine..but it's little more than a straight adaptation of the book.. A little dry and just lacking in ..something to enliven it.

Phantasm was something else.. it has THE Batman moment in it.. where he puts on the cowl for the first time.. still amazing.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

It's pretty good - albeit a very condensed, very loose adaptation of the Court of Owls storyline..

Favors Damian a lot - even considering his upbringing, he's a bit ~too~ good in combat, considering his age and relative lack of strength..

Enjoyed it a lot overall though.. Way better than the other recent DC animated ones..

Batman Assault on Arkham is "out there". Kevin Conroy is back as Batman, the animation is pretty good, but the story is sadly average

Started watching this on amazon prime yesterday. Its not brilliant, but how they handled KGBeast...

• 2 months later...

Bruce Timm's been working on something called Justice League: Gods & Monsters, an animated film (with accompanying shorts) that's an Elsewords-type re-imagining of the DC trinity.

Trailer:

Interview with him:
http://www.superherohype.com/features/343097-bruce-timm-talks-justice-league-gods-and-monsters-suicide-squads-harley-quinn-and-more

That made me start to think about the silver age versions of The Flash and Green Lantern, and how when they brought them back they kept the name and the gimmick of the golden age versions of those characters and threw everything else out. They had new costumes, their powers worked differently, they had new alter egos, and I thought that was the most successful reboots in the history of comics and I thought wouldn’t it be exciting if they did that with the entire line of DC Comics. I knew they weren’t going to do that because you can’t, that’s just too huge a financial gamble. It made me start thinking though, if I was going to “reimagine Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman,” the three biggest, most important characters in the DC Universe, what would they be? So I didn’t want to throw everything out so I want to keep it at least tangentally related to the in-continuity DCU.

And if you want to know exactly what the twists on the three characters are...

So Superman is from Krypton like the traditional Superman, but I thought, wow, okay, if his dad was not Jor-El, if his dad was Zod, that changes everything. Bang, everything’s different. That works, what about Batman? So Bruce Wayne’s parents stayed home and watched TV that night, they didn’t go out and get gun downed in crime alley, so Bruce Wayne never became Batman. So who is Batman? I was thinking, well back in the old days of “Batman: The Animated Series,” several times I tried to do “Batman as a vampire” stories, and every time got shot down. The world was not ready for it. This was in pre-Buffy days. Vampires were not allowed on children’s television back then. I remembered that and thought “Batman as a vampire would be kind of cool,” and then again, trying to keep it somewhat related to the established DCU I remembered the Kirk Langstrom character, who in the traditional DCU is Man-Bat. So I said instead of Man-Bat, he’s a vampire Batman. For Wonder Woman we kind of went around and around on her for a while. WE tried to stick close to the Greek mythology origin of it, and for one reason or another it just wasn’t working. It wasn’t different enough from the established version of the character, and believe it or not I had already drawn a version of her that looked like a Jack Kirby character, she looked like she could have been in a Thor comic or something. Then Alan Burnett, who wrote the movie and developed the web series with me, said “She could be one of the New Gods,” I said “Ah! Of course! That’s completely different!” So we kept asking, what do she have to be? The name Wonder Woman, if she’s not from Greek mythology and is not related to that, what is it about her that makes her Wonder Woman? The only thing that really matters is that she’s a woman, and that she’s super strong and a warrior, everything else can be different, so when he mentioned the New Gods I thought, yeah, that’s fresh and new.

The first couple of shorts have been released:

... unfortunately, as welcome as it is to see Timm doing new animation, the Batman one in particular kind of comes across a bit grim 'n' edgy for the sake of it, and demonstrates that WB's DC animation generally works better when the creators have to work within at least some restrictions on making it somewhat kid-friendly. The Superman one starts off better (love him scratching the message to the pilot into the jet's canopy!), but then the twist is another "see, this isn't the Supes you're used to - this time he's DARK!"

Timm & Burnett behind this has me in straight away. I thought the end of the Superman short wasn't showing how dark this Superman was (although of course he is) but how dark this version of the DC world is. Obviously very akira esque but reminded me of thegreat JLU epilogue episode also.

The annoying this about the Superman one is its just the evil Supes and Doomsday story that Timm did back in JLU days. Very disappointed to see a rehash like that, expected more. Great to see they've gone back to that animation style though, its awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got round to watching Mask of the Phantasm, almost four years after starting this thread. Not bad at all.

Damn good movie, Batman Beyond Return of the Joker is better though but you have to invest in the TV series beforehand which is pretty great once you get over the fact it isn't the typical Batman.

Damn good movie, Batman Beyond Return of the Joker is better though but you have to invest in the TV series beforehand which is pretty great once you get over the fact it isn't the typical Batman.

ROTJ is still my fave Batman movie :)

I thought the adaptations of Year One and TDKR were great so really happy they are completing the '80s Bat Trilogy' with Killing Joke :D

Comic Con announcements:

The Killing Joke - Bruce Timm is adaptating the classic book along with a new 15 min prologue..

Batman: Bad Blood - original story which introduces Batwoman (Kate Kane) into the DCAU..

Justice League Vs Titans - and one introducing the Teen Titans..

I watched the Return of the Joker movie and really liked it, despite never having seen an episode of Batman Beyond of the Future.

Bruce Timm's been working on something called Justice League: Gods & Monsters, an animated film (with accompanying shorts) that's an Elsewords-type re-imagining of the DC trinity.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11j7WUFaTVg

Interview with him:

http://www.superherohype.com/features/343097-bruce-timm-talks-justice-league-gods-and-monsters-suicide-squads-harley-quinn-and-more

And if you want to know exactly what the twists on the three characters are...

The first couple of shorts have been released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpu6yPAFHrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYSxN4ezhO4

... unfortunately, as welcome as it is to see Timm doing new animation, the Batman one in particular kind of comes across a bit grim 'n' edgy for the sake of it, and demonstrates that WB's DC animation generally works better when the creators have to work within at least some restrictions on making it somewhat kid-friendly. The Superman one starts off better (love him scratching the message to the pilot into the jet's canopy!), but then the twist is another "see, this isn't the Supes you're used to - this time he's DARK!"

This is out there on that Cartoon thing in HD.

It's decidedly (below) average, but killed an hour or so.

Speaking of killing, the body count seemed a little high for a cartoon - easily reaching triple figures.

On the bright side it had Dexter, The T-1000 and Stephen Hawking in it....

Hey.

I think I've only ever seen one animated film of Batman before (can't even recall which one) but which films would you say come recommended? Currently 'acquiring' Gotham Knight which is that anthology thing but was wondering what else I should see?

EDIT: Oh and maybe the hivemind would also be so kind as to tell me which comics are worth reading? Is new 52 any good? Should I start there? Help a brother out!

Hey.

I think I've only ever seen one animated film of Batman before (can't even recall which one) but which films would you say come recommended? Currently 'acquiring' Gotham Knight which is that anthology thing but was wondering what else I should see?

EDIT: Oh and maybe the hivemind would also be so kind as to tell me which comics are worth reading? Is new 52 any good? Should I start there? Help a brother out!

Only Synder and Capullo Batman run is any good.

As for animated, you really need to see Bruce Timm and Dini's Batman The Animated Series, its really the best interpretation of Batman on screen ever. The movies are meh, the only decent one would be the Dark Knight Returns only because I love that story really because everything pales in comparison to the animated series.

Only Synder and Capullo Batman run is any good.

As for animated, you really need to see Bruce Timm and Dini's Batman The Animated Series, its really the best interpretation of Batman on screen ever. The movies are meh, the only decent one would be the Dark Knight Returns only because I love that story really because everything pales in comparison to the animated series.

WTF man! There's some amazing films! Mask of the Phantasm, Year One, the Freeze one, Return of the Joker....

Even the recent "Under the Red Hood" was good, albeit not as spectacular.

Gotham Knight is pretty bobbins though tbh. Get MotP or UtRH.

I haven't seen he recent "Son of Batman" though.

WTF man! There's some amazing films! Mask of the Phantasm, Year One, the Freeze one, Return of the Joker....

Even the recent "Under the Red Hood" was good, albeit not as spectacular.

Gotham Knight is pretty bobbins though tbh. Get MotP or UtRH.

I haven't seen he recent "Son of Batman" though.

Mask of the Phantasm and Freeze, I would lump under the TAS banner. Outside of that, DC animation has taken a massive dip in quality. Its worth a watch but everything after TAS is disappointing.

Also Son of Batman is awful.

Is The Animated Series ever going to make its way to BD then or will it forever be on DVD only? The quality online seems to be a bit low.

Don't hold your breath.

Yes, only the first two seasons were released on DVD in the UK, but AFAIK they're not HMV exclusives.

You can stream most of the later seasons and the Justice League/Justuce League Unlimited series (as well as Brave and the Bold!) on Amazon Prime Instant Video.

Mask of the Phantasm and Freeze, I would lump under the TAS banner. Outside of that, DC animation has taken a massive dip in quality. Its worth a watch but everything after TAS is disappointing.

The TAS-banner "Timmverse" isn't perfect, though: Mystery of the Batwoman is not very good.

The Mr Freeze movie is decent, but not exactly the same level as the "Heart of Ice" episode from the animated series. Mask of the Phantasm is excellent.

As for the subsequent stand-alone movies:

* Wonder Woman and Under the Red Hood are definitely the best of those I've seen.

* The New Frontier is fair enough, but somehow misses the magic of the magnificent comic it was based on.

* The Flashpoint Paradox, Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, Superman vs the Elite are OK.

* I've seen Superman: Doomsday and Crisis on Two Earths but remember hardly anything about them!

* Green Lantern: First Flight is pretty dull, and Superman/Batman: Public Enemies is a not-very-interesting parade of character cameos.

If you are going down the Batman series path then you MUST follow it up with the Justice League series.

Agree 100%

B:TAS along with Superman:TAS, Batman Beyond, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited is an amazing run of shows in the same universe spanning 1992 to 2006. The way the shows built on the history and each other was great.