IGNORED

Batman: The Animated series and stuff

Hell yes! It's awesome. In the early eps as the characters are being discovered and Mark Hamill starts to find his feet it just grows and grows continuing into the other series. By the end Timm built a fantastic universe and I envy anyone starting from the beginning. I've still got every episode of the lot sat on my HD, I dig them out every few years :lol:

I quite enjoyed Gotham Knight, it's not a great narrative but some of the chapters look beautiful.

I bought this 5 film box set from amazon a few years ago, for a tenner couldn't complain:

71BMs%2BiDw2L._SL1196_.jpg

Year One, Mask of the Phantasm , Gotham Knight, Under the Red Hood and Mystery of the Batwoman for 2 quid each. Not watched Batwoman but enjoyed all the others.

I want to make a start on the whole series. Is there a good way to get hold of these legitimately, or am I going to have to "do what I do best"?

I'm not too sure about Batman Beyond. It was a bit meh for most of it but I guess it does get a nice finish in the JLU series (which was originally meant to be the JLU show final ever episode!)

Yeh Batman Beyond is non essential but worth watching the pilot to see how Bruce retires etc. I still stick 'Epilogue' as the last DCAU show even though they got another season as it still makes sense due to when it's set. I think 'Epilogue' is one of my favourite last episodes of a show!

Yeh Batman Beyond is non essential but worth watching the pilot to see how Bruce retires etc. I still stick 'Epilogue' as the last DCAU show even though they got another season as it still makes sense due to when it's set. I think 'Epilogue' is one of my favourite last episodes of a show!

The Mr Freeze episode was excellent, I thought. When I was 16. Maybe it hasn't aged well but they spend more time on Freeze than Batman, because he's excellent.

A while ago I put together this list of blog posts that Jaime Weinman wrote about WB's '90s animated series. Mostly he talked about their comedy shows rather than Batman, but there's lots of interesting behind the scenes stuff about their production, some of which affected how the DC comics stuff turned out.

The Freakazoid one includes some comments on why Bruce Timm left that show while it was in development.

Recommended reading for anyone who's at all nostalgic for any of these series!

On the character redesigns for The New Batman Adventures

Superman TAS

The making of Freakazoid

The making of Tiny Toon Adventures (1)

The making of Tiny Toon Adventures (2)

Animaniacs retrospective

Animaniacs after it changed TV networks

Pinky and the Brain

Taz-Mania

1998, The Beginning of the End For WBA: "Batman Beyond, a younger-skewing version of Batman; Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain, a younger-skewing network-mandated re-tool, and Histeria!, which was essentially Animaniacs for younger children and with an FCC-approved educational bent."

Why Tokyo Movie Shinsha did the best animation for WB's shows

The eternal scripts-versus-storyboards debate (familiar to anyone who's ever read an interview or blog post with John K)

Gag credits

A transcript of Pip Pumphandle's rambling story from Animaniacs :D

Just finished watching The Dark Knight Returns (Part 1)

Honestly , I thought it was absolutely incredible. I was grinning throughout. The fight scenes, music, weller's performance...all totally bang on. One of the best things I've watched this year.

Yeah its cracking eh? That last line between batman and superman...

The final encounter in DKR Part 2 between Bats & Supes is incredible. The build, the music, Wellers delivery & those immortal 'final words' all come across just how I imagined all those years ago.

I've no doubt Snyder will try something to ape it in the new movie but more like a B&W version with Bats going "Lolz I beats you innit"

It's amazing yeah. Once again animation gives us the best version of Batman. It's such a good adaptation of the comic and it doesn't even have the luxury of voice over. The mutants sound exactly like I read them in my head years ago too.

"Not him, not now" raises the same hairs as it did reading the book too. Such a great line.

Dunno if it's been mentioned already but Under the Red Hood's a great little bat flick also. Shame Warner are total shit at being consistent with their own catalogue releases, I had to import the German Blu-ray of Hood and Year One!

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...