IGNORED

Batman: The Animated series and stuff

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I hardly ever watch the batman animated films anymore (the series was great though) but i watched Kiling Joke with a couple friends last night and all three of us were a bit disappointed.

The film is very short and i think the story suffers for this. Also, it's a 15 but besides a few adult references there isn't really much to warrant it being a 15. If anything the adult references were put in at awkward times and just seemed forced. The film didn't need them (and where it does need them it avoids it which is odd).

23 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

Hey, you know how they put Batgirl in this? Well, they put something in Batgirl as well.

Hide contents

Batman.

"The thing about this is that it's controversial, so we added more controversy,"

That may be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

• 4 weeks later...

YES!

I largely ignored the dark edgy stuff and my Batman nostalgia is purely limited to the wonderfully daft animations and reruns of the live action TV series, so this could be good. The Independent:

A new animated feature Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders will reunite the cast of the 60s TV series; with voicework from Adam West (Batman), Burt Ward (Robin), and Julie Newmar (Catwoman).  Entertainment Weekly debuted a new trailer for the film, promising a return straight to the self-consciously silly thrills of the show; alongside a tease of the film's villains, including the Joker, Riddler, Penguin, and Catwoman.

TV's original Batman series ran from 1966-68; forever best remembered for its utterly bizarre gadgets, ultra-camp visual aesthetic, and Neal Hefti's iconic "Batman Theme". So, time to grab your shark repellent bat-spay and settle in for some pure, gleeful nostalgia; certainly it's a refreshing alternative to the grim world of DC's cinematic universe, with its unstoppable popularity even inspiring DC to revitalise its style in the Batman '66 comic series. 

Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders will be available from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and DC Entertainment, released on Digital HD on 11 October and Blu-Ray on 1 November.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/08/2016 at 22:59, krenzler said:

Are WB hard at work with a blu-ray box of the '92 animated series or is it something they don't care about? 

Same. I'm not keen on the new 52 Batman with his dull voice and cyborg armour. The Conroy 92 series in 4k is what most fans want. 

Flashpoint Paradox aside, the recent DC efforts have been piss poor. 

1 hour ago, Tofu said:

It be too expensive to remaster.

Is it an aspect ratio thing? 

Edit: Yes they're all 4:3. Hmm... So it'd either be 1:1 with black sidebars or zoomed with missing image.

I'd pay a premium for a proper remaster. I think there's enough fans at this point for it to be worth it, plus they could release each one on netflix then a year later on blu ray (4k).

25 minutes ago, Stevedave said:

Yes they're all 4:3. Hmm... So it'd either be 1:1 with black sidebars or zoomed with missing image.

Then please let it be the former then. Nothing worse than tampering with the original source material.

23 minutes ago, Stevedave said:

Is it an aspect ratio thing? 

Edit: Yes they're all 4:3. Hmm... So it'd either be 1:1 with black sidebars or zoomed with missing image.

I'd pay a premium for a proper remaster. I think there's enough fans at this point for it to be worth it, plus they could release each one on netflix then a year later on blu ray (4k).

Its also because its cell animation, and the transfers are dirty and the cost of cleaning up each episode wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't so many to do. No doubt with the upscale, and correcting errors to cleaning transfers it would far exceed most fan's budget making it economically unviable.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

'Teen Titans: The Judas Contract' is out and is a big improvement on the last few DCAU movies..

Sticks to the overall plot of the original comic in broad strokes (though the cast is slightly different) while making appropriate changes..

Spoiler

..not least of all turning THAT 'relationship' from the original into something less disturbing..(if only slightly..)

Spoiler

In the comic version, 16 year old Terra was having an affair with the much older Deathstroke..

In this animated version, it doesn't happen - rather it's something she believes she wants (being previously traumatised, then dependant on him and grateful for him saving her life) and he uses the prospect of it to manipulate her..

The cast is similar to last year's 'Justice League vs Teen Titans' film, Nightwing/Starfire/Raven/Robin(Damien Wayne)/Beast Boy/Blue Beetle.

The characters that were somewhat neglected last time get far more screen time (and Damien is far less the focus than in it's predecessor and 'Batman vs Robin'.)

Again the tone is fairly adult, certainly more so than the series and most of the other DC animated films - and definitely better handled than the additions made to the Killing Joke!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Batman and Harley is terrible.  Might be the worst animated dc film to date.

It felt more like a parody film than an actual film since the tone was all over the place. Most of the jokes were juvenile. Every time I thought they were going to do something interesting with the characters they ruined it with a joke. The only joke I did like was with Booster Gold and the JL.

• 3 weeks later...