IGNORED

Batman: The Animated series and stuff

On 28/08/2018 at 21:55, Nick R said:

And IGN have a split-screen comparison of the SD and HD versions:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/08/28/batman-the-animated-series-blu-ray-release-date-remastered-digital-opening-credits

The crisp outlines are welcome, but the intro looks wrong with such vivid colours! Particularly those red skies, which seem closer in colour to those seen in The New Batman Adventures.

Also, from the IGN comparison: surely the motion in the opening pan down wasn't originally that jerky? Maybe it's just an artefact of this comparison video, if they used an NTSC DVD suffering from 3:2 pulldown as the source for the SD half, and that's why it looks less smooth than the HD half?

I'll need to dig out my DVDs but I'm sure it wasn't that jerky. You're right about the colours though- the Batmobile is bloody purple in the remaster and everything looks far too bright. I suspect I'll be holding on to my S1-4 DVDs after all.

20 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

I'll need to dig out my DVDs but I'm sure it wasn't that jerky.

I think that jerkiness was an error by IGN (either with the source they used, or the conversion they did), because someone did their own comparison and the original's motion is fine:

9 hours ago, John Edward Gammell said:

Is this like 'Is the dress black and blue,  or white and gold?' 

'Cause I don't see no purple Batmobile. 

1850363660_purplebatmobilethatsnotactuallypurple.png.fc56f0cd7230534b977a2e4e5b2d8f80.png

No. There was a purple tint to the Batmobile on the screen I was using to view the footage (Macbook Pro). Certainly not the darker black I was seeing on the DVD side.

Either way, I prefer the DVD colouring. The Blu-ray looks too bright.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 02/09/2018 at 09:38, Down by Law said:

At 0:45 the building is certainly brighter

image.thumb.png.fd5d045f5de3372d2392176f66dff99c.png

Appalling. The sky is almost pink and the frame has been stripped of atmosphere. The series was drawn on black paper to emphasise a moody, noirish tone and this looks like a junior colourist has ramped up the brightness to expose details without respecting the source material.

I'll probably end up buying it anyway but appalling nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...

Well into the box set now and I'd forgotten just how dark and grim this series was. They don't make them like this anymore!  In fact I've been enjoying it that much I ended up buying an almost complete set of the DC Legends of Batman books.  25 graphic novels winging their way to me soon.

• 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I really need to pick up the Blu-ray set.

It's excellent but make sure you get one of the later newer ones from a store. Some early batches had a tendency to have dodgy discs with some playback issues.

On 20/06/2020 at 00:20, Lorfarius said:

It's excellent but make sure you get one of the later newer ones from a store. Some early batches had a tendency to have dodgy discs with some playback issues.

I assume the newer release will have the digipack packaging? I’m not too fussed about the change in packaging, I’ve always thought book style packaging was rubbish since the original Buffy DVD releases.

• 5 months later...