Top Boy - Channel 4 urban drama - 4 Consecutive Nights -10PM

This got a lot of praise from the BBC2 intelligentsia, so it might be worth a watch, anybody looking forward to this? Starts tonight at 10pm (31/10/2011)

Featuring an ensemble cast of brilliant new talent, Top Boy is Ronan Bennett's new four-part drama about young lives lived on the edge and, for the most part, lived out of sight in east London today.

On London's Summerhouse Estate, lives are lived along lines, and challenges come in all forms, even - especially - for kids.

Internet links to view all 4 episodes:

Youtube 4OD site

4OD

So that was good overall, although the last ep didn't really live up to the promise...it all ended a bit too neatly for my tastes.

One thing I noticed as well, everybody in that show had mobile phones, yet never used them when they needed them. Especially the main kiddy, he was always forgetting he owned a phone.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Came onto Oz Netflix last week as well- it's pretty decent. Don't understand the series though, posts on here(Netflix thread) suggest there are 3 seasons but just the one on Netflix?

Regardless, going to continue  watching this weekend.

Just replied to you in the Netflix thread!

On 18/09/2019 at 14:26, NickC said:

Regarding Top Boy, is the new series a continuation of the Summerhouse one? Only the new series is called 'Top Boy: Season 1' whilst the other ones are called 'Top Boy: Summerhouse' - seasons 1 & 2. They look like different programmes, at least the way that Netflix is listing them.

Should I watch the Summerhouse series first, or is the new Top Boy a new set of characters or a different setup?

Yes. From the imdb page, Dris, Sully, Dushane reprise their roles for series 3, but seems to be generally newer characters overall: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1830379/

You could always backtrack to watch the earlier seasons at a later time after having watched the new season?

Here's more from the soundtrack!:

So I finished this last night, thoughts below

The original series were so good because they didn't glamorise the life, they showed DeShane and Sully to be complete cunts who bullied, coerced, groomed and used young childen who didn't know better. This new series though DeShane and Sully are kind of the protagonists and this changes the dynamic, we are supposed to sympathise and root for these guys, also see Jamie, he's killing and selling drugs to support his family, it verges into the glamorisation of this life that the originals did so well to avoid. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it and there were some very good moments/episodes, particularly all the stuff in Ramsgate that really shone a light on broken Britain, I would have liked to see more of that then the typical gangland feuding bullshit. Looks like they've set the next series up to be Cops v Gangsters too.

• 5 months later...