rllmuk

Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity

• 2 weeks later...

After the massive disappointment of Elysium, I was really hoping Gravity would live up to my high expectations, I'm really pleased to say, it did... and some. Suffice to say it looks incredible, I honestly haven't a clue how they shot it, it's proper magical stuff, the music is sublime, it's unbearably tense in places, even Sandra Bullock was good and I'm not normally a fan. Alfonso Cuarón took a simple plot and knocked it out of the park for its extremely lean 90 minutes running time. Definitely see it in 3D, forget Avatar, this is the movie that actually justifies wearing the glasses.

4.5/5

Absolutely stunning film and truly the performance of Bullock's career, go see it at the biggest screen you can and preferably in 3D. What Cuaron pulls off here is cinematic wizardry that for once justifies the daft glasses and overpriced tickets.

Good nitpicky Bad Astronomy review of the physics/science here:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/10/04/ba_movie_review_gravity.html

Ok major spoilers:

when bullock is caught by the parachute cord and clooney is pulling her away. Why couldn't she just give him a gentle tug towards her and let inertia do the rest?

Yeah I thought that was a bit off too, they'd stopped dead relative to the ISS. Oh well I can take one physics faux pas in such an exquisite film. I'll just pretend Clooney had a TINY bit more gravity pulling him towards earth or something.

This only came to my attention when a friend of mine who is in LA on business for a few weeks mentioned he already seen it twice in that time. He's not one for hyperbole but his excitement has managed to get my interest..

And the odd post I've read on here (I'm reading with my eyes half averted, as it were) has me very excited.

Saw it tonight in IMAX 3D. Definitely a film worth shelling out extra for the IMAX experience- looks amazing, very clean clear image as well. It's a wee bit cheesy in bits though although mostly it's so beautifully done you can forgive some of clunkier bits. And I really did love

the scene where she realises she's just speaking to some random Chinese guy and wants to hear the dogs barking again... that bit had a few tears dribbling down from under my comedy-sized 3D glasses... a lovely moment of someone realising this is the end and appreciating those tiny things in life.

Probably could have done without the bombastic soundtrack at the end, brought back bad memories of The Island's final scene, but, hell, she's just survived a nightmare in space so it seems a bit picky to complain about it.

Good but massive spoiler-filled space physics chat from AICN here- http://www.aintitcool.com/node/64696

Have to agree with everyone else. Saw it in Imax 3D last Sat and was wonderful. A beautiful, touching and emotional film. Even the missus thought it was great and anything with 3D or space in it is a no no usually. :)

Watch it on IMAX with 3D. Although the film was a bit short compared to most blockbusters, you get 90 odd minutes of non stop roller coaster experience.

The friend I took to watch it never experienced IMAX and he was squirming and grabbing the arm rests really hard all the way through.

Sandra Bullock did her best to emulate space queen Sigourney Weaver and George Clooney gave an underrated performance. Probably win best picture when the awards comes round.

Just a small note for those in or around Glasgow. The IMAX at the Science Centre has recently been taken over by Cineworld. As such, the Unlimited card now works for the IMAX. The Glasgow one is one of the rare 'real' IMAXes in the UK, though they've now installed the damned digital projector too. You get a pretty significant discount, a ticket for Gravity is £4ish with an unlimited card, instead of almost £14.

A nice extra bit of value on the unlimited card that, and means I will go to the IMAX way more often now.

• Upvote 3

Definitely see it in 3D, forget Avatar, this is the movie that actually justifies wearing the glasses.

4.5/5

Saw this on IMAX 3D and although the film is very good - on a technical level they really smashed it out the park.

The 3D is astoundingly good and after watching it me and my mate both felt we had just spent the last 90 mins in space!

My only disappointment is that not everyone will see this on IMAX in 3D :(

I'm not sure I "get" this. The trailer makes it look like one of those IMAX films you see at the Science Museum or the Kennedy Space Centre. Nothing to really interest me apart from the director.

The stellar reviews and box office make me thing I'm missing something. No idea what it is though