IGNORED

DjSacks weekly appreciation thread:Streets of Rage

DJ Sack

streora2.gifMDRage2.jpgSor3-1.GIF

Streets of Rage

Another innocent game...until you play it. Featuring 3 characters and a few moves this took the scrolling beat them up to new levels. Using just punch and kick you had to dispatch your foes. With the other Button on the Mega Drives pad being your special move.

The special move used up some of your life energy but was great for clearing a screen, wether it be a powerful upper cut, or getting the police force to shoot missiles onto the area your in, it was great, especially using this latter one while on a high rise building level.

The graphics are functional, the music forgetable but in two player this is great fun.

Streets of Rage 2

This is the pincle of the series, featuring some fantastic levels, such as the begining outside the shops, inside a pub, in the woods and on a suspention bridge. The enemys are full of character from the shady geezers who knife you to the fat blokes who belly bounce you.

The graphics are fantastic and really portray the feeling of the settings, objects are destructable, full of detail and smooth. Picking up weapons such as the knife or an iron bar, or even a baseball bat to batter someone to death with.

Theres 4 characters to pick, and while the special moves are not as stand out as in the previous game they do a lot of damage and show of the characters more realistically.

But the music, it may be keyboard type music, but that first tune is something that'll live on. Theres loads of moves and two players playing can team up with grabs and throws.

Streets of Rage 3

More of the same, slightly better graphics and a boxing kangaroo, sadly it came out towards the end of the mega drives life and many people never got a chance to experience it.

Streets of Rage 1 is my fave out of the 3. I've not played it for years now. i love those Freddy Kruger type bosses in it. And that last level where you had to decide if you were going to join the bad guys or not.

First time through the game I joined them, and suffered the consequences, my face was like this -> :P .

The tune from the first level of Streets of Rage is probably the best piece of music I've ever heard in a game. It fucking rocks- I really wish some enterprising dance music producer would do a cover with really high quality instruments, so that non-geeks can witness the power.

Streets of Rage 2

This is the pincle of the series, featuring some fantastic levels, such as the begining outside the shops, inside a pub, in the woods and on a suspention bridge. The enemys are full of character from the shady geezers who knife you to the fat blokes who belly bounce you.

It's the best Glasgow-City-Center-on-an-Old-Firm-Matchday sim of all time.

Streets of Rage 2

It's the best Glasgow-City-Center-on-an-Old-Firm-Matchday sim of all time.

Are you American?

Well, the difficulty levels were "unnaturally" bumped up (the Jap version had V.Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard & V.Hard by default, the western versions had V.Easy and Easy removed), but that wasn't what annoyed me. What annoyed was the sheer grunt of bosses who had stupid attack patterns and were very difficult to hit, like those girls who flipped out and killed you a lot, in the dark, on the first level, or the monstrosity of a last boss which didn't compare to the second game's.

So it's not that it was hard, more fiddly.

I think a few things have been missed:

- The sheer wealth of moves and the ease of pulling them off.

- SOR3 implemented a clever special move system. If the 'stamina bar' was full, the player would not lose energy for performing a special move (which would normally cost health to perform).

- SOR3 also had a cool system in which the player received 'stars' which increase their attack power if they defeated enough enemies without dying. Also, weapons were given a limited lifespan and could be used in conjunction with the 'blitz attacks'.

- SOR2 was the first 16 Meg cart for the MD.

- Keyboard type music = MIDI. It ruled. Especially in no.1 and 2. No.3 wasn't so shit hot.

- SOR3 should be the best version - more moves, more challenge, less linearity, more endings but it's missing the X factor - I attribute this to the music of No2.

The tune from the first level of Streets of Rage is probably the best piece of music I've ever heard in a game. It fucking rocks- I really wish some enterprising dance music producer would do a cover with really high quality instruments, so that non-geeks can witness the power.

POST MP3S PLZ

Street Of Rage was excellent. Particularly for perfecting the insincere "oops" that progressed to "okay, truce now" ending in "I don't care if you are Blaze, you are so dead beeaaaatch". Ah, two player (un)co-operative mode.

When I play it now (being mature and all, plus playing it solo rather than just co-op) it's incredibly good fun. I believe Streets Of Rage 3 is wrongly trashed by a lot of people. It's very much in the same league as 2, even if not quite as good.

The thing that I remember most about the original Streets of Rage (apart from the early-nineties pumping house soundtrack, natch) is that whenever you started a two-player game, the first thing somebody would do is press 'A' and waste their smartbomb.

And no matter who was playing, someone would say "But if they've got that car with the big gun on it, why don't they just drive to the end of the level?". CRAZY!

the music forgetable

What utter lies. Streets of Rage had some of the best music to ever grace the Megadrive.

SoR 3 was definitely the weak point of the series, and even the soundtrack wasn't up to the standard of the previous games.

Another innocent game...until you play it.

What does that actually mean?

Well its one of them games i doubt many people though much about till they actually played it, it wasnt anticipated like MGS2 or anything like that.

Or maybe im writting giberish.

'The special move used up some of your life energy' - nah, you had tokens, like Revenge of Shinobi. But hey, it's been twelve years(!!!1), easy to forget little things like that.

SOR is one of my favourite game series of all time, I even wrote some long waffly articles about it. #1 had blinding music, #2 blew away everything in the genre (even in the arcades) at the time of release, and #3 although not exactly a classic, conjures up the amusing thought of a rather bemused Sega/Ancient daring each other to spend the huge budget on making the game as ridiculous as possible, in full-on Kuso-Ge style.

I'd like Sega to make a new one, but they'd only get one of their remedial studios (or some no-name external contractors) to ruin it.

Streets 2 was my favourite game of the series. I remember using the cheat to access the v. hard difficulty, and enjoying it even more. For me, it improved on all aspects of SoR.

The 3rd game 'feels' like 2, so with it's greater variety of moves, enemies and playing styles it should be the best in the series. However, I found the increased difficulty brought about by cheap enemies and weakened moves spoiled it somewhat.

Also, I don't suffer from epilepsy, but I felt pretty uncomfortable as that fight in the disco dragged on and on. Surely a scene like that wouldn't be allowed in a game today?

'The special move used up some of your life energy' - nah, you had tokens, like Revenge of Shinobi. But hey, it's been twelve years(!!!1), easy to forget little things like that.

In SoR you had tokens and the special attack involved cops and RPGs.

In SoR2/3 you had nice special attacks which depleted your life energy a little in exchange for (if used properly) enemy devastation.

Soundtracks to 1 and 2 are absolutely unforgettable genius, and SoR2, simply for its design qualities and vast abundance of moves (3x as many per character as Final Fight) is the pinnacle of the genre.