IGNORED

Final Fantasy XV

Broker

The button to reel in on PS4 is R2 I think so I assume RT on the Xbox One.

The thing is though you only hold it in to reel in until the bar starts flashing red - the tension is too much on the line at that point.  When it flashes red, let go of reel in, until it goes white again, then resume reeling and using the stick to point in the right direction. :)

Release R2 as soon as the tension is white, I'd say. If you leave it until it's red you'll be damaging the line, and with the biggest fish this isn't something you want as the damage piles on super fast. Source: landing the fucking Liege of the twatting Lake, twice, when I didn't want to even hook him, and then not being able to hook him at all once I picked the quest up but hooking every other fish in the lake, and then eventually doing so twice when my line was just too damaged to land him both times.

I really do not get the combat in this.... it's just so unwieldy. 99.9% of fights I've just sat there holding the Circle button, parry at random with the odd bit of warping.  It's often way too busy to actually work out what's going on. I like the idea of the Wait command but even that seems odd.

Fishing wise, the better reels and rods make a big difference.

The combat is weird, you can get through a lot of the earlier bits just holding circle and when you get to enemies who are too hard or awkward for that it won't tell you what else to do. 

Combat tips:

The warp attack is stronger the further away you are, that's how the multiplier underneath works. Point warp to the far places then warp back to increase damage.

The colour of the damage numbers indicates the effectiveness of the attack. White is normal damage, purple means your attack is ineffective, orange means it's good, green is worst as it means it's healing them. The enemies are weak to different things, either elements or the type of weapon. You can work out what's effective much quicker than waiting for Ignis' scans this way.

Magic is awesome, start using it.

30 minutes ago, Broker said:

Magic is awesome, start using it.

Also, unless you are confident at blocking and parrying with heavy weapons, stick to swords and pole-arms for Noct - these are the only weapons which enable joint attacks with Glad and fast aerial combos, both of which are really useful.  Daggers are best left to Ignis.

Cheers for the tips guys! Will give it a proper go later on!

Really loving this so far - Still getting my head around the combat but so far I seem to be doing alright.

Don't really have a clue what's going on in the story (Will get round to watching Kingsglaive soon) but I love the chattering amongst the party as you're roaming around. I think it's the first JRPG I've played in ages where I don't actively hate a single party member!

3 hours ago, Jimmy Shedders said:

Don't really have a clue what's going on in the story (Will get round to watching Kingsglaive soon) but I love the chattering amongst the party as you're roaming around. I think it's the first JRPG I've played in ages where I don't actively hate a single party member!

I really would stop playing and wait til you watch it. Only 2 hours long and improves the story experience massively. Characters just appear with no reason in the game yet are fleshed out as they should be in the film.

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I really would stop playing and wait til you watch it. Only 2 hours long and improves the story experience massively. Characters just appear with no reason in the game yet are fleshed out as they should be in the film.

I wouldn't really say anything much is fleshed out in the film- it must be 90% combat.

14 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

Getting to Altissia has just killed this for me. It's shit to navigate, too narrow, too many gondolas to ride in, and the frame rate is shit.

I was underwhelmed by Altissia.  When I arrived, the only available hunts seemed to be low level and not worth bothering with, as you say the navigation is awkward and the product placement grotesque.  Obviously a lot of work has gone into the design but I just wanted to push on with the story and not take my time there, so largely wasted effort.  I am sure opinions differ though, especially if you get into the monster betting!

2 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

I wouldn't really say anything much is fleshed out in the film- it must be 90% combat.

Well in the first few hours you get loads of cut scenes and bits of hardly explained story which don't spell out much at all. The film takes place shortly after the game starts and ties it all together.

It's also bloody awful.

just read a wiki article to get the few bits and pieces which aren't explained directly in the game and spend those two hours watching something actually good instead.

I made the mistake of watching it, it lives up to the 'standards' set by Square's other CG film attempts

I've just spent ages having a BLOODY intense time clearing out an entire dungeon, culminating in beating 3 rounds of multiple red giants and medusa things.

And now the game seems to have fucked up a load. It's just a black screen, I can pause it but nothing else. Jumping or attacking results in the sounds you'd expectect so it seems like the game has semi crashed.

Can't open a menu to fast travel or anything :(

Has anyone else had this? I dont want to have to kill the same monsters again. Well I do want to kill the same monsters, just in different areas.

On 28/12/2016 at 23:52, Jonathan_Kerr said:

I can't help but feel that Square realised that FFXV might not turn out as well as hoped, so they are using it as a dry-run for FFVII: Remake. Imagine a FFVII battle system like FFXV, except you could switch between Barrett, Tifa, Cloud and co on the fly. That'd be pretty cool to play around with. For me, ATB was fun, but going with that for the remake would run the risk of it being a superficial remake.

I think it's more that SE desperately tried to appeal to mainstream western gamers with this. They've jettisoned a shitload of lore and character side quests that were planned, though these may get added back in as DLC, to streamline it all aggressively and not scare anyone off.

I think it's wonderful, but you can sometimes see where some pretty swingeing cuts might have have been made.

On 13/12/2016 at 09:07, Wickedkitten said:

If you have Ignis make that mother and child dish, it increases your drop rate by 50%

Dunno if anyone's replied to this but to get the sturdy helixhorn you have to find a duplicorn and focus on its head with physical attacks. If you get the 'break' text appear then that should give to you a sturdy helixhorn every time. Least it has for me.

47 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Still absolutely loving this, but when the trophy for chapter 9 popped, I was pretty surprised a month after release that it was a rare one with just 39%

I can't put it down!

Not very rare then :lol:. Useful though for the devs to know how the fanbase is progressing, and where the inevitable drop outs occur (seems a reasonable % to me for the population as a whole).

I believe the diamond achievements on the Bone are limited to <10% at the time of earning - the rarest one that popped for me in this was to fully upgrade cooking.  

I've just done chapters 8-12 and the game has gone from decent to an embarrassment. The Leviathan fight was one of the worst parts I've seen in a game, just terrible. I'm on the much-discussed chapter 13 now, with no clue as to what's going on any more. I'm just ploughing through the rest now.

Finished! I had no idea what was going on for most of the game, I don't think Square Enix did either. It's certainly up there with Driv3r as one of the worst big budget games I've played.

I'm off to read Wikipedia to find out what the game was about.

Enjoying this. If you didn't watch Kingslgaive or (to a lesser degree) Brotherhood, you probably wont know what's going on.

I just found out there's a portable MP3 player in the game, so now I'll be listening to "The Man With the Machine Gun" from FF8 a lot on foot, as well as in the car :)