IGNORED

Final Fantasy XV

Broker

I really enjoyed the Leviathan fight, loved the ending segment and actually felt emotionally attached to the characters. I'm on chapter 12 now, so just before the start of the bad times, but I'm still loving it. I wonder if spending 40 hours in the open world clarified a few things for me through repetition, I'm not finding it confusing and I haven't watched brotherhood and gave up half an hour into Kingsglaive.

I utterly adore this game.

Chapter 13 wasn't even that bad, please dont get carried away on the hate train. Not every segment in every game has to have you blowing away ancestral gods left right and centre. It was quite shit though, right enough.

It was a change of pace, making Noctis vulnerable, alone and scared before the climactic stuff ramps the pace back up to a million miles an hour with his buddies. It is what it is! It could be improved of course. Don't think we needed the key card nonsense for example. But i hope SE don't buff up the ring power too much, as they are talking about for the patch. Though the promised added cutscenes would be a good way of improving it probably.

8 minutes ago, Simply Marvellous said:

I utterly adore this game.

Chapter 13 wasn't even that bad, please dont get carried away on the hate train. Not every segment in every game has to have you blowing away ancestral gods left right and centre. It was quite shit though, right enough.

It was a change of pace, making Noctis vulnerable, alone and scared before the climactic stuff ramps the pace back up to a million miles an hour with his buddies. It is what it is! It would be improved of course. Don't think we ended the key card nonsense for example. But i hope SE don't buff up the ring power too much, as they are talking about for the patch. Though the promised added cutscenes would be a good way of improving it probably.

It was incredibly boring for several hours. 

I had to stop myself half way through chapter 14 last night as it was back to work day today. Boo.

I think this game is amazing. Sure, it's not perfect. I could write a book on the flaws, but you know, I probably could apply the same criticisms to the older games everyone loves. Anyone who says FFVII had a completely well paced cohesive narrative and no duff bits is mental. That's not to say it doesn't deserve its classic status though. FFVIII is held up as a classic too, but I bet if neogaf was around at the time they would have lost their shit at that bit at the end when you - guess what - lose all your abilities.

What has made this game so amazing for me is that it has taken a series I used to absolutely adore in the Snes and PS1 days, and completely managed to recapture the feel and sense of wonder again. X was too linear. I adored XII, but it was all very serious and the older games were always a little camp and silly. Less said about XIII the better. This gets back that old feel perfectly. At the start of the game leaving Insomnia, I noticed a sign on a wall pointing out that beyond lay dangerous beasts and daemons or something, and I thought I wonder if that's just a random sign. Sure enough, nice and brave after 45 hours with my team now in their mid 60's I head back and find a huge elaborate dungeon full of hidden switches, with a mid boss and utterly mental final boss fight. Just a perfect old school RPG experience.

Tearing about the world on a Chocobo looking for secrets made me grin like a loon. I've fought Tonberries and Cactaurs and men with silly hair in dresses. I've taken every photo for Vyv and ventured into Malmalam Thicket for Dave the hunter. I even got a Gryphon feather for that scientist lady and lolled that I had to kill 5 of them before it dropped, like every Gryphon doesn't have feathers right? The idiosyncrasies just make me love it even more :wub: That bit where the

Adamantoise

is revealed? Holy fucking shitballs :)

I hope that they keep this format for at least the next couple of games. A little tweak here and there, but this template is gaming perfection for me, and I'm so glad I can say that about a series I'd fallen out with over the last few years. Now I can go proper FF fanboy all over again.

10/10. Noct it out of the park. Now to polish it off tonight and hit up the end game. I wanna see that Regalia fly baby.

8 minutes ago, Oz said:

have they released that patch that changes chapter 13 yet? do you chaps know when that is supposed to be out? thanks!

I think that will be a while off yet, I'm going to wait for the GOTY edition on this game that way I can play the fixed repair complete version.

As I've said before, I think if you're waiting on that mythical beast to be slain, you'll be waiting in vain. The issues with the infamous chapter 13 are unlikely to be completely resolved, and in any case they're sometimes exaggerated. Same's true of the general story/plotting. There are definitely problems with both of these but, as with the camera, they're so ingrained into the fabric of the game I doubt they'll ever be remedied. All Tabata has said so far about changing Ch.13 is that a certain weapon will be made more powerful - and that would, imo, actually make the chapter worse (or at least more pointless). The story 'fix' will simply consist of dropping a few more cutscenes in. But I expect those to just show some of the events that you'd have picked up on anyway if you'd read all the notes/logs and regularly tuned in to radio stations along the way - I suspect anyone saying they had no idea what was going on simply didn't do this.

XV has some issues, but I don't think the patch which you speak of, which I wouldn't expect for the best part of a year, will ever really sort them out. You might want to wait for a GOTY edition anyway for other reasons, but I wouldn't bother if that's why you're waiting.

I quite fancy buying a digital GOTY version super cheap in a sale and replaying it* - realistically a couple of years away probably.  I fretted too much about team control issues first time round and wasted a fair bit of time.  Also, I only went into the final story sequence because on a rainy day hunting for toads I had overlooked my chocobo renewal and couldn't reach the targets before the damn sun appeared.

* this worked well for me with Dragon Age Inquisition which is around £10 on sale.

I don't care so much about the story patch, as I think that making any changes to it at this point runs the risk of making it even more of a cut and paste job than it already is, but I'm annoyed that they've gone radio silent about the ps pro performance patch. Especially when they must have known a while ago they weren't going to hit the December release date.

I've just started chapter 3 now and don't know whether to hold off for now if it's a while off, or carry on. Just hope they don't decide to lump the performance patch onto the story patch, although that would make the decision easier.

Picked up the Platinum trophy today, not hard just grindy.

A good game, not great.

It didi have all the makings of a great game but the non existent combat system lets it down along with the really minimal story and character development. Story may be added in patches but i doubt they'll make further changes to gameplay now, more lessons to learn for their next title i guess...

Well, it might be because I've spent the last few weeks hearing about how awful it was, but I didn't think chapter 13 was that bad. It was weirdly long, but it was also basically just an enforced dungeon with a few restrictions, I did it in about two hours with no deaths.

Spoiler

I wonder if maybe me increasing my MP in the ascension grid, and also having the nodes for increased magic potency, might have made the ring more effective? I'm also level 65, so I have a fair amount of HP and stuff. I thought it was going to be a really long enforced stealth section or something, so having the ring was a relief. I actually quite like the powers it gives you, I used it loads after I got my other powers back. The dodge which hurts people was enough to kill anything I came across including the giant. 

It wasn't the best bit of the game so far but it wasn't that bad, it felt very FFIII at times but it didn't bother me. On to the ending now, 64 hours in :) 

Completely agree. I thought chapter 13 was fine.

The bit that came after

with Bahamut imprisoning Noctis for 10 years because reasons

threw me a lot more. As much as I want to defend the game because I adore the actual gameplay, the story really left me puzzled at times, though I'm kind of erring towards the conclusion that

every fucker died

:(

Referring to Broker's spoilered comment, I hadn't spent anything on my magic grid at all and I went through chapter 13 without issue. I don't think it's in the least difficult, it just goes on too long. There's another element, aside from length, that some people object to, but that's been done before in FF games and I didn't really have an issue with that either. For me, the issue was mainly just that it dragged on too long and felt in gameplay terms to be a bit pointless, as it was trivially easy, so became fairly tedious.

I also didn't think the time gap mentioned by Gizamaluke was a problem in itself. I didn't want anything to be 'fleshed out' within that gap. I just think that the afterwards bit, though initially an effective contrast, was far too perfunctory, and having just about nothing happen between that and the very end section didn't do the story or the characters justice. That's one part that could do with some fleshing out, though I can understand why, dramatically, you mightn't want to allow a lot of extra gameplay in that section. There's an unstoppable impetus by that point, an overwhelming agenda, and to allow you to go off and do some side quests at that stage might undermine that. Maybe they should have allowed you to go back and revisit that section after the game's finished and do some optional exploration/questing though, same as they do with the rest of the world. Unlikely that it'll happen in any update, mind.

3 hours ago, Broker said:

Well, it might be because I've spent the last few weeks hearing about how awful it was, but I didn't think chapter 13 was that bad. It was weirdly long, but it was also basically just an enforced dungeon with a few restrictions, I did it in about two hours with no deaths.

Hide contents

I wonder if maybe me increasing my MP in the ascension grid, and also having the nodes for increased magic potency, might have made the ring more effective? I'm also level 65, so I have a fair amount of HP and stuff. I thought it was going to be a really long enforced stealth section or something, so having the ring was a relief. I actually quite like the powers it gives you, I used it loads after I got my other powers back. The dodge which hurts people was enough to kill anything I came across including the giant. 

It wasn't the best bit of the game so far but it wasn't that bad, it felt very FFIII at times but it didn't bother me. On to the ending now, 64 hours in :) 

I think you were probably massively over levelled for it.