IGNORED

Final Fantasy XV

Broker

About the ring:

Spoiler

I just kept getting stuck because the spells took too long to cast, and the enemies would interrupt the casting. I think it was the most frustrating part of the game for me - I just had to run away from multiple enemies, separate them, and then do the holy dodge attack. It was a mess. Why did it take twenty seconds to cast a spell?

4 hours ago, Thwomp said:

About the ring:

Hide contents

I just kept getting stuck because the spells took too long to cast, and the enemies would interrupt the casting. I think it was the most frustrating part of the game for me - I just had to run away from multiple enemies, separate them, and then do the holy dodge attack. It was a mess. Why did it take twenty seconds to cast a spell?

This is exactly why I think it's rubbish. Doing this for minutes on end isn't interesting. It's not difficult either, it's just a waste of time.

Up to chapter 11 now. 

I really like this game. I'm having a lot of fun accompanying this literal band of boys on their bizarre journey. 

It's a really odd game which makes it all the more intriguing. It's mechanically great - when considering the Battle System - but so many other aspects of the game borderline on awful.. it just makes the whole thing super weird and interesting. 

..to contrast, I found the Witcher 3 to be a bit of a dull slog despite its incredible world and great character writing. The combat just bored the crap out of me. FF XV is essentially the complete opposite. Weird, paper-thin world building and a mental mess of a plot with super kinetic and entertaining combat. 

Finished it yesterday. Best game I've played in a long time, and up there in my top 3 FF's of all time. 

Ending:

Spoiler

The whole part onwards from Noct getting sucked into the crystal really hit me hard. Not ashamed to say I had water in my eyes many times, it was just so emotional for me from that point through to end game. The bonds with the bro's, the realisation of his fate, the somewhat (to a lesser extent) tragic fall of Ardyn from a healer to being consumed by evil, and then wow, those ending scenes just, I can't even explain. No fan boyism here, just a genuinely tragic and brave ending to a magnificent game. 9/10.

Would strongly suggest watching this video analysing the leaked ex-employee comments on cut content etc. Feels very legit. 

I find it truly remarkable that people consider this an amazing game and one of the best in the series. 

I mean, I enjoyed it a lot overall but it's such a colossal mess compared to almost every other game in the series. It's unrefined, occasionally broken and unfinished. I don't think Square have ever made a major title so poorly. 

Have people's standards fallen so much over the years? Do big open worlds compensate that much for everything else? 

24 minutes ago, nakamura said:

I find it truly remarkable that people consider this an amazing game and one of the best in the series. 

I mean, I enjoyed it a lot overall but it's such a colossal mess compared to almost every other game in the series. It's unrefined, occasionally broken and unfinished. I don't think Square have ever made a major title so poorly. 

Have people's standards fallen so much over the years? Do big open worlds compensate that much for everything else? 

You find it remarkable that people have a different opinion to you?

27 minutes ago, nakamura said:

I don't think it's any more of a mess than most of the other games in the series, especially in terms of plot. The story and characters were intriguing and they held my interest throughout. Even with moments that feel like they were supposed to be much bigger, this has one of the most coherent plots of the entire series.

Really, the things I love about Final Fantasy have always been the stories, characters and the feeling of exploring a world. This has all those things in spades, and whilst it's far from perfect, it hits those things as well as VII and XII do, which makes it an amazing Final Fantasy game by my standards.

'What is good' is your opinion. 'What they enjoy' is not. You can't speak on behalf of other people's thoughts on the game and say they are wrong for enjoying something you don't think is good. That is pretty arrogant. 

I thought it was 'great' and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  

Not once did I say people can't enjoy it. I enjoyed it. But it's measurably poorly made. 

It's not arrogant, it's why people like Mark Kermode exist and are so trusted. When he critiques a movie, he doesn't tell people they can't or shouldn't enjoy. But there are measurables, things when held up against similar or historical products that can be compared. This game has tons and fails in so many areas. It's simply poorly made, so much they have to add stuff in to fix things. 

But forget it. Clearly people don't have the mindset. That's why every AAA scores so highly. 

7 minutes ago, nakamura said:

Not once did I say people can't enjoy it. I enjoyed it. But it's measurably poorly made. 

It's not arrogant, it's why people like Mark Kermode exist and are so trusted. When he critiques a movie, he doesn't tell people they can't or shouldn't enjoy. But there are measurables, things when held up against similar or historical products that can be compared. 

That said, yes, you do have to be honest about your gut feeling. But it is all personal. That's the other thing: objective film criticism is just nonsense. Film criticism is not objective. In the end, whether it worked for you or not is utterly subjective.

- Mark Kermode, 2015

Personally, I've never liked Kermode as a critic and seldom share his views on a film - so in that sense I don't trust his views at all. He's right about the complete subjectivity of 'good' and 'bad' in art and entertainment, though.

You said you find it remarkable people can't differentiate from what is good and what they enjoy? 

Your opinion is it's not good. My opinion is that it is good. 'Good' is subjective, you don't get to decide that on behalf of everyone. Neither do I. It was good/great to me. It was not to you. I respect your opinion, and appreciate you have different expectations of what is a good game than me.

On the probably not interesting discussion of enjoyment vs quality, I do think people could stand to be a bit more critical of games in an analytical sense. Even with things I enjoy, I can recognise faults and things that could be improved and I quite like working out why I do or don't like something.

I enjoyed FFXV but it had a number of problems. It didn't stop me putting 80 hours into but 80 hours of my life doesn't mean it was an unqualified success either.

I wish they'd thought about some QoL improvements to the quest system. Welp I've killed a space cat, Guess I better trek 50 miles to the Little Chef and tell the bloke behind the counter about it and get another single bounty because you can't stack them. Your character has a sodding mobile phone!

Who thought it was a good idea to make the jump button the same button for doing other actions, like trying to pick something up or ride a chocobo? Even with the prompt on screen to ride it, you often jump once or twice before the button does what it should.

I just don't understand how such obvious stuff doesn't get picked up on right at the start of testing- it's almost like they scrapped what they had of previous iterations of the game and didn't have time to check the most basic stuff making this final version, like the white text appearing on pale backgrounds.

I watched footage of the original game for the PS3 the other day, it looked much more polished in combat. The camera looked locked and sorted. I totally agree with the above - I think they scrapped everything fairly late into development. 

In terms of development, I've been reading a lot of the leaks and rumours about the production that I couldn't before for fear of spoilers.

One thing that makes absolute sense to me was a bit of one of the 4chan leaks that said that Nomura's version was planned as a trilogy. I would assume that if this game was once supposed to be 3, it would make sense for the first game to be the open world segment of this, the second game to be another open world set on the basic map of chapters 9-13 but not locked to the train path and the third game would take place in a massively expanded version of chapter 14. It would make sense that Nomura's team would have tonnes of assets ready for their game (the open world bit if this one), but much less done of their two sequels. Then Tabata's team were tasked with consolidating the whole thing into one game, which is why the story, characters and locations for the second half of the game are so underdeveloped compared to the first half.

What's really weird is that the Platimum demo has that driving physics demo and two of the trailers show off road driving so that must have been cut incredibly late. A few other things that were apparently close but not quite done:

Spoiler

Apparently there was a longer area leading to the Shiva statue, a short visit to Tenebrae that got interrupted by a daemon attack and a world of ruin version of lestallum where you met Cidney and Iris. All supposedly scrapped very close to the end of development.