IGNORED

Final Fantasy XV

Broker

54 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Cup Noodles are an entirely different brand to Pot Noodles, owned by an entirely different company (Nissin as opposed to Unilever). Pot Noodles were first introduced in the UK in 1977 by Golden Wonder, and represent an entirely westernised take on the ramen genre - a thick, powerfully-flavoured sauce and largely synthetic meat-substitute ingredients to flavour the noodles. Nissin, on the other hand, was founded by Momofuku Ando, inventor of the first ramen noodle in 1953; continuing that line, Nissin's Cup Noodle is the typical and original Asian type - a thin, soup-like base with dehydrated seafood, pork, chicken and beef forming the flavour elements of the recipe. The two types and brands couldn't be more different, given that they both share the core concept of dehydrated noodles eaten from a disposable cup. They're also both readily available in the UK, so localisation is no more necessary than it would be when dealing with the occurrence of Camembert in a Ubisoft product - changing it to Red Leicester wouldn't solve any problems that need to be solved. Plus, it was Nissan who bunged them the money, not Unilever.

So there's really no need to change the product - you can't improve upon perfection. When comparing Cup Noodles to their Western imitations, the key difference is that Cup Noodles are about crafting that perfect blend of meat, egg and shrimp - that harmony of flavours is key. FFXV makes you appreciate how delicious Cup Noodles really are.

Who cares anyway? Everyone knows advertising doesn't work.

This has been the most interesting post I have read in this thread! 

Went back to this after a time away.  I'm only in Chapter 3, about 15 hours in.

Anyway I had my first death - a silly one, it wasn't even a boss, just an annoying close quarters fight where I didn't prioritise my targets properly.  It was probably a semi-boss fight, involving waves of enemies at the bottom of a cave.

Very frustrating to have to re-do an entire dungeon! Hmph...

I'm fairly far in now, but I've always got this thing with rpg's where I have to do everything, thus I'm way overlevelled, and am now faffing about trying to get more ascension coins. I'm sure Gorf will be along shortly to tell me to "Get on with it!" :lol:

I finished this yesterday. It's a fantastically fun complete mess of a game that's practically meme worthy on every level, but it's totally great fun. Such an odd game. 

The battle system is the best of any jrpg I've played, yes holding circle will give you constant DPS output, but vary those button presses and move the left stick about and all sorts of cool shit comes out. 

I also had had no problem with ch. 13, and instead found it to be quite an enjoyablely meaty part of the game. It's the labyrinth leading to the foe. 

5 hours ago, Broker said:

What level are you? I absolutely destroyed the final boss doing it at level 65.

Currently lvl 71, companions are 70 I think. Been doing all the sidequests (not all the hunts though) and I haven't even done all the dungeons (need to do 2). And that's not including the optional dungeons and world bosses later.

There's lots of little things hidden in the game as well that you wont find if you don't look everywhere, as well as optional conversations between characters that only pop up in certain areas and circumstances. Brilliant game so far.

2 hours ago, Bleeders said:

I've never finished a FF game before. But I'm on Chapter 5 and quite thoroughly enjoying this. I particularly like how your character level tends to scale through regular story progression. Does it continue like this throughout the game?

Pretty much, if you B-line the story mode, you'll be around the correct level through out. 

It's totally worth doing a bunch of the side missions in the open world and getting a bit over-levelled. I found the game to be generally the most fun if I was a few levels over the recommended mission level. There's loads of cool weird shit in the open world to check out.  

Some of the lines that are seemingly randomly spoken are great.

In Crestholm Channels (probably in any dark dungeon really):

Prompto: "Use the shiny sword!"

Noctis: "Which sword?"

Gladio: "Dont you have one that glows in the dark?"

Ignis: "The power of kings, and reduced to using a torch"

:lol:

12 hours ago, mikeyl said:

Spent over an hour taking down a turtle. That's objectively tedious by any measure, but there we go, love it. Of all the games to Platinum, this'll be the first one.

Looking at the list I've only got three or four left, so it will probably become only the third game I've ever got platinum on.

It's an incredibly easy game to platinum, if that's your thing. You don't have to even complete any (let alone all) of the optional post-game dungeons (the ones with keys), or complete all the quests, or get all the optional weapons, or kill the hardest foes in the game, or the highest level enemy you'll encounter - which is definitely not the turtle because that thing's a pushover, albeit a grindy one. Some guides suggest you use a certain weapon for the turtle, but that weapon's only available from a particular enemy who's much harder to kill/higher-levelled than the turtle, and to kill that enemy some people suggest using armour that's far, far harder to come by (due to RNG/grinding/toughness of battle) than probably anything else in the game. I didn't have either when I did him, and it was trivially easy although a bit dull as it took half an hour. You can do the turtle in if you're way lower than the turtle itself; it'll just take a yawnsome length of time to whittle his enormous HP pool down.

It's a bit odd that some of the game's harder challenges don't figure in the trophies at all, so I have to assume Square wanted the platinum to be easily achievable.

42 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

So is this game a return to form for FF then?

Ever since XII the emo characters have put me off.

Pretty much, yes I'd say.

Not tried 12 though, so cant comment on that, but its being re-released soon, and in remastered form to boot, so will probably have a crack at it.

1 hour ago, mansizerooster said:

So is this game a return to form for FF then?

Ever since XII the emo characters have put me off.

Nomura was only character design duties this time. So although the characters all look like a bunch of mopey naval gazing anime prettyboys they're actually okay.

Did Costlemark Tower last night. Good grief. Had an annoying camera bug, which I know Gorf also had, where it was stuck and couldn't be moved. Reddit to the rescue though, and one of your companions using a potion or the like will unstick the camera, if only temporarily, allowing you to at least carry on. It will keep happening though until you exit and can save and then reload, which fixes it.

Other than that not really had that many issues, other than one where I couldn't warp outside combat, and another where wait mode didn't work briefly.

Brilliant game regardless though.